Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
We need to dump his contact regardless, buying him out will leave us without what asset? I think he's better than most people here and I'd peg him at no more value than a 2nd rund pick and that is assuming he doesn't need to be protected.

I don't think his contract is a must dump, mainly because I think he is a good #4. Good #4 defensemen get paid $4+ every season. Wideman is the 4th best d-man associated with this franchise right now, and I am not confident of any other players' abilities to provide a positive contribution in the #4 slot for the upcoming season.

However, if he needs to be protected, he absolutely must be bought out this summer. Sacrificing the ability to protect 2 extra forwards and the additional cap space is absolutely worth the difference in play and production between Wideman and Nakladal, or Wideman and Jokipakka.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think his contract is a must dump, mainly because I think he is a good #4. Good #4 defensemen get paid $4+ every season. Wideman is the 4th best d-man associated with this franchise right now, and I am not confident of any other players' abilities to provide a positive contribution in the #4 slot for the upcoming season.

However, if he needs to be protected, he absolutely must be bought out this summer. Sacrificing the ability to protect 2 extra forwards and the additional cap space is absolutely worth the difference in play and production between Wideman and Nakladal, or Wideman and Jokipakka.
I agree on Wideman, except we need what we are paying him to fill bigger holes (goaltending). I like Wideman but him and Hamilton should not play together as both are prone to defensive lapses and both struggle on the left side. I'd also argue that replacing him with a more defensively sound defenseman would be much better for the team.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I agree on Wideman, except we need what we are paying him to fill bigger holes (goaltending). I like Wideman but him and Hamilton should not play together as both are prone to defensive lapses and both struggle on the left side. I'd also argue that replacing him with a more defensively sound defenseman would be much better for the team.

All true.

I think the top 4 next year will be

Bromilton
Wideano

though

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Regardless, nobody actually knows what the rules are right now. It's fun to speculate, but let's not get our knickers twisted while we pile on the Wideman buyout-train before it actually leaves the station.

My hope is he agrees that everyone would be better off with a clean split. He waives his clause, Calgary sails him up river for some return; and everyone wins.

We clear contract space on a depth Dman that's redundant in our system; he gets a new start.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think if that Dallas pick is a first, that's our goalie pick. It's what Treliving will use to get us our goalie.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think if that Dallas pick is a first, that's our goalie pick. It's what Treliving will use to get us our goalie.

No goalie we take in this draft is going to be ahead of Gillies, so that's not really a way to address the goalie situation. If there's a goalie at that spot who is the best player available by a clear margin, then go for it, but it's to further stock the prospect ranks. It would have no bearing on the NHL club for years.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would assume Volica meant he would get us our goalie via trade with that pick.

Ding ding ding

Oh.

Facepalm-Meme-04.png

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Dallas 1st, 3rd + Tspoon for Bishop.
Bishop is 30, has average career numbers and one year left to his contract. Wotherspoon will be waiver fodder but that's not a good deal for us.

Edit: Didn't see his 2015-16 stats. Still not a big fan of buying high. Especially with goaltenders.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Dallas 1st, 3rd + Tspoon for Bishop.

I love Bishop but he has one year left. I would prefer to get Fleury (3 year 5.25) or Anderson (sign to 3 year 5 AAV), both could be had relatively cheap.

Pittsburgh basically has to trade Fleury. I think Calgary second and Spoon gets it done.

I wouldn't mind going Dallas 1st, Calgary second and Wotherspoon for Vasilevski. Kid is legit IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I love Bishop but he has one year left. I would prefer to get Fleury (3 year 5.25) or Anderson (sign to 3 year 5 AAV), both could be had relatively cheap.

Pittsburgh basically has to trade Fleury. I think Calgary second and Spoon gets it done.

I wouldn't mind going Dallas 1st, Calgary second and Wotherspoon for Vasilevski. Kid is legit IMO.

Vasilevski would be great if he's available. Fleury is interesting, but Bishop is a top netminder and he would be my #1 target.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Vasilevski would be great if he's available. Fleury is interesting, but Bishop is a top netminder and he would be my #1 target.

I would be in the same boat if his term wasn't up.

It'd be murder getting a goalie in the middle of a rebuild to have him leave the next year. I hope it's an age specific and contract controlled netminder. There will be a few available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad