Speculation: Armchair GM Thread 2021-22 VI (the one where we ALMOST got Eichel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I want Toffoli from Montreal or Brown from Ottawa fits our needs perfectly and both teams need and I think want Monahan
I like both those players but I don't think losing Monahan, to aquire either of them, makes us a better team or would be considered good asset management. If I'm eyeing up these guys, I'm thinking Zad + a couple 2nds, pushing Pitlick down the lineup and inserting Valimaki. Retaining on Monahan, with one year remaining during the offseason, is the best way to get peak value out of him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like both those players but I don't think losing Monahan, to aquire either of them, makes us a better team or would be considered good asset management. If I'm eyeing up these guys, I'm thinking Zad + a couple 2nds, pushing Pitlick down the lineup and inserting Valimaki. Retaining on Monahan, with one year remaining during the offseason, is the best way to get peak value out of him.

If we are keeping Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Kylington long term we can't afford Monahan imo. Moving him for a cheaper right handed RWer that fits the age make up of the team I think it does make us better over the next few years.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I rarely ever make trade proposals but...

Jim Benning has the go ahead to make some serious changes to the roster and culture of his club..
What about a trade of Matthew Tkachuk for Elias Pettersson? Fair? Ridiculous? Would never happen? What do you think?

Edit: Assuming that Tkachuk can come to an agreement (with either the Flames or Canucks) before the trade on a long term contract extension in the $9-10M AAV range.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Jim Benning has the go ahead to make some serious changes to the roster and culture of his club..
What about a trade of Matthew Tkachuk for Elias Pettersson? Fair? Ridiculous? Would never happen? What do you think?

interesting for sure.

I don’t think there will be a lot of interest in Tkachuk unless he’s willing to sign like Jones. Jordan Kyrou is who I would target but who knows.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

You really want to play a pissed off Tkachuk 4 times a year?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If we are keeping Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Kylington long term we can't afford Monahan imo. Moving him for a cheaper right handed RWer that fits the age make up of the team I think it does make us better over the next few years.
And I don't disagree with that. If Mangi and Kylington's play continues, it'll make it really tough to sign all 4, even without Monahan. What I'm saying is that you still have to maximize his value and thats retained, in the offseason, with one year remaining.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I might not have been on board with Eichel, but Petterson? Sign me up, even at the cost of Chucky. It can only be good for the rivalry playing against former teammates.

Johnny - Petey - Mangi
Dube - Mony - Lindy
Coleman - Backlund - Pitlick
Looch - Gawdin - Duehr

That's a lineup I can eff with.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't see the Flames having the balls to make that trade but combine it with a couple of other moves and you've got one of the best rosters in the league.

Offer Monahan for a high compete level RW, maybe even Forsberg himself could be had considering his expiring contract status (but you have to have a plan in place to re-sign)

Callup Pellettier, Phillips, and one of Ruzicka or Zary (depending on genuine merit of course)

Sign Coronato

Gaudreau - Pettersson - Forsberg
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Coronato
Pellettier/Dube - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Dube/Ruzicka/Zary - Phillips

Dube plays wherever one of the rookies underperforms, of course.

you can keep Trevor Lewis around because Veteranz

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I wonder what Seattle is prepared to do. I thought they took wrong approach but in the end it looks like they will be in the Wright sweepstakes anyways. They should of took some high salaried vets and youngster players like Kylington and build through the '21-23 drafts.

Soo if they decide to go that route I see lots of options especially up front for us. I wonder if we could make a move for both Eberle and Gourde in a package? Thinking Monohan, Valimaki and our two 2nds could be bandied about.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
And I don't disagree with that. If Mangi and Kylington's play continues, it'll make it really tough to sign all 4, even without Monahan. What I'm saying is that you still have to maximize his value and thats retained, in the offseason, with one year remaining.

How much more do you honestly think we can get with a flat cap and monahan isn't looking like the 30 goal scorer anymore.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
How much more do you honestly think we can get with a flat cap and monahan isn't looking like the 30 goal scorer anymore.
Quite a bit actually, 1st +, with retained salary. I find it quite amusing that the same people like to scream mismanagement with Bennett, but are so quick to call Monahan a bum in the same situation. If anything, Monahan's PP production has shown that he can still produce with top end talent. He isn't a play driver but can still put it home when it counts. Brett Hull made a career out of it. Honestly, I think it would have to be a career year and a perfect fit for either of Toffoli or Brown to ever return a 1st.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Quite a bit actually, 1st +, with retained salary. I find it quite amusing that the same people like to scream mismanagement with Bennett, but are so quick to call Monahan a bum in the same situation. If anything, Monahan's PP production has shown that he can still produce with top end talent. He isn't a play driver but can still put it home when it counts. Brett Hull made a career out of it

Who's calling him a bum? I'm literally one of the most vocal Monahan supporters here. I'm willing to bet almost anything Calgary is not trading Monahan for futures and not retaining any salary. Depending on the 1st I'd argue toffoli or Brown are worth more

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Edit: Assuming that Tkachuk can come to an agreement (with either the Flames or Canucks) before the trade on a long term contract extension in the $9-10M AAV range.

Tkachuk is being driven to the airport by me and somebody else in this thread if that trade is offered up.

Top line winger<<<Top line centre

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I find it quite amusing that the same people like to scream mismanagement with Bennett, but are so quick to call Monahan a bum in the same situation.

Because literally everything 93 brought was something you want more of, 20+ minutes a night of it pulling guys like Gaudreau up with his skillset rather than needing Gaudreau to pull him up.

Everything 23 brings starts and ends with a binary "did he score?".

Scoring alone is not enough, that's why the Jets traded Laine for Dubois, and it's why Jonathan Toews, Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron, Ryan O'Rielly, Nick Backstrom, and Sidney Crosby accounted for 10 out of 10 cups in the 2010s, and Brayden Point is 2-for-2 in the 2020s. Great centres do it all. Sam Bennett does it all. Even with Barkov injured he's putting the Panthers in the driver's seat with his allaround game.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Tkachuk is being driven to the airport by me and somebody else in this thread if that trade is offered up.

Top line winger<<<Top line centre

Something is not right with Petersson but I’d still do that deal

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Because literally everything 93 brought was something you want more of, 20+ minutes a night of it pulling guys like Gaudreau up with his skillset rather than needing Gaudreau to pull him up.

Everything 23 brings starts and ends with a binary "did he score?".

Scoring alone is not enough, that's why the Jets traded Laine for Dubois, and it's why Jonathan Toews, Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron, Ryan O'Rielly, Nick Backstrom, and Sidney Crosby accounted for 10 out of 10 cups in the 2010s, and Brayden Point is 2-for-2 in the 2020s. Great centres do it all. Sam Bennett does it all. Even with Barkov injured he's putting the Panthers in the driver's seat with his allaround game.

not to argue your point but Barkov has been injured for 1 game lol
They are not going far without him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad