Speculation: Armchair GM / Speculation / Rumours Thread XXIV - Beware of Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
God no. Dion's contract goes forever at a big hit. We absolutely can't afford to have that on the books.

I was being sarcastic. I just think it's funny what a whipping Widemas was/is, now a few people are actually seeing he has value to the team.

I still don't want him back though. :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I was being sarcastic. I just think it's funny what a whipping Widemas was/is, now a few people are actually seeing he has value to the team.

I still don't want him back though. :laugh:

Make no mistake. I said it in my last post, he's playing significantly better this year than last. He still makes some awful boneheaded plays, especially to start the year he had too many. But he still has value TO US with his play. To most other teams his cap hit nullifies whatever value there may be. We'll see if that changes at the deadline.

I want him gone just to see if our penalties taken goes back down after :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've no beef with the Widedog, I'd love to pick up a real top 4 Dman and have him anchor the bottom pair.

The bottom pair is a tire fire most nights; I don't care how much love Engelland gets from some media and some members... the guy spends the entire night in his own zone.

I'd love to see:
Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - X or X - Brodie
Kulak - Wideman

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd love Alzner this offseason. Sign Engelland to 950k, anymore he can walk. Let Wideman go, and let the kids play on the bottom pairing. If Engelland is gone, give a PTO to a dman better than Grossdawg.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Make no mistake. I said it in my last post, he's playing significantly better this year than last. He still makes some awful boneheaded plays, especially to start the year he had too many. But he still has value TO US with his play. To most other teams his cap hit nullifies whatever value there may be. We'll see if that changes at the deadline.

I want him gone just to see if our penalties taken goes back down after :laugh:

It will plummet immediately. The refs are trying to make a point and will want to make it as crystal clear as possible. While part of me wants to toss it out as ridiculous, something in the back of my head tells me he's going to Europe or retiring after his contract ends. Have to wonder whether teams will think he's worth having nearly every call go against them per game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd love Alzner this offseason. Sign Engelland to 950k, anymore he can walk. Let Wideman go, and let the kids play on the bottom pairing. If Engelland is gone, give a PTO to a dman better than Grossdawg.

I honestly don't even want to think about Engelland on this team, it's best he goes to Vegas or something.

He starts the most amount of times in our own zone; and he spends the most amount of time in our zone; along with Jyrki. Both are very substandard possession players. Even Brodie with his abysmal start this year is better than him.

I'd rather have the Widedog over Engelland; but I also don't want that ref stink on him.

Honestly, Alzner is going to get paid. None of the available Dmen outside of somewhat Kulikov are great possession players. I want Calgary to have the puck a lot, and shoot the puck a lot versus take it on the chin most nights. I'd have no problems bringing in Oduya if Kylington was NHL ready; just as a mentor role who could hold down the bottom pair.

Dunno. Kulak should probably be in the NHL; Engelland and Jokipakka shouldn't.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Alzner is almost guaranteed to get massively overpaid. I don't want him at anything over 4.5-5 (and that is what I consider "reasonable open market value" - certainly not a discount). He'll probably get way more than that.

Aug 3, 2010
Throw Alzner a contract around 13-14m on a three-year term and see if his camp likes it seeing as he only gets paid about 2.8m at the moment. Three year term should suffice because it ends his contract at 31, where he can cash in on a retirement contract vs contracting for a 6 year term and he might not be guaranteed one last paycheque.

Let go of Wideman and re-sign Engelland for no more than 1.5m per year, maximum 2 years as I believe his contract adds the 35+ clause after this current term.

Giordano-Hamilton
Alzner-Brodie
Kulak-Engelland

is probably the best potential defense this team has seen since the Regehr days.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd rather pay Vegas a pick to sign Engelland in the specific time frame so that we know for sure we don't lose either one of Kulak or Jokkipakka. (The free agent signing proection rule thingamabob). Both are young and NHL ready though perhaps not ready/able to be a #4D. Heck, you could probably turn around and trade the extra guy if you wanted to to get that #4D.

Gio - Brodie
(Jokkipakka/Kulak) - Hamilton
(Kulak/Jokkipakka) - X

If Vegas bites. This includes a slot for a farm hand to take a spot (Tspoon?) after the expansion draft.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd rather pay Vegas a pick to sign Engelland in the specific time frame so that we know for sure we don't lose either one of Kulak or Jokkipakka. (The free agent signing proection rule thingamabob). Both are young and NHL ready though perhaps not ready/able to be a #4D. Heck, you could probably turn around and trade the extra guy if you wanted to to get that #4D.

Gio - Brodie
(Jokkipakka/Kulak) - Hamilton
(Kulak/Jokkipakka) - X

If Vegas bites. This includes a slot for a farm hand to take a spot (Tspoon?) after the expansion draft.

Jokipakka can go either way and nobody knows who Kulak is. You won't have to worry about Vegas picking him because there will be actual NHL proven defensemen available and one or two high end bang/bust guys unprotected, like Pouliot or Theodore. Every team has a Kulak.

As far as Engelland is concerned, either he'll be on or a younger, cheaper version of himself will be. Ferland will not be left to handle all the rough stuff on his own. Management has stated, in the past that they want to be bigger/harder to play against. The defense will be tougher next year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I would very much like all of Engelland, Wideman and Jokipakka to not come back next season. Enough with the terrible and thoroughly underwhelming depth. As a baseline, I'd like to see (assuming Guluztan keeps Brodie on the left side, Giordano-Hamilton together):

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-UFA/Trade
Kulak-Trade/Rookie defenceman
Veteran Free Agent signing/Wotherspoon/Morrison/Culkin

The top four defenceman could be either Alzner or Stone while the bottom pairing could be someone acquired in a trade like Petrovic or someone coming through the system, i.e. Andersson.

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Petrovic/Andersson
Kampfer/Culkin

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fine, pay one of Jokkipakka or TSpoon to Vegas to sign Engelland and ask them to not take one of our exposed F?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We don't have to expose anyone worthy of being protected, certainly not worth the cost to pay Vegas not to take them

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'd try him out on a 1 year deal.

Oh I meant as someone we trade for now. But off season could work too.

I know +/- isn't a great stat, but it's interesting that on a team that is -10 overall in GF/GA Leddy is -11, Hamonic is -14 and even Boychuk is only a +1, Seidenberg is a +15 and 7 higher than his next closest teammates. There is luck, sure, but it's interesting. 4th in ice time amongst their D, so he's not getting super sheltered minutes most likely.

I'd be interested to see what some of our local advanced statisticians can tell me about his play this season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We don't have to expose anyone worthy of being protected, certainly not worth the cost to pay Vegas not to take them

None even on the farm? (ie: Poirier, Shinkaruk etc.)

I was even imagining such a deal could be asked to have Vegas target a specific player for cap reasons?

ie: Plz target Stajan? (But personally I sorta like Stajan)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh I meant as someone we trade for now. But off season could work too.

I know +/- isn't a great stat, but it's interesting that on a team that is -10 overall in GF/GA Leddy is -11, Hamonic is -14 and even Boychuk is only a +1, Seidenberg is a +15 and 7 higher than his next closest teammates. There is luck, sure, but it's interesting. 4th in ice time amongst their D, so he's not getting super sheltered minutes most likely.

I'd be interested to see what some of our local advanced statisticians can tell me about his play this season.
Oh, yeah I'd be down for that especially if Wideman is moved.

And I can already tell you how I will react to what the advanced stats gurus have to sa

giphy.gif

None even on the farm? (ie: Poirier, Shinkaruk etc.)

I was even imagining such a deal could be asked to have Vegas target a specific player for cap reasons?

ie: Plz target Stajan? (But personally I sorta like Stajan)
Poirier, Sinkaruk, Kulak, Wotherspoon and Jokipakka all have minimal value. To pay a team not to take them you would have to pay more than Vegas thinks they are worth. Thus it would not be worth the cost and each and every one of them is easily replaceable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Seidenberg who is having a pretty decent season on the Isles as someone to play with Brodie? Yay or nay?

I'd pass TBH. The only way I'd like him is in a depth role as an upgraded Engelland.
Wideman is a superior Dman to Seidenberg; unless he's one of those guys come August that can't find a job and takes a 1 year 900k deal.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Realistically, how do you guys think the goalie situation will shake out?

Or is it so confusing right now that there's no point in pondering and just let things play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad