Speculation: Armchair GM / Speculation / Rumours Thread XXIV - Beware of Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
yeah, why anyone would want a 37 yrs old bottom dman makign 5.5M for another 2 extra years?

Elliot can be a good goalie if he focus.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
There's definitely an opportunity to get a #1 goalie for next year in season. Guys like lack, Howard, fleury, varlamov and grubauer are at risk for expansion picks. With our guys UFAs we can flip one of them back for insurance (pens for example would want say Elliot to back up Murray). I wouldn't be shocked to see a fleury or varlamov coming over this year although cap issues might prevent it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No. Both Elliott and Johnson are far superior to Grubauer and Orpik's contract is absolutely ****ing awful, keep it far far far away

I'm guessing it would have to be 1st+ to be even worth considering then? I understand that not having him at all might be preferable, but what if you request something like a 2018 1st if we don't like this draft? If Washington is willing to pay, I want to listen.

yeah, why anyone would want a 37 yrs old bottom dman makign 5.5M for another 2 extra years?

Elliot can be a good goalie if he focus.

I am assuming several things.

1. Elliott isn't in the long term plans
2. We don't want to pay the pick to re-sign him.
3. We would let him walk at FA. Get something for him rather than nothing.

If that's the case, flip him for a dice roll in Grubauer and see if you can leverage even more out of Washington.

Mainly, I'm trying to see which contenders have a solid goalie they'd keep and wouldn't mind taking on Elliott and Johnson to be their backup on a cup run. Perhaps Orpik isn't the correct player to chase, but it did seem that with Orpik in consideration, we could move a bunch of scraps and leverage a good prospect or picks for helping them out.

Last edited:

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
I would trade Elliot for Grubauer straight up. An addiotional pick towards us would be considered a blessing in my eyes.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Try to see this from Washington's perspective. Why would they do this?

True. They might think that with a "better" defence he can play like he did in STL. Maybe they see him as an upgrade over Grubauer. Maybe somebody gets hurt.

It´s all hypothetical :)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Try to see this from Washington's perspective. Why would they do this?

I was thinking that perhaps they would want to shore up their roster a little bit for a cup run. Theoretically, they offer some futures to get rid of a cap dump and upgrade their back up goalie for a cup run (one that they may possibly lose anyways). Perhaps they run into an injury with Grubauer and or other positions and need someone to fill in. Who knows. It's mostly theoretical.

What I've read about Grubauer is conflicting. Some think Washington doesn't trust him, some think he's a guarantee to be taken in the expansion draft and some think VGK will pass over him even if exposed in the expansion draft. I can't get a good peg on his value. For all we know, he could be our Ortio replacement arguments wise, or he could be another trade Washington regrets for a while. If Grubauer is at risk of being taken, maybe we acquire him. Maybe we could even flip him back. But at this point, I'm not sure what Grubauer is worth. At age 25, he seems like he could continue to develop. IMO Washington considers moving him possibly because Holtby is young enough to hold down the fort for quite a few more seasons, and because they need solid goal tending this off season if they're going for the cup.

Orpik IMO could end up being a Wideman whipping boy for two seasons bouncing up and down our 2nd and 3rd pairing and press box. Maybe he works out, maybe we angrily buy him out, maybe we successfully pay Vegas to draft him. I don't know. What I am presuming is that Washington would prefer other pieces and the cap from Orpik longer term to perhaps sign Alzner and/or Oshie this off season. While I'm leaning more towards the idea he's just redundant rather than completely negative value, I really don't know too much about what to expect from him. Why do we want Orpik? We don't really, but IMO we might be able to find a way to deploy him. If he doesn't work as a #4, then a veteran mentor for a mobile guy like Kulak or Kylington might be ok?

Engelland, Stajan, Bouma, Jokkipakka, TSpoon, Elliott/Johnson are all roster players who can contribute and are on expiring contracts which Washington may consider. We'd be moving some of these guys for players Washington might not want to deploy in their cup run for players who they may feel more comfortable deploying.

That was my thought process, but it's entirely possible I was a bit over optimistic about deployment and value and the suggestion totally doesn't make sense.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would trade Elliot for Grubauer straight up. An addiotional pick towards us would be considered a blessing in my eyes.

I think we'd be adding the pick, no? Most of the value coming back in such a theoretical trade would be due to us taking on Orpik.

I think I undervalued Grubauer a little bit and it looks like Grubauer's stock has been rising all season.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I was thinking that perhaps they would want to shore up their roster a little bit for a cup run. Theoretically, they offer some futures to get rid of a cap dump and upgrade their back up goalie for a cup run (one that they may possibly lose anyways). Perhaps they run into an injury with Grubauer and or other positions and need someone to fill in. Who knows. It's mostly theoretical.

What I've read about Grubauer is conflicting. Some think Washington doesn't trust him, some think he's a guarantee to be taken in the expansion draft and some think VGK will pass over him even if exposed in the expansion draft. I can't get a good peg on his value. For all we know, he could be our Ortio replacement arguments wise, or he could be another trade Washington regrets for a while. If Grubauer is at risk of being taken, maybe we acquire him. Maybe we could even flip him back. But at this point, I'm not sure what Grubauer is worth. At age 25, he seems like he could continue to develop. IMO Washington considers moving him possibly because Holtby is young enough to hold down the fort for quite a few more seasons, and because they need solid goal tending this off season if they're going for the cup.

Orpik IMO could end up being a Wideman whipping boy for two seasons bouncing up and down our 2nd and 3rd pairing and press box. Maybe he works out, maybe we angrily buy him out, maybe we successfully pay Vegas to draft him. I don't know. What I am presuming is that Washington would prefer other pieces and the cap from Orpik longer term to perhaps sign Alzner and/or Oshie this off season. While I'm leaning more towards the idea he's just redundant rather than completely negative value, I really don't know too much about what to expect from him. Why do we want Orpik? We don't really, but IMO we might be able to find a way to deploy him. If he doesn't work as a #4, then a veteran mentor for a mobile guy like Kulak or Kylington might be ok?

Engelland, Stajan, Bouma, Jokkipakka, TSpoon, Elliott/Johnson are all roster players who can contribute and are on expiring contracts which Washington may consider. We'd be moving some of these guys for players Washington might not want to deploy in their cup run for players who they may feel more comfortable deploying.

That was my thought process, but it's entirely possible I was a bit over optimistic about deployment and value and the suggestion totally doesn't make sense.

GOceg0U.gif

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Do you think Grubauer and a b prospect is worth ~7M$ cap hit per year? It's the right question to ask because Orpik is THAT bad and he'll get worse as he gets closer to his 40s. Also this gives our mgmt. (with an eye for talent and idiocy expected from an NHL club) the opportunity to ruin our defense even further.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't see why we wouldn't just re-sign Johnson to a cap friendly deal. 2 years, 2.5 per. Lose our other dead weight this season, sign Alzner/Stone, let Kulak, Andersson, Kylington fight for the bottom pairing duties. Maybe sign Engelland to a 2 year, 1 million per.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Do you think Grubauer and a b prospect is worth ~7M$ cap hit per year? It's the right question to ask because Orpik is THAT bad and he'll get worse as he gets closer to his 40s. Also this gives our mgmt. (with an eye for talent and idiocy expected from an NHL club) the opportunity to ruin our defense even further.

How is it 7 mil cap? Orpik is 5.5 mil. Caps fans have been saying that Orpik has been playing well and isn't complete trash as everyone keeps assuming due to age. 2 seasons of Orpik isn't going to destroy the D. It does help to keep the kids to be handed spots.

Also look at Grubauer's stats. He's a pretty solid goaltender option to consider. Very likely looks like he could pan out to be a solid NHL starter. Long term he could be the most valuable piece from the trade.

Maybe you don't like the B prospect, maybe consider asking Washington to retain 1.5-2 mil on Oprik in lieu of the prospect.

Is two years of Orpik, who by Caps fans (who see him more) are saying is playing solid and well this season, worth a potential NHL starter and a roll of the dice on a prospect to see if we can get a roster player?

I don't see why we wouldn't just re-sign Johnson to a cap friendly deal. 2 years, 2.5 per. Lose our other dead weight this season, sign Alzner/Stone, let Kulak, Andersson, Kylington fight for the bottom pairing duties. Maybe sign Engelland to a 2 year, 1 million per.

Engelland can't get to Vegas fast enough I believe. Family life and other things. I doubt we'd be able to re-sign him.
Alzner per a few Cap fans likely would consider a slight pay cut to stay in Washington due to family life etc. I doubt we'd be able to pry him out.

We are currently sitting on a situation where we would have 3 vet D and 4 youngsters filling in the 4-7th Dman roles. I think we would need a vet to guide them. It doesn't have to be Orpik, but I hope it's not Jokkipakka.

I do think we could get Johnson to take a team friendly deal

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I wonder how bad Tampa wants to get rid of Callahan.....

Brouwer + Poirier/4th for Callahan + Raddysh?

Is that even enough of an incentive to do it, from a Flames perspective? Brouwer is the better player, at this point and Callahan is pretty much done. Is gaining Raddysh worth losing Brouwer and taking on another 1.3 million in cap space, for the next 3 years?

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
How is it 7 mil cap? Orpik is 5.5 mil. Caps fans have been saying that Orpik has been playing well and isn't complete trash as everyone keeps assuming due to age. 2 seasons of Orpik isn't going to destroy the D. It does help to keep the kids to be handed spots.

Also look at Grubauer's stats. He's a pretty solid goaltender option to consider. Very likely looks like he could pan out to be a solid NHL starter. Long term he could be the most valuable piece from the trade.

Maybe you don't like the B prospect, maybe consider asking Washington to retain 1.5-2 mil on Oprik in lieu of the prospect.

Is two years of Orpik, who by Caps fans (who see him more) are saying is playing solid and well this season, worth a potential NHL starter and a roll of the dice on a prospect to see if we can get a roster player?

Engelland can't get to Vegas fast enough I believe. Family life and other things. I doubt we'd be able to re-sign him.
Alzner per a few Cap fans likely would consider a slight pay cut to stay in Washington due to family life etc. I doubt we'd be able to pry him out.

We are currently sitting on a situation where we would have 3 vet D and 4 youngsters filling in the 4-7th Dman roles. I think we would need a vet to guide them. It doesn't have to be Orpik, but I hope it's not Jokkipakka.

I do think we could get Johnson to take a team friendly deal

Wideman gets hemmed in his own zone and offers no mobility and weak offense compared to what he's capable, if he can at least play decent, I'd all be for Orpik, because even though he gets hemmed in his own zone offers no mobility and even worse offense, at least he can play defense, and Brodie can focus more on jumping into the play rather than protecting his partner during defensive assignments.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I wonder how bad Tampa wants to get rid of Callahan.....

Brouwer + Poirier/4th for Callahan + Raddysh?

Is that even enough of an incentive to do it, from a Flames perspective? Brouwer is the better player, at this point and Callahan is pretty much done. Is gaining Raddysh worth losing Brouwer and taking on another 1.3 million in cap space, for the next 3 years?

No just no, no to Callahan. I'm open to Brodie for Stralman and a top 6 potential with great tracking record RW/RHS center. Stralman gives us a defense first while still an excellent passer and mobile D who is still in his prime, and stabilizes whoever he's paired with. Stralman would be a great mentor for Kulak, trade Wideman for like a 5th rounder lol. Tampa is abundant in forwards, and Brodie's excellent contract with his smooth skating ability should heavily interest Tampa.

Giordano-Hamilton (Nothing needs to be said)
Kulak-Stralman (Kulak has top 4 potential, and what a perfect partner to give him in Stralman one of the league's best defensive players (I consider him second after Hjalmarsson and he's slightly better than Vlasic).
Jokipakka-Engelland (Lol, our weak link)

Hedman-Brodie (This will be a deadly and haunting 1st line, but if let's say we meet in the finals in a few year, we should be able to counter it)
Garrison-Coburn (Mep not bad, but not great)
Koekkoek-Sustr (Sustr is a huge liability from what I hear, but Koekkoek has a lot of potential).

Last edited:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
No just no, no to Callahan. I'm open to Brodie for Stralman and a top 6 potential with great tracking record RW/RHS center. Stralman gives us a defense first while still an excellent passer and mobile D who is still in his prime, and stabilizes whoever he's paired with. Stralman would be a great mentor for Kulak, trade Wideman for like a 5th rounder lol. Tampa is abundant in forwards, and Brodie's excellent contract with his smooth skating ability should heavily interest Tampa.

Giordano-Hamilton (Nothing needs to be said)
Kulak-Stralman (Kulak has top 4 potential, and what a perfect partner to give him in Stralman one of the league's best defensive players (I consider him second after Hjalmarsson and he's slightly better than Vlasic).
Jokipakka-Engelland (Lol, our weak link)

Hedman-Brodie (This will be a deadly and haunting 1st line, but if let's say we meet in the finals in a few year, we should be able to counter it)
Garrison-Coburn (Mep not bad, but not great)
Koekkoek-Sustr (Sustr is a huge liability from what I hear, but Koekkoek has a lot of potential).

I'd rather not trade Brodie for Stalman. Brodie and Dougie will be the future of our blueline going forward.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Throw Alzner a contract around 13-14m on a three-year term and see if his camp likes it seeing as he only gets paid about 2.8m at the moment. Three year term should suffice because it ends his contract at 31, where he can cash in on a retirement contract vs contracting for a 6 year term and he might not be guaranteed one last paycheque.

I'm sure he'd rather a 6-year $33M contract.

Because of the risk of permanent injury in hockey, players take the big, long term contract as soon as they are able.

Even if he decided that he'd take a 3 year deal, it would be for an even greater amount per year than a longer term deal.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The only way we get Alzner on a three year deal worth less than 5 million per(what Signature is proposing) is if he has his heart dead set on going to Calgary.

I'd be surprised if he was willing to take that steep a discount to stay with the Caps even.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
The only way we get Alzner on a three year deal worth less than 5 million per(what Signature is proposing) is if he has his heart dead set on going to Calgary.

I'd be surprised if he was willing to take that steep a discount to stay with the Caps even.

Yeah I don't think Alzner would take anything less than $5x5 on the open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad