Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NYR] Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta for 7th overall and Anthony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Have you seen what's been on our defense the past few years?

I think DeAngelo has much more talent than you're giving him credit for, but I would happily take an AHL basket case.

Hes always had talent. Hes also had a pretty severe attitude problem and an issue with keeping his mouth shut with regard to his umm.... non PC stance on race/sexuality.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hes always had talent. Hes also had a pretty severe attitude problem and an issue with keeping his mouth shut with regard to his umm.... non PC stance on race/sexuality.

We knew he was a piece of **** when we made the call, but this league is about winning, not making friends.

When Rangers fans talk about "replacing Girardi in the lineup" you have to understand that half this forum could replace Girardi.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I still don't like the deal for New York. Hopefully I come around on it, but as it stands, Arizona is going to come out of this better in the short term. Long term? Who knows.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why do rangers fans think that Deangelo is anything more than an AHL basket case?

He will never be a full time NHL player.

As a Coyotes fan, I can say I think DeAngelo was excellent in the NHL last season and I have very high hopes for him. Actually if I was given the choice of stealing either Lias Andersson or Anthony DeAngelo from the Rangers, I'd take DeAngelo back.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why do rangers fans think that Deangelo is anything more than an AHL basket case?

I doubt you even bothered to watch him last year. Nobody would watch a 21 year old that good and conclude they'd never be a full time player.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
As a Coyotes fan, I can say I think DeAngelo was excellent in the NHL last season and I have very high hopes for him. Actually if I was given the choice of stealing either Lias Andersson or Anthony DeAngelo from the Rangers, I'd take DeAngelo back.

I'd rather just have Stepan than both of them :(

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Oh, I don't know, maybe because last season he was an NHL player who played 40ish games and put up 10 power play points?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Drafting Lias Andersson over Gabriel Vilardi and Casey Mittelstadt sealed the deal on this being a poor trade by the Rangers.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Oh, I don't know, maybe because last season he was an NHL player who played 40ish games and put up 10 power play points?

Didn't know nhl seasons are fourty games in Arizona.

Arizona must have won the cup if he couldn't crack the lineup eh... Oh they didn't?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Drafting Lias Andersson over Gabriel Vilardi and Casey Mittelstadt sealed the deal on this being a poor trade by the Rangers.

your certainty is admirable
you make it sound like you think that taking the 3rd ranked Euro skater was foolish

Anderrson has played 1-1/2 season against men, in the 3d best league in the world,
Vilardi and Mittelstadt have been playing against boys

word was LA, who took Vilardi one pick later, was leaning to Andersson

we heard the same second guessing when NYR chose JTMiller at 15
of the next 50 guys drafted, only 2d rounders Saad and Kucherov have notably better numbers,
the "projected first rounders' NYR "should have taken" - well, maybe not

this Swede is an all round and competitive player.
with comparisons out there to Backstrom and Zetterburg.

many Ranger fans are not unhappy with the pick
we shall see in 3 years or so,

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Only 40 games and he still managed to get a 3 day vacation from DoPS out of it. Impressive!

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net

Arizona must have won the cup if he couldn't crack the lineup eh... Oh they didn't?

The Coyotes were trying to get Stone into game shape and actively shopping him, which was more important to the franchise than DeAngelo getting minutes. DeAngelo was a better partner with Goligoski than Stone was...

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
your certainty is admirable
you make it sound like you think that taking the 3rd ranked Euro skater was foolish

Anderrson has played 1-1/2 season against men, in the 3d best league in the world,
Vilardi and Mittelstadt have been playing against boys

word was LA, who took Vilardi one pick later, was leaning to Andersson

we heard the same second guessing when NYR chose JTMiller at 15
of the next 50 guys drafted, only 2d rounders Saad and Kucherov have notably better numbers,
the "projected first rounders' NYR "should have taken" - well, maybe not

this Swede is an all round and competitive player.
with comparisons out there to Backstrom and Zetterburg.

many Ranger fans are not unhappy with the pick
we shall see in 3 years or so,

LA picked 3 picks later not "one pick later". Buffalo Detroit and Florida picked after the Rangers selected Andersson.
As someone who is indifferent to both the Coyotes and Rangers I think this was a good trade for both franchises. Rangers free up cap space, get a couple good young players in the process, the Coyotes get a real good 2nd line center that can play in any situation and they get a young goalie that could potentially end up being an above average starter. Chayka has been doing a great job there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Genuine question to Yotes' fans from an interested TB fan: Aside from the suspension, were there rumors about attitude problems/bad behavior in Arizona?

Nothing REALLY came out in TB, because nothing in TB ever leaks, but, it sure looked like we got him off the AHL roster just to get him out of the locker room. We got no OFFICIAL word of a fire, mind you, but it seemed like there was a whole of smoke around him in his last year with Syracuse. So I'm just wondering if, in Arizona, it seemed like he was moving beyond that, and this is just a straight up hockey trade? Or are there reasons to believe his teammates and/or management had had enough of him, as may well have been the case in TB? One answer is pretty good for NYR, because, if he ever matures, he's going to be a great player.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Genuine question to Yotes' fans from an interested TB fan: Aside from the suspension, were there rumors about attitude problems/bad behavior in Arizona?

Nothing REALLY came out in TB, because nothing in TB ever leaks, but, it sure looked like we got him off the AHL roster just to get him out of the locker room. We got no OFFICIAL word of a fire, mind you, but it seemed like there was a whole of smoke around him in his last year with Syracuse. So I'm just wondering if, in Arizona, it seemed like he was moving beyond that, and this is just a straight up hockey trade? Or are there reasons to believe his teammates and/or management had had enough of him, as may well have been the case in TB? One answer is pretty good for NYR, because, if he ever matures, he's going to be a great player.

The best way to answer this is to go listen to GM Gorton's interviews after the trade. Arizona did not add him to this trade, he was an ASK from the Rangers, and an important part of making the trade to them. They are in desperate need of a RH shot PP QB defenseman, and got one who is young with a ton of up side and two years left on his EL contract.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The best way to answer this is to go listen to GM Gorton's interviews after the trade. Arizona did not add him to this trade, he was an ASK from the Rangers, and an important part of making the trade to them. They are in desperate need of a RH shot PP QB defenseman, and got one who is young with a ton of up side and two years left on his EL contract.

Good trade for NYR then.

They should maybe have someone work with him though. The media there is going to be a whole different ballgame, and it wouldn't shock me if they intentionally go looking for his buttons.

Fascinating player. Literally the only thing that can hold him back is his attitude. But it's pretty much impossible for us on the outside to know if that's even still a factor.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Nothing you said made any sense. You called him an AHL'er while acknowledging he played in the NHL, but not enough games to be considered an NHL'er?

Maybe he pans out and maybe he doesn't. But calling him an AHL'er and this point is inaccurate.

Harlyy35

May 6, 2017
rangers and arizona trade

whats up with the rangers? are they in a mini rebuild, whats the point in sending away a 27 year old stepan when youre in a win now mode looking at lundqvists age. why get a prospect that might have just as high of a ceiling?

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA

Hey bud... do you mind posting a link to where I can listen to the interview with Gorton? I'm real curious what he had to say. Thanks.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
According to our GM we are "Rebuilding on the Fly", which who knows what that actually means.

They traded Step because they didn't like the way his game was trending, he was making 6.5 and his NTC was about to kick in.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
whats up with the rangers? are they in a mini rebuild, whats the point in sending away a 27 year old stepan when youre in a win now mode looking at lundqvists age. why get a prospect that might have just as high of a ceiling?

yes

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Andersson getting a lot of **** in this thread so I'm just going to paste what I wrote in the prospects section about him (idk how to quote from other threads)

Anderssons put up the same pace as Nylander in the same league in his pre draft year and also had a better PPG in more games in his draft year than Nylanders (both in the SHL)
LA- 19 points in 42 games
Bill Ny- 7 points in 22 games
Add in the fact that he was much superior defensively compared to Nylander I'm very happy. Not saying he'll end up better than Nylander or whatever I'm just stating it's pretty impressive while playing only 13 minutes a night in a defensive role. Also putting up comparable numbers to Backstrom. I think he can end up as a 60-65 point player that is Selke-caliber. Somewhere between Zetterberg and Backlund. Okay, maybe I am overrating him a bit but he has legit potential and people think he's inept offensively because he's a defensive forward. I expect him to breakout offensively next season with Frolunda with Dahlin in the back end too and people will be surprised and then say it was a good reach. He's NHL ready for sure but only in a bottom 6 role. He needs one more year in the SHL and then he'll be ready to come over. His floor seems to be a good middle sixer and he also has good potential and enough to be a 1C similar to Koivu (he doesn't play like Koivu but similar as in he'll be a 1C that's good for 55-65 points per year with Selke level defending.) His shot and speed are also very underrated too as he has a very good shot with a quick release. Could we have moved down to like 13-15 and got assets for him? Sure, but I'm still happy with this pick and the Chytil one (not the rest of the Rangers draft though) big hopes for the kid. Rangers fans are mad because they see him as a future 2C (which is still solid)

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Why does anyone think the Rangers are just going to stop being competitive once Hank hangs it up? I'm certain Shestyorkin is a solid goalie and if not, do you think they won't go out and get the right guy?

They are a pretty young team and when Hank is gone in 2or 3 years, some of these young players will be in their prime.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Why does anyone think the Rangers are just going to stop being competitive once Hank hangs it up? I'm certain Shestyorkin is a solid goalie and if not, do you think they won't go out and get the right guy?

They are a pretty young team and when Hank is gone in 2or 3 years, some of these young players will be in their prime.

Bc honestly gorton needs to think long term. They pawned off prospect futures for a long time and if no cups come to them soon, those aging talents are going to either leave for free or be worth squat. The stepan trade is tough but getting deangelo and that extra 1st this year was a smart move. At some point, a rebuild is going to be necessary, but he can't just focus on gunning for the cup right now. They can do what you said - be competitive with shestyorkin maybe - but at what cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad