Arm Chair GM

Mangosteen

Yotes Ashtray of the NHL
Apr 9, 2018
This was from some friends discussing who is a cornerstone, roster player and trade bait for the Coyotes. I know we will get slag for Stephan but what are your thoughts? Two names I hope are traded is Rinaldo and Hjalmarsson. Any way we can trade Nash so I can watch the games without mute on?

Just the players listed on NHL.com/coyotes

Player

Josh Archibald

Trade Bait

Nick Cousins

Roster

Laurent Dauphin

Trade Bait

Max Domi

Trade Bait

Christian Dvorak

Corner Stone

Christian Fischer

Roster

Freddie Hamilton

Trade Bait

Clayton Keller

Corner Stone

Jordan Martinook

Trade Bait

Richard Panik

Roster

Brendan Perlini

Roster

Brad Richardson (A)

Trade Bait

Zac Rinaldo

Trade Bait

Derek Stepan (A)

Corner Stone
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Player

Jakob Chychrun

Corner Stone

Kevin Connauton

Roster

Jason Demers

Trade Bait

Oliver Ekman-Larsson(A)

Trade Bait

Alex Goligoski (A)

Corner Stone

Niklas Hjalmarsson (A)

Trade Bait

Luke Schenn

Roster
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I wouldn't want to trade our any of our top-5 D (Chych, OEL, Goose, Demers, Hammer). Our D might be top-10 in the NHL when healthy. Also don't want to trade Max, his trade value is alltime low

Reactions: 0point1

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Bandit's trade bait for possible upgrades at forward.

Keller, Dvorak, Domi, Chychrun - Do not trade.

Perlini, Fischer, and Strome. Trade bait

Warning this is my blunt opinion. Perlini is an inconsistent scorer who is weak defensively. Fischer is a gentle teddy bear who is also weak defensively. Both guys will likely be pushed out of auspicious offensive opportunities when Chayka brings in "better" offensive forwards. It is what it is.
Strome is actually someone I would want to keep. However, a team may want a young center with potential.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Warning this is my blunt opinion. Perlini is an inconsistent scorer who is weak defensively. Fischer is a gentle teddy bear who is also weak defensively. Both guys will likely be pushed out of auspicious offensive opportunities when Chayka brings in "better" offensive forwards. It is what it is.

This may very well end up being the case, but with both of them it's worth seeing how it plays out. You get one of them with a break out year making 900k or 1.5m on a bridge? That kind of performance per dollar is worth everything to this team. If they were 23 and doing what they did last year you'd be thinking real hard about changing it up.

But 20 and 21? They've got time. The Coyotes need to be a little patient here.

Reactions: BigDoaner and _Del_

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Very few 20/21 year olds are consistent on offense or defense. If they were clearly stagnating in development after a few years in the pros, sure we would want to move them before they have zero trade value. But that's not the case with Perlini and especially Fischer.

Reactions: 0point1 and ctwin22

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Very few 20/21 year olds are consistent on offense or defense. If they were clearly stagnating in development after a few years in the pros, sure we would want to move them before they have zero trade value. But that's not the case with Perlini and especially Fischer.

This. Need to give Perls & Fish some time to see what type of player they will become. Fischer does a great job of holding onto the puck in the O-zone. Yes, he's not that good in the D-zone, but he's young. Perlini should be a perennial 30-goal scorer, only time will tell whether he can put it all together. Great guy to have on the 3rd line, same with Fischer. I want a better RW for the Strome line and Panik has secured a spot on that top line with his production late.

I can see us getting better if we can get an upgrade on Richardson (I know people like the fact he wins FO, but he's a negative player at this point and we'd be wise to spend the money somewhere else). Cousins is way more productive, and Crouse would be more productive, although with his recent goal scoring touch coming out in the AHL, I'd like to give him 1 more year to really own his offensive game and just maybe we can turn him into a 20-goal scorer at the NHL level.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Also worth mentioning that all those guys are NHL-ready forwards on ELC's. Maybe not great ones (yet or ever), but still NHL quality forwards with upside. We need depth. You saw what happened at the end of the year recalling everyone and their brother from Tucson.

They also don't have trade value equal to the chance they pan out. So while I agree Perlini is probably going to continue to be a streaky, one-dimensional scorer, for example, I'm not sure he draws the sort of value that makes me remove him from the depth chart. There's a chance he puts it together, and if he doesn't, he's still better to have lower in the lineup and available if needed in the top six. That's worth the second or third rounder most of those guys would garner. Strome would bring more, but he's had only brief stretches in the NHL. Garnered 3-5-8 in his 10 game stretch at the end of the season. He doesn't bring enough in return to justify trading him.

Reactions: Yandover

Mangosteen

Yotes Ashtray of the NHL
Apr 9, 2018
Why Hammer and OEL.. Well, I don't know if they want to be here. All just speculation but Hammer to "me" never seemed excited to come to the Yotes and in every interview seemed well sad. I hope he can recover from his injuries as he plays a hard game. OEL is one of my favorite plays hands down. But the end of last year and the first half of this year he too seemed disinterested. Some games it looked like he wanted to get traded. “It's hard to be a playoff team, to get in there,” Tocchet said. “What are you as an individual willing to do? Are you willing to come into camp in the best shape of your life? Are you a culture guy? Do you want to turn the culture around? Are you a buy-in guy? Who are you? We're not scared to get rid of the guys who are not. “We're going to have to get rid of certain guys. Not to be a negative guy, but that's just the way it is.”

I don't know why but when I heard that interview I thought of Hammer and OEL. Hope I am wrong

“We're going to have to get rid of certain guys. Not to be a negative guy, but that's just the way it is.” Agreed, Strome will make opening day roster, then he will be a Yotes. :)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would think that OEL, Keller and Domi are not going anywhere. The crap articles about giving Domi a new start were planted by some GM hoping to create some momentum in that direction. I don't value Perlini and Fischer like others do on this board. I see both in the "if only they could have in their career" category. Tools without the corresponding production. If they go I won't shed a tear, but I will wish them well. We need to choose wisely at the draft in order to choose a top line scorer. That's clear to me.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Why Hammer and OEL.. Well, I don't know if they want to be here. All just speculation but Hammer to "me" never seemed excited to come to the Yotes and in every interview seemed well sad. I hope he can recover from his injuries as he plays a hard game. OEL is one of my favorite plays hands down. But the end of last year and the first half of this year he too seemed disinterested. Some games it looked like he wanted to get traded. “It's hard to be a playoff team, to get in there,” Tocchet said. “What are you as an individual willing to do? Are you willing to come into camp in the best shape of your life? Are you a culture guy? Do you want to turn the culture around? Are you a buy-in guy? Who are you? We're not scared to get rid of the guys who are not. “We're going to have to get rid of certain guys. Not to be a negative guy, but that's just the way it is.”

I don't know why but when I heard that interview I thought of Hammer and OEL. Hope I am wrong

Was that Tocchet quote during the end of the year presser? Seems pretty contradictory to the far more upbeat tone Chayka had.

Can't speak about Hammer, but OEL's comments during that presser pretty clearly indicated a desire to stay a Yote. And his performance on ice improved significantly as the season wore on. In addition to the crap start we had, I'm willing to cut OEL a bit more slack given that his head was probably still not in the right place at the start of the season given his mom's recent passing.

Reactions: Mangosteen

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Why Hammer and OEL.. Well, I don't know if they want to be here. All just speculation but Hammer to "me" never seemed excited to come to the Yotes and in every interview seemed well sad.

They're Swedish. The people are very sedated.

Visit an IKEA...BORING!

ABBA?...nuf said.

Reactions: Yandover

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would keep every single roster player under contract for next season that has any trade value at all (say greater than a 4th round pick).

I have none of our picks or prospects on my untouchable list, however. I'd trade anyone in Tucson or in the prospect pool for the right return.

I'm fine with all of our pending UFAs testing the market before we decide to re-sign them or not. I'm in no hurry to get them re-upped. I'm speaking specifically about Richardson and Connauton, who are our only pending UFAs who are worth anything.

If some dumb team wants to give them too much, I'll shed no tears. I would consider matching any reasonable offer they get. I'd prefer to retain them, and I'm sure both would prefer not to have to move. Let the market set the price. If it's fair, I'd be happy to have the back.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I would think that OEL, Keller and Domi are not going anywhere. The crap articles about giving Domi a new start were planted by some GM hoping to create some momentum in that direction. I don't value Perlini and Fischer like others do on this board. I see both in the "if only they could have in their career" category. Tools without the corresponding production. If they go I won't shed a tear, but I will wish them well. We need to choose wisely at the draft in order to choose a top line scorer. That's clear to me.

Perlini and Fischer have similar rookie NHL seasons as Nino and Coyle (who I've been saying would be decent trade targets). This is a big reason why I wouldnt want to give up on them, but they are a nice comparable of what the two players could amount to.

Nino's 1st full season: 14g, 22a, 82gp
Nino's best season (16/17): 25g 32a 82gp

Coyle's 1st full season: 12g, 18a, 70gp
Coyle's best (16/17) 18g, 38a, 81gp

Perlini 1st full: 17g, 13a in 74gp
Fischer 1st full: 15g, 18a 79gp

It took both Nino and Coyle 2 full seasons to break the 40 point mark. To me this says the larger skilled guys just take a little longer. Again, prefer to hang onto them but wouldnt drink myself into oblivion if Pearls or Fischer were moved for a player like Coyle.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Is this where I say I'm glad we traded Duclair. Back when the trade occurred I felt like Chicago fans wouldn't hear what we had to say about Duke. We were wrong and they hosed us big time. Duclair was going to produce 80 points in Chicago. Yeah ok.

Reactions: Mosby

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What if someone who needs defensive help gets pick #2, and we end up at 6 (lets say someone like Chicago, the Rangers or EDM). Does the 6th plus Perlini get you to #2? Is that an overpayment? I feel that is a good gamble for a team to move Svech for two pieces to help a retool or who already has cap concerns and may not want to have another potential big contract to have to pay. Allows us to add another top 6 forward who can play next season.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Don't get me wrong, I don't want Perlini and Fischer gone and by no means am giving up on them. I listed their flaws to show why I believe we would trade them over the rest of the current top 9. It's purely speculation on my part simply because Chayka said he wants to acquire "better" players in the forward department. Its safe to be presumptuous that those type of players would be top six forwards and not 4th line forwards. One of those players he'll likely get with the 2-6 overall draft pick and AT LEAST another by trade or free agency.

Within the current top nine, the Coyotes seem committed to Keller, Stepan, Domi, Panik. and Dvorak next season. Which leaves Strome, Fischer, and Perlini as the rest of the current top nine before any inevitable forward additions.

I guess we will see what Chayka does this offseason.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I will agree that out of all our roster forwards, Perlini and Fischer seem more likely to be a trade piece for an upgrade. Still, I'd rather just keep and develop them for at least another year unless there's a deal we shouldn't pass up.

Reactions: Bandit34

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bandit's trade bait for possible upgrades at forward.

Keller, Dvorak, Domi, Chychrun - Do not trade.

Perlini, Fischer, and Strome. Trade bait

Strome is actually someone I would want to keep. However, a team may want a young center with potential.
These kids don't mature over night. Let's be patient and give them another year. We are still rebuilding and it takes the kids time to get traction. Perlini is inconsistent, just like most kids playing in the NHL. It can take up to five years for players to develop.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ooops. I should like it Arizona Coyotes display cautious optimism toward next season

I really do hope I am wrong :) I enjoy the chemistry the team showed this year. Even when it was going crappy they didn't turn on each other. Just couldn't think of who else Tock could be speaking of. Could just be a reported making a mountain out of a molehill too.
RT said it like it is. We are third last. We have to improve, and to do that the kids have to get better and we need better vets.

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I will agree that out of all our roster forwards, Perlini and Fischer seem more likely to be a trade piece for an upgrade. Still, I'd rather just keep and develop them for at least another year unless there's a deal we shouldn't pass up.
When we traded for Panik most were screaming and yelling, then he gets hot with Keller and Stepan and we start to think he is untouchable. I would trade him, Martinook, Cousins, Archibald before I would even think of trading Perlini and Fischer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->