Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NYR] Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta for 7th overall and Anthony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Nice to see Arizona making moves to be a better team as oppose to trading away salary for cheap players and taking on dead players to fill cap space.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Disappointed that Vilardi was still there. Tempers my enthusiasm a bit.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Disappointed that Vilardi was still there. Tempers my enthusiasm a bit.

I dont like Vilardi´s skating. Think we could have had Andersson 5 picks later in the draft but he is a decent pick. Good season in a solid SHL. His offensive numbers isnt far behind Nicklas Backstrom´s numbers at the same age. Dont see that kind of offense from Andersson but still i think he will be a very good NHL player.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Pretty fair trade. Yotes looking like a hockey team again. Rangers getting some much needed youth.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can't really evaluate this trade until we see what the Rangers do with the cap.

This was more about money than the 7th overall.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And the Rangers just drafted Hugh Jessiman.

Jessiman was a project that built a reputation beating up on high school kids.

Andersson is a high-floor near shoo-in for the NHL who was already playing against men at 16.

They're basically opposites.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
I like this for Arizona. Get a decent goalie and a 2nd line center and before that a top D man.

lol @ teams that can't make the playoffs calling someone a 2C on a team that's constantly going deep

but yeah stepan is past his prime, good luck

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Stepan is the 1st line C until Dvorak and/or Strome pass him on the depth chart. He provides leadership, a winning attitude, and 2 way skill. That will still be valuable when he is the 3rd line C in a couple years.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I like this trade for NY. Stepan has looked slower and slower and was a non-entity in the POs. For the Rangers to stay as consistently good as they have been for over a decade, they need to keep flipping more expensive, older, slower players for youth on cheaper contracts.

This takes Girardi and Stepan out of the line-up and replaces them with DeAngelo and Andersson.

As for Raanta, time for the Rangers to sign another UFA goalie, train him up with Allaire, pad the stats and then flip him in a couple of years for assets.

Without a generational talent level superstar, this is the best way to have entertaining winning seasons and give the team a chance at a Cup year after year.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I like Chayka steps for Coyotes but I�m not sure if Raanta is ready be the Full-time first goalie behind that defence.

OEL - Hammer
Golikoski - ????
Chychrun - Schenn

Our defence is actually pretty good now, especially if we can add 1 top-4 RHD somewhere it'll be very good

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Arizona fans, you are getting a tremendous player. Someone who will help your younger guys develop, will bring in experience and a winning attitude into that locker room. Massive trade for you guys.

For the Rangers...I'm still scratching my head.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I like Chayka steps for Coyotes but I´m not sure if Raanta is ready be the Full-time first goalie behind that defence.

They have a beauty defense now with Hjalmarsson.

He's getting a great chance in Arizona.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Stepan will be 27 to start the season. A lot of people in this thread are talking about him like he's 33.

mti79

May 11, 2007
lol @ teams that can't make the playoffs calling someone a 2C on a team that's constantly going deep

but yeah stepan is past his prime, good luck

Past his prime? If you're talking about his hair line, then I agree. Otherwise, not even close. He's not going to get much better, but it's not like he'll drop production in the next few years.

mti79

May 11, 2007
I like this trade for NY. Stepan has looked slower and slower and was a non-entity in the POs. For the Rangers to stay as consistently good as they have been for over a decade, they need to keep flipping more expensive, older, slower players for youth on cheaper contracts.

This takes Girardi and Stepan out of the line-up and replaces them with DeAngelo and Andersson.

As for Raanta, time for the Rangers to sign another UFA goalie, train him up with Allaire, pad the stats and then flip him in a couple of years for assets.

Without a generational talent level superstar, this is the best way to have entertaining winning seasons and give the team a chance at a Cup year after year.

I agree that we should see DeAngelo replace Danny in the lineup this year, but I'd be beyond shocked if Andersson makes the jump to the NHL this year.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Why do rangers fans think that Deangelo is anything more than an AHL basket case?

He will never be a full time NHL player.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why do rangers fans think that Deangelo is anything more than an AHL basket case?

He will never be a full time NHL player.

Have you seen what's been on our defense the past few years?

I think DeAngelo has much more talent than you're giving him credit for, but I would happily take an AHL basket case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad