Arm Chair GM

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If Wahlstrom is 5th on our list and Kotkaniemi is 8th, it would be dumb to take Kotkaniemi 5th if Wahlstrom is on the board. Nobody is suggesting we pass a player we like more for a player who plays a position we like more. We’re talking about trading down and getting additional assets.

Interesting Button interview post U18. He feels Dobson, Bouchard, and Hughes are ahead of Bodqvist. Likes Tkachuk ahead of Zadina.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...ame-class-as-hughes-dobson-bouchard-1.1073407

I'm just getting a sense that there is a better chance of Wahlstrom being available at 9 than Kotkaniemi.

Zadina more likely to be available at 5 than Tkachuk as well? Interesting.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Interesting Button interview post U18. He feels Dobson, Bouchard, and Hughes are ahead of Bodqvist. Likes Tkachuk ahead of Zadina.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...ame-class-as-hughes-dobson-bouchard-1.1073407

I'm just getting a sense that there is a better chance of Wahlstrom being available at 9 than Kotkaniemi.

I don't like Button's list most years, but I think he could be right about Tkachuk.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

It’s funny. Boqvist won the award for best defenseman of the tournament at the U18, but I’m with Button on dropping him a bit. I thought focusing on his play, especially knowing he won the award, would solidify him as the player I want at #5. Instead, it solidified him as a player I don’t want at #5. His skating is really good. Like whoa. His shot is really good. Like whoa. Everything else needs a lot of work.

He makes dumb decisions with and without the puck. That’s honestly okay with me in a skilled 17 year old. Hughes does it too. The difference to me is Hughes has the ability to mitigate his own disasters in the moment and to make up for them later. I don’t see that in Boqvist. Probably a symptom of a small sample size but nonetheless, it’s what I’ve seen. There are times when I prefer his dumbed down approach in the offensive zone to the often overly complicated way Hughes operates with the puck. But when Hughes screws up, he gets on his horse and makes it right. Always. That’s a great quality. Like Keith Yandle.

Reactions: hbk

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Nope. I think u could deal something else for him.

I would however consider Hamilton for 5OV.

I think I would too regarding Hamilton. Only way I move the 5OA is for a young player (25 or younger) who has cpntract length and would only require minor pieces to even out the value (a 3rd or some C level prospects). Getting Hamilton buys us a couple years for our younger defensemen to develop and jump in as our older defensemen move on. Cappo for Goose in two years, POJ for Hammer in three years, etc .

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
21 years old is considered "far enough" down the road? Good to know.

Perhaps there's some wisdom in keeping a longer term project of a center develop away from a lottery team at least for a year or two.
For a guy of draft status much more was expected by this point.
Strome is in Tuscon because he has shown that he simply does not belong in the NHL Why keep Strome away from the parent team to develop. Why not Domi, Keller or Perlini?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Strome is in Tuscon because he has shown that he simply does not belong in the NHL Why keep Strome away from the parent team to develop. Why not Domi, Keller or Perlini?
We kept Domi in junior 2 years to develop. Same with Perlini who did that and a year in The A. Exact same development plan with Strome. Strome's issues relate to strength and physical maturity. That takes time and patience.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I think I would too regarding Hamilton. Only way I move the 5OA is for a young player (25 or younger) who has cpntract length and would only require minor pieces to even out the value (a 3rd or some C level prospects). Getting Hamilton buys us a couple years for our younger defensemen to develop and jump in as our older defensemen move on. Cappo for Goose in two years, POJ for Hammer in three years, etc .

Capo won’t be a NHL regular.

I don’t move this pick under any circumstance. Our prospects have graduated and are playing here already.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I don’t move this pick under any circumstance. Our prospects have graduated and are playing here already.
I wouldn't count out Capo this early. I doubt he's ever an impact player, but he could be a bottom pairing guy.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Interesting indeed. I've heard it myself from several sites and can't make sense of it. With all due respect to Tkackuk, (he's my guy at five) who's going to jump up far enough to bump Zadina two spots. Zadina is clearly showing an elite NHL ready shot. Zadina has to go to Montreal. If the Habs go with a defenceman they'll trade with a partner in that 6-12 range drooling for Zadina. If Montreal stays and takes say Hughes, then Ottawa takes Zadina at four. There's no way in hell Zadina slips to the Yotes. Nor will Tkackuk. Chayka has to be thinking Wahlstrom or Hughes if we stay at five.
Zadina > Hischier

Reactions: Yandover and Grimes

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wouldn't count out Capo this early. I doubt he's ever an impact player, but he could be a bottom pairing guy.
Agreed. Defensemen are harder to project than forwards. Sometimes the lightbulb suddenly turns on. Sometimes it never does.
That's why I want a forward with a top 10 pick unless the guy is head and shoulders above the forward options.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kotkaniemi go to Montreal and Hughes/Bouchard to Ottawa. Zadina could slot right into our lineup and save Chayka the work effort of finding a RW for the upcoming g season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Every player mature at different rates. Not having patience with a player like Strome is stupidity. It's hard for fans, and even some managements to lose patience with these types of players, but we have seen it a hundred times where a player turns out to be a all star.

We kept Domi in junior 2 years to develop. Same with Perlini who did that and a year in The A. Exact same development plan with Strome. Strome's issues relate to strength and physical maturity. That takes time and patience.
Exactly. Patience is a virtue.

I think it is way to early to write off Capo at this stage. I agree, I don't move this pick.

Reactions: RemoAZ

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kotkaniemi go to Montreal and Hughes/Bouchard to Ottawa. Zadina could slot right into our lineup and save Chayka the work effort of finding a RW for the upcoming g season.
hilarious. What a reach. Montreal is desperate for goal scoring. The pick will be Zadina. this kid is a stud and could be better then Sech in my opinion.

Coyotes will be delighted if Tkachuk will be available. He is a talented power forward and will round out the roster well. If not there is Bouchard although I'm always skeptical of Quebec league D. They tend to light it up offensively but are weak defensively.
Wahlstrom looks like a kid with elite Offensive tools. You cant go wrong there.
Although our needs really are D we draft BPA and make trades moving forward.

Reactions: slv

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Interesting the guy drafted just behind Strome Mitch Marner is 170 pounds and weak as a kitten and just lighting it up.
Strome indeed is very weak on the puck. He also lacks quickness which Marner has. When you're weak on the puck you need quickness to make up for it. I do think Strome has good hockey sense so with some more strength perhaps he will indeed make the leap. I'm pulling for him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
hilarious. What a reach. Montreal is desperate for goal scoring. The pick will be Zadina. this kid is a stud and could be better then Sech in my opinion.

Coyotes will be delighted if Tkachuk will be available. He is a talented power forward and will round out the roster well. If not there is Bouchard although I'm always skeptical of Quebec league D. They tend to light it up offensively but are weak defensively.
Wahlstrom looks like a kid with elite Offensive tools. You cant go wrong there.
Although our needs really are D we draft BPA and make trades moving forward.
Couple things...

Bouchard plays in the OHL on the vaunted London Knights, arguably the best junior team in all of hockey for developing NHL talent.

How are the Coyotes biggest need D? The team has a very good core - OEL, Hjalmarsson, Chychrun, Goligoski, and Demers - while not young still have many years ahead of them. PO Joseph is a fine D prospect and Capobianco and Murphy have promise.

This team is desperate for scoring.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If you look at the success of the Jets, Bruins and Sharks, it is clear that speed players, while essential, are not enough. You need size. You need a player or two who is big and plays big. That's why I've always been fond of Tkachuk. Sure it would be nice if Zadina or Svechnikov drops to us, but barring that, I think that I would take Tkachuk over a sniper.

Reactions: hbk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->