Arm Chair GM

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Which is why I also brought up Johansen and Scheifele in the same post.

For someone who is "rooting" for Strome to succeed you seem to be pretty much dead set on insisting he's dead in the water, regardless of the recent and promising turn of events in his development.
johansen and Scheifele are big strong guys who can handle the corners. Nothing screams Strome compared to these two guys.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You didn’t read very carefully:

“considering his draft position, amateur production, early minor-pro production, and physical size”

You just read “draft position” and went no further. Not meaningful.
Why don't you also include in your criteria players that have had three legged dogs.

What's more important is we are down the road far enough and he's done very little with the big club. Cant make one of the worst teams in hockey who are looking to develop young players.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
johansen and Scheifele are big strong guys who can handle the corners. Nothing screams Strome compared to these two guys.

Neither Johansen nor Scheifele were finished products physically at 21, and like Strome, most scouting reports for both at the draft indicated that they needed to improve their strength and physicality.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
What's more important is we are down the road far enough and he's done very little with the big club. Cant make one of the worst teams in hockey who are looking to develop young players.

21 years old is considered "far enough" down the road? Good to know.

Perhaps there's some wisdom in keeping a longer term project of a center develop away from a lottery team at least for a year or two.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
grimes said:
How much better are Bouchard/Hughes/Boqvist than Dobson?

How much better is Wahlstrom/Tkachuk than Dobson, is the real question. Because one of those guys or guys higher on the list will be available at 5 guaranteed. At nine we're taking the leftovers.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How much better is Wahlstrom/Tkachuk than Dobson, is the real question. Because one of those guys or guys higher on the list will be available at 5 guaranteed. At nine we're taking the leftovers.
Or the top center in the draft. Depending on how you look at it. :dunno:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wouldn't move back at all bc I have the forwards over the D in that second tier, and we run out of forwards at 5. I have the three D next, and they run out at 8. If the team really likes several guys in that region, they'd probably think about it. I trust the scouting staff more now than ever, so if they feel comfortable moving down, I'm okay with it, but I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: BigDoaner

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Or the top center in the draft. Depending on how you look at it. :dunno:

The Stepan replacement if you will.

Kinda like your point about wingers rt. Top pairing defensemen are hard to find, but can be had in later rounds and in the top 10. Top 6 centers seem nearly exclusive to the first round, outside of lotto hits. Just voted Wahlstrom in that damn poll and now wish I went Hughes. Tomorrow it will be Bouchard, the next day Boqvist and in a week Wahlstrom again. This is 2016 all over again.

Maybe trading to 9 and grabbing Kotkaniemi and a roster player is the way to go.

Does Tampa send us JT Miller for Namesitikov back and the Minn 2nd?

5th OA + 74th OA for 9OA + Namesitikov + 48OA

Draft Kotkaniemi or Dobson

Trade Namesitikov and 48OA for JT Miller
NYR get their slam dunk defenseman, Tampa gets a cost controlled winger that played well with Stamkos back and some trade ammo, we get a W/C to fill in the top 6.

Keller-Stepan-Panik
Domi-Strome-Miller
Perlini-Dvo-Fischer
Crouse-Kruger-Cousins (the Crousinuger line)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Just voted Wahlstrom in that damn poll and now wish I went Hughes. Tomorrow it will be Bouchard, the next day Boqvist and in a week Wahlstrom again. This is 2016 all over again.
Ditto. I really like Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson and Boqvist. I'd be very happy with any of them.

I haven't seen any of Kotkaniemi yet.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Does anyone think Kotkaniemi is a franchise center? If not, why are we trading down to take him instead of electric talent at wing or D? BPA.

I doubt anyone felt that way about Scheifele in 2011, but turns out a big franchise C went 7th OA that year. I dont think Kotkaneimi is a 1C. Could he be a very good 2C, maybe. I think the 4D in front of him have a better chance of being a star, but if we are able to add another nice prospect and someone like JT Miller without giving up a roster player there is value in the move. Not really advocating for the trade, but something I would consider and it is more enticing than moving the pick outright for a roster player.

Draft Hughes, sign Vanek for a year, and make a trade for an overpaid 2nd pair / 3rd pair tweener like Braun (SJ could want cap space to go in hard for Taveres, or another team looking to do the same) and call it an offseason is more than fine by me.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Does anyone think Kotkaniemi is a franchise center? If not, why are we trading down to take him instead of electric talent at wing or D? BPA.
Judging by the recent hype I don't anticipate Kotkaniemi will make it past pick 7. Just watching the Sweden Finland u18 game and Button keeps comparing him to Kopitar.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I have not seen any tape on Kotkaniemi yet. For those who have, how does he compare to say Cody Glass (who I was pretty high on last year)?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I have not seen any tape on Kotkaniemi yet. For those who have, how does he compare to say Cody Glass (who I was pretty high on last year)?
Glass was compared to Schiefle and Kotkaniemi is being compared to Kopitar

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Judging by the recent hype I don't anticipate Kotkaniemi will make it past pick 7. Just watching the Sweden Finland u18 game and Button keeps comparing him to Kopitar.
Haha. I just rewatched the first period of that one too.

I’ve watched nearly all of the U18s twice now. Kotkaniemi is another guy (like Dellandrea) who is very young for his draft class (July bday). He was Finland’s #1C at the tourney and played all the important minutes in both specialty teams, and at both ends of the ice. Kakko is a top five pick next year and Nordgren came up big in the goals department (might sneak into the 1st this year).

He’s a surprisingly effective skater for how ugly s skater he is. He’s got that weird hunched over, lurching around thing going on. Whoever is responsible for fixing Boone Jenner should be hired to fix this kid. Difference is Boone was a terrible skater due to the same issue, whereas Kotkaniemi is still pretty darn good at getting around. Kind of a miracle. When he gets that stride fixed, he could end up a really special skater.

He thinks quick and has quick hands. He’s good with the puck in tight and while moving quickly. Makes good passes and gets good shots off in a hurry. Smart defensively. Good two way player. Good on face-offs. Pretty scrawny but seems pretty strong. Could end up quite powerful, given his frame.

You have to like the upside when a skinny kid is already able to handle himself, and such a mechanically rotten skater is already able to zip around and make plays at high speeds. You have to ask where is his ceiling when he fills out and fixes the skating?

He was a ppg last year at the U18 and won a silver. He won a gold this year and was over a ppg. He’s stats in the Liiga were very, very impressive for a young 17 year old. Third in team scoring for a middle of the road Assat team (8/15) with a middle of the road offense (7/15). The next youngest player on the team is five years older than him.

He’s already very accomplished with a great resume, and he’s already a very effective, talented, well rounded center but he’s also got this incredible untapped potential that he could achieve with simple physical maturation and work inthe gym and with a skating coach.

Quintessential dark horse.

rt

May 13, 2004
I've previously read comparisons to Bergeron or ROR. Who are very different players from Kreider lol.
Yeah, those seem closer. The way he plays reminds me a bit of Toews. I know Toews is more known for leadership and blood and guts and championships and being overpaid (lol) but as far as he actual on-ice, what the fans see during plays, Kotkaniemi is a little similar is some ways. Has that look about him anyway.

EDIT: Christian Dvorak might not be a bad comparison

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Kreider? I don’t see it at all. Tkachuk I could see compared to Kreider, but not Kotkaniemi. I’m not very good at these but maybe Logan Couture?
meant Kopitar. Edited now. Thanks for catching.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don’t think there’s a franchise anything at 5th overall in this draft.

I'll still take the best pure scorer outside Svechnikov and Zadina, who also happens to throw the body, is an excellent skater, and has some size (and also happens to play some center though projects as a wing) over "best available center".

rt

May 13, 2004
I'll still take the best pure scorer outside Svechnikov and Zadina, who also happens to throw the body, is an excellent skater, and has some size (and also happens to play some center though projects as a wing) over "best available center".
If Wahlstrom is 5th on our list and Kotkaniemi is 8th, it would be dumb to take Kotkaniemi 5th if Wahlstrom is on the board. Nobody is suggesting we pass a player we like more for a player who plays a position we like more. We’re talking about trading down and getting additional assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00