Speculation: Armchair GM Thread 2021-22 VI (the one where we ALMOST got Eichel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
To have an elite center like Pettersson for 82 games a year... I'd do it.

LOL

Tkachuk is literally a better player in every aspect of hockey except straight line speed.

And Pettersson is not elite, not even close.

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
LOL

Tkachuk is literally a better player in every aspect of hockey except straight line speed.

And Pettersson is not elite, not even close.

Better edges, better playmaker, and a way better shot. Much more of an impact in transition too.

Tkachuk is a stronger player for sure, but otherwise I ain't sold.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I don't even know how someone can look a Pettersson and look at Tkachuk and say the latter is a better hockey player, or even better in most aspects of the game

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Quite a bit actually, 1st +, with retained salary. I find it quite amusing that the same people like to scream mismanagement with Bennett, but are so quick to call Monahan a bum in the same situation. If anything, Monahan's PP production has shown that he can still produce with top end talent. He isn't a play driver but can still put it home when it counts. Brett Hull made a career out of it. Honestly, I think it would have to be a career year and a perfect fit for either of Toffoli or Brown to ever return a 1st.

Connor Brown and Toffoli's values are 100% higher than Monahan, if we had the opportunity to do a one for one trade with Monahan for either of these players we would be absolute fools not to do it.

You want Monahan and his 2 goals on PP1 over Mang or Tyler Toffoli? You want Monahan out at 5v5 with Mang over Connor Brown who is a legit 2nd line RW that looked absolutely amazing with Mang at the Worlds?

Also we really won't be able to afford Monahan past this year either way and I agree I would sell him for the highest offer, and we can't even retain that much cause we're gonna be so tight for cash. We have like 7 mil coming off the books and are gonna need like 12 mil just for Johnny, Chucky, Mang and Kylington, if we retain on Monahan we could retain maybe 1 mil and we couldn't even make any other upgrades.If we have a chance at a 1st, Toffoli or Brown Brad would be a clown for not accepting

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't even know how someone can look a Pettersson and look at Tkachuk and say the latter is a better hockey player, or even better in most aspects of the game

You can. If you look solely from a specific angle and willingly ignore other facets of the other guy's game.

Both guys are unicorns in their own right. Both have strengths that are the glaring weakness of the other guy. A combination of Pettersson and Tkachuk isn't stacking redundant attributes. That would be one hell of a scary player.

There's excruciatingly few players with Tkachuk's total package. There's basically no one with Pettersson's weird but elite shot and stick work.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I don't often throw out possible moves, but what about asking on Greenway? He's improved through his 1st 3 years in Minny, and was looking like a longtime surefire top 6 winger lastyear. Not sure what is going on this year, but he only has 3 assists on a surprisingly good team. Not getting as much icetime either. He's a FA, so I don't think it'd take too much to get him, but imagine what Suter could do with him?

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

yup. Tkachuk is good at trick plays and agitation. But Petersson is better at everything else

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I would be interested in DeBrusk as a rental at the deadline, maybe an off chance he signs a cheap deal to stay in the middle six, edmonton boy, might like being back in the area

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Debrusk for Florida's 2nd at the deadline, or sooner if cap can go back or retained;

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachyk
Coleman - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Monahan - Debrusk
Lucic-Richardson/whoever - Pitlick

.... I like it, that third line is very good, especially if Mony gets going.

I've always heard when judging a teams chances to go deep in the playoffs - look at the third line, is it good? They have a chance. Would be the deepest roster/top 9/probably ever in CGY.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Devils fan here looking to pry Tkachuk in the offseason if he won't extend in CGY beyond 1 yr, what's the sense of his extension status or willingness to talk?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Devils fan here looking to pry Tkachuk in the offseason if he won't extend in CGY beyond 1 yr, what's the sense of his extension status or willingness to talk?

Hes a Tkachyk, he will be very stubborn during negotiations like his old man and his brother. He will likely sign a very similar contract to Brady (7 x8.3). Probably gets the C too.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I makes no sense to make a trade right now because the team is doing very good. But what are the chances they keep this pace up, hopefully they see what Gaudreau and Tkachuk want and go from there.

This team still needs a elite center and a top 4 Defense men.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we continue to play similar for the next three months I am all for moving some assets including our 2022 1st for a package dman/right winger for a playoff run........thinking Eberle/Giordano or Toffoli/Chiarot as a few examples............cap will be difficult though

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Elias Pettersson has been objectively worse than Sean Monahan this year - people realize that right? In fact he's looked like absolute trash for the past two seasons. Why do poor performances only effect the values of our assets around here?

Elias Pettersson (5 on 5)
265 minutes
0 goals
1 primary assist
1 secondary assist
5 hits
33% in the faceoff circle
2 penalties drawn
5 giveaways
8 takeaways
Most common linemates - Brock Boeser and JT Miller

Sean Monahan (5 on 5)
215 minutes
0 goals
2 primary assists
11 hits
52.5% in the faceoff circle
4 drawn penalties
6 giveaways
13 takeaways
Most common linemate - Trevor Lewis

Reactions: Potty John

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Elias Pettersson has been objectively worse than Sean Monahan this year - people realize that right? In fact he's looked like absolute trash for the past two seasons. Why do poor performances only effect the values of our assets around here?

265 minutes
0 goals
1 primary assist
1 secondary assist
5 hits
2 penalties drawn
5 giveaways
8 takeaways

Sean Monahan (5 on 5)
215 minutes
0 goals
2 primary assists
11 hits
4 drawn penalties
6 giveaways
13 takeaways

Pettersson on his A game is untouchable.

The fact that the Flames can even discuss acquiring a centre of that calibre is precisely because of how low is stock is right now.

Buy Low (Pettersson, Eichel, Liljegren, Pageau)

Sell High (Markstrom, Hanifin)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We're getting Pettersson like the Rangers got Eichel. The ship has sailed for centres this season. Fix the RW depth and push the chips in asap before prices skyrocket at the deadline

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Treliving should call his buddy Benning and offer him Tkachuk and Monahan for Petersson and Boeser

Tell him how these two heart and soul players can turn his soft team around

Win- Win situation. Help each others out

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

265 minutes
0 goals
1 primary assist
1 secondary assist
5 hits
2 penalties drawn
5 giveaways
8 takeaways

Sean Monahan (5 on 5)
215 minutes
0 goals
2 primary assists
11 hits
4 drawn penalties
6 giveaways
13 takeaways

I don’t know about Petersson but watching Monahan, do you honestly have hope for a turnaround?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If we continue to play similar for the next three months I am all for moving some assets including our 2022 1st for a package dman/right winger for a playoff run........thinking Eberle/Giordano or Toffoli/Chiarot as a few examples............cap will be difficult though
Not at all supportive of rental deals. They don't work. However if we are still chugging along (top 1 or 2 in the conference) as we are at the deadline I may be ok with not selling Gaudreau if he has not extended yet but if they do that then they really really shouldn't use draft/prospect capital to bolster the lineup.

Reactions: Rockmorton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig