Arm Chair GM

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why not take Wahlstrom who has size and speed and grit and is considered the best pure goalscorer outside Zadina and Svechnikov? Tkachuk's best argument is that he brings many of the same things and is more NHL-ready.

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Why not take Wahlstrom who has size and speed and grit and is considered the best pure goalscorer outside Zadina and Svechnikov? Tkachuk's best argument is that he brings many of the same things and is more NHL-ready.
I think that NHL ready counts for something here. We should be ready to take the next step but we need a talent upgrade in our forwards. Tkachuk would bring that. Iwould be happy with Wahlstrom if Tkachuk isn't there. I can't say that I'd be disappointed with any of the players being bandied about.

Does Wahlstrom play a heavy game? We need that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like Wahlstrom better than Tkachuk too. There are a few guys I like basically as much as Wahlstrom. I might like Hughes better.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
If you look at the success of the Jets, Bruins and Sharks, it is clear that speed players, while essential, are not enough. You need size. You need a player or two who is big and plays big. That's why I've always been fond of Tkachuk. Sure it would be nice if Zadina or Svechnikov drops to us, but barring that, I think that I would take Tkachuk over a sniper.
Tkachuk has potential to be something not many teams have. Think of Milan Lucic. Power forward with skills. The NHL is full of speedy offensive players with little grit to the game.
It's paramount come playoff time to have some grit. Look at the Jets and Nashville. Skill with grit.

Reactions: slv and Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Interesting the guy drafted just behind Strome Mitch Marner is 170 pounds and weak as a kitten and just lighting it up.
Strome indeed is very weak on the puck. He also lacks quickness which Marner has. When you're weak on the puck you need quickness to make up for it. I do think Strome has good hockey sense so with some more strength perhaps he will indeed make the leap. I'm pulling for him.
Marner isn't a C. They play different styles of game. Strome to be effective needed to improve his strength. The selection of Strome by AZ want a knock on Marner. They felt he had Gaudreau upside at the time. AZ was very much focused on long term positional need as they felt they could only acquire a C with the upside of Strome through the draft. Previously they had failed to move up to draft Johansen when Columbus "reached" to take him at 4OV in his draft year. They had a deal worked out with Carolina at 7.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
hilarious. What a reach. Montreal is desperate for goal scoring. The pick will be Zadina. this kid is a stud and could be better then Sech in my opinion.

Coyotes will be delighted if Tkachuk will be available. He is a talented power forward and will round out the roster well. If not there is Bouchard although I'm always skeptical of Quebec league D. They tend to light it up offensively but are weak defensively.
Wahlstrom looks like a kid with elite Offensive tools. You cant go wrong there.
Although our needs really are D we draft BPA and make trades moving forward.
I get the sense you don't follow junior or watch AZ. If you did you would know that a top 10 prospect for the draft plays with the OHL London Knights and that AZ is fairly well positioned at D (given the high likelihood OEL sign an extension July 1). AZ has OEL, Hjarlmarsson, Chychrun, Goligoski, and demers already under contract for next year and just drafted Joseph who is 2-3 years away from a roster spot (needs to add strength).

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If you look at the success of the Jets, Bruins and Sharks, it is clear that speed players, while essential, are not enough. You need size. You need a player or two who is big and plays big. That's why I've always been fond of Tkachuk. Sure it would be nice if Zadina or Svechnikov drops to us, but barring that, I think that I would take Tkachuk over a sniper.

Wahlstrom is 6'1" 205 lbs and can certainly throw hits.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
At this point, I'm in complete agreement and Doan see my mind changing - based on picking at 5

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Can we all agree to a date to retire the Doan for don’t substitution? It got old months ago.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Marner isn't a C. They play different styles of game. Strome to be effective needed to improve his strength. The selection of Strome by AZ want a knock on Marner. They felt he had Gaudreau upside at the time. AZ was very much focused on long term positional need as they felt they could only acquire a C with the upside of Strome through the draft. Previously they had failed to move up to draft Johansen when Columbus "reached" to take him at 4OV in his draft year. They had a deal worked out with Carolina at 7.
Dumb. You take BPA when you suck as bad as the Yotes. How is Marner's "style" different from Strome's? Marner needs to create to be effective much like Strome. Marner gets killed in the corners. He's not shy there but he's not effective either. The difference is Marner has quickness that Strome does not. Something that is hard to get if you don't have it. Both are weak as a kitten on the puck or forecheck.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I get the sense you don't follow junior or watch AZ. If you did you would know that a top 10 prospect for the draft plays with the OHL London Knights and that AZ is fairly well positioned at D (given the high likelihood OEL sign an extension July 1). AZ has OEL, Hjarlmarsson, Chychrun, Goligoski, and demers already under contract for next year and just drafted Joseph who is 2-3 years away from a roster spot (needs to add strength).
True I don't watch any junior anymore. Did a lot when I was living in Canada. And I assumed wrongly Bouchard was Quebec League . But I have read scouting reports on these players.
for the Yotes they can really benefit (like most teams) by getting a power forward with skill. Can Tkachuk be another Milan Lucic type player? that's the intriguing part of it all.
And I watched over half the Yotes games last year. Almost all of them in the first half. They were an exciting up and coming team. I can see all this skill developing that they have. Strome? Not so much.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dumb. You take BPA when you suck as bad as the Yotes. How is Marner's "style" different from Strome's? Marner needs to create to be effective much like Strome. Marner gets killed in the corners. He's not shy there but he's not effective either. The difference is Marner has quickness that Strome does not. Something that is hard to get if you don't have it. Both are weak as a kitten on the puck or forecheck.
Check out my draft list for my rankings. The GM who made that call is no longer employed by AZ.

The strength required by a C who has greater defensive responsibilities differs from a scoring winger.

If you have watched Strome play recently you would be pleased by how effective his play is now at the pro level.

Reactions: Heldig and Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
True I don't watch any junior anymore. Did a lot when I was living in Canada. And I assumed wrongly Bouchard was Quebec League . But I have read scouting reports on these players.
for the Yotes they can really benefit (like most teams) by getting a power forward with skill. Can Tkachuk be another Milan Lucic type player? that's the intriguing part of it all.
And I watched over half the Yotes games last year. Almost all of them in the first half. They were an exciting up and coming team. I can see all this skill developing that they have. Strome? Not so much.

Tkachuk is the real deal. I think our board underrated him but there's only so many "you're wrong I'm right" debates one can have on the same topic before you get tired of it. I did it with Rasmussen last year.

You seem to have strong opinions on Strome but I get the sense you haven't seen him play recently. His game has improved.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Dumb. You take BPA when you suck as bad as the Yotes.

Only in hindsight is Marner BPA over Strome (and that can still certainly change within the next few seasons). Leading up to the draft Strome was ranked ahead of Marner on most lists (CSS, ISS, Button, Future Considerations). And for the two notables that had Marner ahead, McKenzie had Marner at 4 and Strome at 5, while Pronman had Marner at 3 and Strome at 4.

It was close between the two plus Hanifin for the third best player in that draft, but there was a consensus for Strome.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yup, can you imagine playing against a team with Tkachuk, Fischer, Crouse and even Perlini?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Tkachuk is the real deal. I think our board underrated him but there's only so many "you're wrong I'm right" debates one can have on the same topic before you get tired of it. I did it with Rasmussen last year.

You seem to have strong opinions on Strome but I get the sense you haven't seen him play recently. His game has improved.
I think that's fair. I have not seen him "lately". Despite my skepticism I'm pulling for the kid. I was thrilled when he was called up earlier in the year and was less then thrilled watching him float around.

rt

May 13, 2004
Meaningless. Is he a pillow out there or can you see him playing through the checking ala Perlini.
If you don’t know, why are you being so contrarian and rude? Since you so clearly have no idea, wouldn’t it be more approprite to be deferential and polite? It may be very small, but whether you realize it or not, you’re asking a favor. You’re asking him to educate you. On a small thing, sure, but nonetheless maybe don’t start your request by screaming “meaningless” in your reply to his post. Just a suggestion. Take it or leave it. I’ll never know what you decide.

rt

May 13, 2004
Boedker’s salary is about to dive to 3m in each of his last two years of this contract. He’s besties with OEL. If we can acquire him cheap enough, it could be a stop-gap fit?

Panik-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Strome-Fischer
Perlini-Dvorak-Boedker
Crouse-Kruger-Cousins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad