Speculation: Armchair GM / Speculation / Rumours Thread XXIV - Beware of Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Probably neither.

Gillies hasn't learned to stop pucks in Stockton yet.

Rittich would be a better bet to play for the Flames next year.

Older, more seasoned, and likely NHL ready.

Gillies in my opinion is an extreme goalie. The only thing he needs to learn is consistency. When he is on and it's most games he plays very elite. But when he isn't, he will almost certainly allow a huge amount of goals. That's the extreme differential that he needs to improve on.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It would be absurd to protect an overpaid 33 year old 4th line centre no matter what they do in the room.

But I also think the idea that Stajan (or Bouma) are absolute non-starters to be picked by the Vegas Hangovers simplistic, which seems to be a very consistent theme around here.

They have a ~55M cap floor to reach (of which at least 40 something has to be done through the expansion draft) which means they will be taking on some money contracts, not just the Kulak's and Poirier's from every team. Moreover, the fact that Stajan and Bouma only have a year left on their contracts make them actually kind of valuable in this situation. By taking one of them, the Vegas 'Feel-it-Coming-in-the-Air-Tonight" help fulfill their salary cap requirements for year one but with no longterm commitment to potentially hinder them down the road. And on top of that, if they don't think the player is part of their future, they can easily trade them at the 2018 deadline for picks.

But it all comes down to what the final lists look like and what exactly McPhee's management team values. Which is really hard to predict at this stage, but that only makes the blanket statements of 'why would the Vegas Uncaged Tigers do that??????? when they easily just to do this' more inane.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It would be absurd to protect an overpaid 33 year old 4th line centre no matter what they do in the room.
Literally not suggested by a single person. Great start, not going to waste my time with the rest of the drivel.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I feel like Stajan is more likely to be picked than Bouma. Stajan offers more than just production. Vegas is going to be a young team and committed to building through the draft. They'll need quality players for the kids they have in their lineup and to act as place holders for the ones that are not ready. Someone will need to be picked, our lineup really isn't that deep so it's not that far fetched.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not a bad take on the Vegas "What happens at the logo unveiling stays at the logo unveilings," Calculon.
raw

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I agreed. I hope we find some good forwards that other teams cant protect.

I wouldnt lose any sleep over losing Chaisson or Ferland. I think their ceiling is limited. They are what they are despite some unwarranted love for Ferland. He is good for only about 10 games a year.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gillies in my opinion is an extreme goalie. The only thing he needs to learn is consistency. When he is on and it's most games he plays very elite. But when he isn't, he will almost certainly allow a huge amount of goals. That's the extreme differential that he needs to improve on.

What extreme is he on for big games?;)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I feel like Stajan is more likely to be picked than Bouma. Stajan offers more than just production. Vegas is going to be a young team and committed to building through the draft. They'll need quality players for the kids they have in their lineup and to act as place holders for the ones that are not ready. Someone will need to be picked, our lineup really isn't that deep so it's not that far fetched.

Stajan would be a decent pickup for Vegas. His cap isn't super bad and it comes off the book very quickly. He can play up and down the lineup; even in a top 2C role in a pinch (and that team will most definitely suck, so there's a chance). If he's force fed minutes, he might have some overall value to them at the deadline.

This team is going to be selling like crazy for a while IMO. The shorter contracts they can take the better.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
1. It wouldn't be dumb for the reasons I listed
2. It also wouldn't be dumb because Vegas has to spend a minimum salary in the expansion draft and will more or less be forced to select some not so great contracts and Stajan is a short term contract that is not too large, so he would be more acceptable than most.
3. The Flames won't pay to get rid of Stajan because he is a valuable player for this team.
4. He doesn't have negative value because the Flames are extremely happy with him and is valuable to the club on and off the ice, negative value only applies to players teams are actively trying to shop.

They'll also need to take on salary to hit the cap floor, Stajan ticks that box while remaining an effective player.

Probably still won't be protected though. Especially if Jankowski is expected to take the next step soon.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Stajan or Bouma could be a viable option for Vegas. As mentioned they have to take on salary somehow, and I'm sure even if they weren't required to take on a certain amount via the expansion draft, they'd have a tough time reaching the floor with FA signings, as I assume none of the big name guys would go to an expansion team.

There probably are more enticing options on defence available from other teams than Kevin or Kulak, and I'm not sure how interested they'd be in any of our 3rd/4th line guys left unprotected. It might be a good chance for them to add salary without sacrificing a quality player from another team in order to do so.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
At the end of last season and the start of this season, I thought Jyrki was as good as gone. He played decently... Away from Hamilton and exposed with Engelland... this guy is not going to get any attention from Vegas.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Las Vegas will most likely take one of TB's #4 dman or 7th forward (Killorn or Garrisson, the latter being very cheap in real salary), one of Brodin or Scandella, Vatanen or Silfverberg (depending on what happens w/ Bieksa) and Plekanec/Shaw (both cheap in real salary, especially if Shaw's signing bonus will already be paid) and one of FLA's goaltenders (the argument about real money is even more significant).

That's a ~21.5M caphit for 5 players. 33.5 millions left for 17 other roster players to reach the floor. That's less than 2m per player. They'll be able to sign some free agents. They could take on a cap dump like Orpik or Bieksa for a big return. If they trade for Brook 5.5M AAV Orpik and some picks, they'll only need to use 28 millions for 16 roster players. That's 1.75M per player. If on top of that LV signs a UFA to a reasonable 4M AAV deal, it shrinks down to 24M$ for 15 roster players. 1.6M per roster player. I already made my point, but I'll go a step further: if they take on Moulson's cap hit (5M x 2, drop to 3M real salary the last year), 19M for 14 players. Now down to a 1.36M$ minimum per player.

They don't need to take on anyone's crap just because. They aren't desperate enough to do anyone else some favors. Frankly, every year fans scramble to come up with some reasons why X system will conveniently save them from the awful contracts their teams signed with no repercussion whatsoever. Sometime it happens, but it's pretty rare these days unless the cap dump gets LTIRetired. Today it's the expansion draft. Next season, it'll be the inevitable lockout caused by the nasty signing bonuses.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Jankowski with another great game in Stockton last night. How long until we see him up again for a real shot?
I'd love to see this lineup:
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Monahan-Brouwer
Gaudreau-jankowski-Bennett
Ferland/hathaway-stajan-hamilton/chaisson

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jankowski with another great game in Stockton last night. How long until we see him up again for a real shot?
I'd love to see this lineup:
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Monahan-Brouwer
Gaudreau-jankowski-Bennett
Ferland/hathaway-stajan-hamilton/chaisson

have to wait for an injury, full 23 man roster and no one is playing poorly enough to be sent to the AHL.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Elliotte Friedman, Sam Bennett is not going to be traded by the Calgary Flames right now. Nick Kypreos says Bennett might ask to be traded if the frustration continues.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
According to Elliotte Friedman, Sam Bennett is not going to be traded by the Calgary Flames right now. Nick Kypreos says Bennett might ask to be traded if the frustration continues.

He can be frustrated in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad