Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NYR] Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta for 7th overall and Anthony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pretty deep 4 lines

You're kind of mixed up there.

Domi - Stepan - Duclair
Perlini - Dvorak - Keller
Crouse - Strome - Fischer
Martinook - Richardson - Rieder
Cousins

OEL - Hammer
Goligoski - ???
Chychrun - Schenn
Connauton

Raanta
Domingue

I expect one of Rieder or Martinook to be dealt soon.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Good lord. Raanta is 28 years old, he was never going to be the successor to Lundqvist. We have several good goalie prospects, including one amazing one in Shestyorkin.

Now we have $23 in cap space (not including re-signing Zib, so minus ~5), there will be more moves obviously. Everyone taking the first chance they get to knock a team, get a grip.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center

Domi - Stepan - Duclair
Cousins

OEL - Hammer
Goligoski - ???
Chychrun - Schenn
Connauton

Raanta
Domingue

I came here to correct myself and post your lineup lol. Thank You ! Much appreciate it . Even more impressive . I think the young talent can do some damage , the game has become theirs .

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i like the deal for both teams

I get the deal if you are a team who feels you are missing a very good 2nd line center, but I am not sure I understand what Arizona sees in this deal other then they will probably go from a bottom 5 team to a playoff bubble team who misses the playoffs.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Domi - Stepan - Duclair
Cousins

OEL - Hammer
Goligoski - ???
Chychrun - Schenn
Connauton

Raanta
Domingue

Kyle Wood

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Seems like a fair deal for both teams. Rangers get some cap space and were able to trade Stepan before his NTC kicked in. AZ gets a youngish 1b center and goalie without having to give up any of their core pieces.

I do think it's paradoxical how negotiating for an NMC/NTC before you're actually UFA eligible seems to often backfire and lead teams to trade the player before the NMC/NTC kicks in. That potential to backfire seems like it would make RFAs cautious about signing deals that extend fairly far into their UFA years.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Seems like a fair deal for both teams. Rangers get some cap space and were able to trade Stepan before his NTC kicked in. AZ gets a youngish 1b center and goalie without having to give up any of their core pieces.

I do think it's paradoxical how negotiating for an NMC/NTC before you're actually UFA eligible seems to often backfire and lead teams to trade the player before the NMC/NTC kicks in. That potential to backfire seems like it would make RFAs cautious about signing deals that extend fairly far into their UFA years.

Gorton is probably trying to move all the NMC given by Sather so he can build the team with a bit more flexibility.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am no Raanta fan, OK goalie, a little shaky, small and old for my liking.

I think it's a good trade for both teams, love that both Gorton and Chayka stepped up and tried to do the right thing.

Who wins the trade? It all comes down to how good Deangelo is and who the NYR gets with the 7th.

And it shouldn't be underrated that NYR cleared 5.75m or something in this trade. Go back a decade -- how many times is that amount cleared in what still is a hockey trade?

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Gorton is probably trying to move all the NMC given by Sather so he can build the team with a bit more flexibility.

It makes sense. You can always trade someone but it's a lot harder if the player has a NTC/NMC (especially if it's unmodified or if there are only a few teams he can be traded to). It seems like many GMs give them out like candy. I get it bc they can pay the player less if they give him a NTC but it seems like many only looked at the short term dollar/cap savings and not the potential drawbacks down the road.

I feel kinda bad for the players who get traded before their NTC kicks in, though. They took less money or term or something in order to get the NTC then they end up losing the money (term) and get nothing in return. They should have known that was a risk but I'm sure wish they'd taken the money instead.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
very nice haul for the rangers for their overpaid 2C an backup tender.
wow

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
very nice haul for the rangers for their overpaid 2C an backup tender.
wow

Under rating the Rangers pieces lol. Overpaid by like 500k-1 mil. Not much. Still a youngish fringe 1C vet that can help the young guys in AZ learn something about a two way game and leadership. And a backup tender that has shown potential to be a starting goalie (and I think he will be a solid one.) fair deal for both sides

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Anthony DeAngelo is a cancer. Everywhere he's been, he's been moved. There's been issues with attitude all throughout his career. He's a bad influence and if this move doesn't wake him up, he'll never amount to anything. Such a shame because he's an ultra talented defenseman with elite offensive skills.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Raanta probably doesnt have a great value in this deal because he was left unprotected 2 days ago. So its basicly all that stuff for Stepan. Im kinda surprised. If someone falls of the the top 6, Rangers fans could be in paradise

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
rags will miss the playoffs next year

been hearing that for few years now.
But hey if they do they get another top draft pick in what should be a strong 2018 draft.
When nash is gone most of their players will either be young or still in their prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad