Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Bishop is 30, has average career numbers and one year left to his contract. Wotherspoon will be waiver fodder but that's not a good deal for us.

Edit: Didn't see his 2015-16 stats. Still not a big fan of buying high. Especially with goaltenders.

Average career numbers?

Tough crowd.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Calgary/Detroit trade options

To Detroit:#06OA+ Wideman
To Calgary:#16OA+Howard(25%retained)+Nyquist+Pulkkinen+Marchenko/Ouellet

Why Detroit does this:
Very simply to get a top 10 draft pick for the first time since 1991(the last time we missed the playoffs).
Why Calgary does this:
1) get Howard at very decent price($3,969,000/yr.) and he mentors Ortio/Gilles.
2) Nyquist and Pulks fill winger needs.
3) Wideman-salary dump
4) Marchenk/Ouellet replace Wideman

OR

With the assumption that Dallas makes Conference finals
To Calgary: #16OA
To Detroit: Dallas 1st.(27-30)+Calgary 2nd.(36)+Fla.2nd.(56-57)

Flame away(as it were)

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC

Why Detroit does this:
Very simply to get a top 10 draft pick for the first time since 1991(the last time we missed the playoffs).
Why Calgary does this:
3) Wideman-salary dump

OR

Flame away(as it were)

Hell no to the first trade proposal.

To the second one.. I would only do it if a guy like Brown or Jost were still on the board at 16, but still think treliving is gonna use those picks to upgrade our wings anyways

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Why Detroit does this:
Why Calgary does this:
3) Wideman-salary dump

OR

Flame away(as it were)

I might consider #2 but Jimmy Howard, that tire fire of a contract and his quickly declining abilities are a non-starter unless it's at 50% and you are paying us to take him.

Edit: didn't even notice you had the #6 OA pick in there, **** that noise. The only way you are getting close to that is Mrazek.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I hated it at first, and while I still don't love it by any means here are my thoughts:

-Make Howard close to 50% and we can talk.
-Nyqvist is a huge pickup, fits a big need organizationally. Nyqvist is a proven top six winger who in the last three seasons would have placed 2nd on the team in points (despite playing in only 57 games), 4th amongst forwards last year and 5th on the team, and 6th on the team in an off year this year. My biggest concern on him is his playoff no shows so far.
-While I'm not sure how I feel on Pulkkinen he's not a bad throw in
-I like Ouellet, I'm just not sure how he would fit in with our D core moving forward.
- Losing Wideman and his cap hit and potentially most important his NMC.

While moving down from 6th to 16th sucks pretty hard, can't deny Howard at 50% isn't awful, Nyqvist is a really nice piece, Ouellet is good depth with room to grow and Pulkinnen is a toss of the dice.

Still not my favorite deal and not one I think I take, but it isn't anywhere nearly as bad as my initial reaction was.

Honestly, as to the second, unless there is a guy we really, really, REALLY want at 16, in this draft I think I would almost rather just gamble on some of the guys who are going to be in the late 1st and early 2nd.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Howard at 75% retained would be awful if it were allowed. The guy is trending down hard and fast and has 3 years left on the worst goaltending contract in the league

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
6th for Mika zibanejad? 23, right shot, put up 50 points last year. He's pretty much best case of what nylander turns into, but I don't think Ottawa fans seem to want to keep him for whatever reason

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Huge bummer we didnt get a lottery win. Do not see us trading up for a pick, as Matthews and Laine are just too good to give up on for Toronto and Winnipeg. I only see Columbus considering moving their pick, and only if Columbus doesnt like Pujularvi for whatever reason and wants to shed some cap we could do:

Wideman + 6OA
For
Clarkson + 3OA

We get the god awful contract but Wideman leaving will balance it out this year. Then next years departure of Bollig, Raymond, Engelland, and Smid will help.

Otherwise we pick BPA and wait a couple years.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Huge bummer we didnt get a lottery win. Do not see us trading up for a pick, as Matthews and Laine are just too good to give up on for Toronto and Winnipeg. I only see Columbus considering moving their pick, and only if Columbus doesnt like Pujularvi for whatever reason and wants to shed some cap we could do:

Wideman + 6OA
For
Clarkson + 3OA

We get the god awful contract but Wideman leaving will balance it out this year. Then next years departure of Bollig, Raymond, Engelland, and Smid will help.

Why do they do this?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Wideman + 6OA
For
Clarkson + 3OA

Nope. I dislike this even more than the proposed Detroit deal above.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Wideman + 6OA
For
Clarkson + 3OA

I wouldn't do that, the Clarkson contract is an absolute anchor and we have to shield him in expansion.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Wideman + 6OA
For
Clarkson + 3OA

There isn't any pick in the draft that makes it worth it to take on that Clarkson contract.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Jarmo Kekäläinen, the first ever Finnish GM; will not like a Finnish star in the making.
There's been jokes he'll be doing cartwheels to the podium :laugh:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We just have to hope Tkachuk/Dubois/Nylander go Sean Monahan and become one of the best players in the draft.

If we can trade up using picks/prospects I'm all for it. But even giving up our second to move up one spot if Edmonton picks A forward could be really smart IMO. I see Dubois/Tkachuk as our last core piece and they fill a need. I'm willing to pay a premium to secure that.

Van gets their D and a pick. Calgary gets their big forward. Edmonton picks another forward LOL :laugh:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
There's no way a top 3 pick will be moved this year, short of a massive overpayment that wouldn't make it worthwhile for us.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Raanta appears to be off the table for those of you who thought he could be an option, re-signed with NYR today.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Raanta appears to be off the table for those of you who thought he could be an option, re-signed with NYR today.

He's not an option as a starter anyway. He's basically older Ortio. One of St Louis/Anaheim/Pitt/TB goalies will be wearing a flaming C next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad