Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
would there be interest in Niemi or Lehtonen from the stars along with Nichushkin with their own pick going back with plus depending on if it si their first or second?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
6th for Mika zibanejad? 23, right shot, put up 50 points last year. He's pretty much best case of what nylander turns into, but I don't think Ottawa fans seem to want to keep him for whatever reason

Can't give that proposal an outright "no ****ing way" so there's that.

Fills a need, and is in the same age group as the rest of the core which is nice. The only thing I'd be cautious about is going forward with one core that's all the same age, boom or bust. Would be nice to have a somewhat continuous influx of young talent instead of one large group.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can't give that proposal an outright "no ****ing way" so there's that.

Fills a need, and is in the same age group as the rest of the core which is nice. The only thing I'd be cautious about is going forward with one core that's all the same age, boom or bust. Would be nice to have a somewhat continuous influx of young talent instead of one large group.

The second part here 10/10.
We need to both develop talent from later rounds but also have blue chips. You make the Dougie Hamilton trade last season because it was a major organizational need; you weren't getting a monster sized Dman with top pairing potential in the mid late part of last years draft; who you weren't going to have to wait for for half a decade.

I'd rather use the 6th and try our luck at Dubois or Tkachuk. I'm good with Nylander too, but I'm wondering how many spots we can have in our top 6 for straight skill players. With Johnny and Hudler it seemed we got bullied a lot; I imagine it might be the same with Nylander.

Plus we get to cap control players a lot longer than a 23 year old.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
He's not an option as a starter anyway. He's basically older Ortio. One of St Louis/Anaheim/Pitt/TB goalies will be wearing a flaming C next year.

I never thought so either but I do recall his name being mentioned a couple of times.

Personally my top guys are Reimer, Halak, Neuvirth, and Elliott in no particular order.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We need to both develop talent from later rounds but also have blue chips. You make the Dougie Hamilton trade last season because it was a major organizational need; you weren't getting a monster sized Dman with top pairing potential in the mid late part of last years draft; who you weren't going to have to wait for for half a decade.

I'd rather use the 6th and try our luck at Dubois or Tkachuk. I'm good with Nylander too, but I'm wondering how many spots we can have in our top 6 for straight skill players. With Johnny and Hudler it seemed we got bullied a lot; I imagine it might be the same with Nylander.

Was going to post almost the exact same thing but got distracted by a phone call. By the time I got back you beat me to it.

I like Zibs, I like a lot of what he brings, but purely from a cap standpoint it might be better to go for a riskier move with a prospect that could be better or worse, but cheaper financially regardless.

If Tkachuk or Dubois can become Zibs I think we are pretty happy. C/RW with size, skill and good defensive play.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I never thought so either but I do recall his name being mentioned a couple of times.

Personally my top guys are Reimer, Halak, Neuvirth, and Elliott in no particular order.

I'm not as sold on Neuvirth despite his great season in Philly.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm pretty similar. I don't think we are at the point where it is worth breaking the bank required for any of the ones snipetype mentioned.

Well, sort of actually. Unless we are getting a Gibson, Vasi, Murray or Allen anyways. Those might be worth paying for now. Andersen, Bishop, Fleury, or Elliot I dunno. I really like Bishop and I think he is a legit top 5-10 goalie in the league, but he's gonna cost a pretty penny both to acquire and re-sign financially down the road.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I posted on the Detroit forum:

6th

For

Mrazek
Frk

They didn't seem to hate it.

What do you guys think? Mrazek's numbers are almost identical to Schneider's at the time of the trade. Frk is an older prospect that finally broke out this year, scoring 27(?) goals in the AHL. Right shooting RW with size.

I don't know if I would rather do this or 6th for zibanejad? What do you guys think there if you had to do one.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just no to moving it.
Let's select and think about all those 2nds and potentially the Dallas first as currency.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009

6th

For

Mrazek
Frk

What do you guys think? Mrazek's numbers are almost identical to Schneider's at the time of the trade. Frk is an older prospect that finally broke out this year, scoring 27(?) goals in the AHL. Right shooting RW with size.

I don't know if I would rather do this or 6th for zibanejad? What do you guys think there if you had to do one.

I'd do this. Mrazek would help the Flames win a lot more hockey games over the next 10 years or so than whoever we end up picking at #6.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island

6th

For

Mrazek
Frk

I'd probably do this. Mrazek, while I haven't seen enough of him to know for sure, I'd say he is a pretty good goalie at a young age. Maybe some small pluses on both sides to make it agreeable to both sides.

Aug 21, 2014

6th

For

Mrazek
Frk

I'd say keep the pick or trade up..

Finally! A brother!

I'm fairly excited about this. Soon enough we can build bunkbeds to free up some space.

giphy.gif

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Mrazek is literally the only goalie I would trade the pick for straight up. Been following him since the WJC where he was a monster for the Czech's. Then I watched him in the AHL playoffs. It was a defensive battle. Ortio played well but Mrazek was an absolute wall. He's the best young goalie in the league IMO. Why Howard ever got time in the playoffs I'll never know.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Mrazek is literally the only goalie I would trade the pick for straight up. Been following him since the WJC where he was a monster for the Czech's. Then I watched him in the AHL playoffs. It was a defensive battle. Ortio played well but Mrazek was an absolute wall. He's the best young goalie in the league IMO. Why Howard ever got time in the playoffs I'll never know.

I'd reluctantly trade it for Hellebuyck but that'd be risky and the jets wouldn't do it. Helle is going to be the real deal imo

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016

6th

For

Mrazek
Frk

Trust me, 99% of Red Wing Fans would (and none too politely) just say thank you but no!!! Why would we trade a future elite level tender with NHL experience for a player(whoever he might be)that likely won't see the NHL for at least 2-3yrs.

To Detroit: #6OA
To Calgary: #16OA, Nyquist, Jurco

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I will keep bringing this up - if Jon gillies requires expansion protection then what a dumb move it would be to give up any assets of value for one year of trying to make the playoffs. Would just rather run with ramo and Ortio.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I will keep bringing this up - if Jon gillies requires expansion protection then what a dumb move it would be to give up any assets of value for one year of trying to make the playoffs. Would just rather run with ramo and Ortio.

The last expansion deaft teams "bribed" the new teams to not take their goalies with mid picks, if nothing has stopped that then let's just do that.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The last expansion deaft teams "bribed" the new teams to not take their goalies with mid picks, if nothing has stopped that then let's just do that.

Pretty sure Gillies will be fine. But it's true. If he does need to be protected just sign Ramo/Reimer to two year deals and expose them.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016

Your forgetting how good that line was last year when they were healthy. Hudler is also smaller than Nylander who is 6ft, don't get why everyone thinks he's johnnys height. I say try picking up a free agent with size and grit if possible, obviously Okposo is perfect but may be too expensive. If Nylander is there at 6 without Tkachuk or Dubois I take him without a doubt. Hell I may even take him over Tkachuk.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Trust me, 99% of Red Wing Fans would (and none too politely) just say thank you but no!!! Why would we trade a future elite level tender with NHL experience for a player(whoever he might be)that likely won't see the NHL for at least 2-3yrs.

To Detroit: #6OA
To Calgary: #16OA, Nyquist, Jurco

No way in hell Calgary does even the first trade offer. Mrazek isn't exactly looked like a sure fire top goaltender, and the Flames could easily just stick with Ramo and Ortio and get similar production and wait for gillies. Dumb trade and will never happen.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
unneX9K.png

My new mock lineup for 2016-17. Additional cap could be saved by buying out Raymond and Smid in order to lock down a good depth RW. It's still a bit presumptuous to pencil Pribyl in for a spot, but he might be the best the Flames can do as a winger for Bennett this year. Signed Perron for two years, though he'll likely want more. Shinkaruk is cheap enough that he can be stashed in the minors for no cap hit and replaced by a cheap vet if Brad wants him to get minutes in the AHL. Obviously, my dream is still Yakupov to fill the hole on the top line, but I can't see a scenario where he makes his way to the Flames. Perron will do just fine. The defense is pretty inexperienced, but Wotherspoon was very solid in his showings this year, and with a likely better set of defensive schemes from the new coach, he should be able to keep up. If not, play Kevin there instead and Spoon with Nak.

What do you think?

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

I'm guessing those were goalies that the expansion team had little interest in, or at least has other viable choices.

No team would except a mid-round pick for a goalie they really wanted.

My guess an expansion team would take a goalie that could play now, a reliable back up with some experience (and maybe some upside) and a future goalie they saw as potentially being better than the others.

If the expansion team felt that Gilles was that last guy, good luck in giving up a 4th round pick to convince them otherwise. Now if they thought that there were two equal guys of that caliber, they could be convinced.

They expansion teams will get the goalies they want (more or less). And collect some free draft picks along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad