Confirmed Trade: [ARI/NYR] Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta for 7th overall and Anthony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Wow, that's crazy how close that proposal was. And how everyone hated it.

I mean 1 and 3 arent that close. 1 is similar value that happened + Domi and 3 is similar value + Strome.

2 Is the closest but I would assum Yotes fans value Keller over 7 by a decent chunck

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I know that this was likely done to make room for Shattenkirk, but if I'm Shatty I'm not even considering the Rangers now, they just created a massive hole up the middle and just traded away the guy that might have been able to replace Lundquivst in a couple years.

I haven't liked a lot of what Arizona has done since the new GM was hired but I LOVE this for them this is a fantastic deal for Arizona

What is in the water in Toronto? Do you think the Rangers are done dealing and do you really think Raanta is the King's replacement....Shestyorkin clearly is.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Rangers centers

Zibanejad
Miller
Hayes

They're really no worse than before. Needed to make room on the wing for Buchnevich in the top 9 anyway

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Coyotes need a playoff push badly for the state of their franchise.

7th OV is hefty but not bad if Raanta is the real deal.

I bet Vegas is kicking themselves for not taking him.

Vegas made a TON of dumb decisions, and letting teams so easily off the hook for lousy mid round picks. McPhee is awful.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I know that this was likely done to make room for Shattenkirk, but if I'm Shatty I'm not even considering the Rangers now, they just created a massive hole up the middle and just traded away the guy that might have been able to replace Lundquivst in a couple years.

I haven't liked a lot of what Arizona has done since the new GM was hired but I LOVE this for them this is a fantastic deal for Arizona

You are way off with your assessment of the Rangers goalie situation.

Shestyorkin is one of the best goalie prospects in the world and probably a top 5 prospect overall with all the recent graduates like Chabot, Keller, McAvoy, etc.

Then we have Wall and Huska who have huge potential as well.

Our goalie pipeline is easily the strongest part of the entire organisation. Replacing Lundqvist is the last of our worries.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The main thing was unloading Steps before his NMC kicked in July 1.

There's plenty of time for Gorton, and plenty of cap space to rebuild up the middle.

It is interesting how upcoming NTC/NMC clauses have encouraged more then a few teams to trade a player in recent years. Instead of protecting the player as desired it created an urgency to trade the player instead. Now the player ends up with no NTC/NMC at all.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

:laugh: whats a couple years? because Raanta isn't exactly young... Benoit Allaire has done a great job identifying goalie talent and building it up with Talbot and Raanta in the short term well find someone else and than Shestyorkin is likely Hanks replacement.

Step, Zib, and Hayes scored at similar rates last season. Mika has the talent to be better offensively than Stepan. Were putting a lot of faith in Zib and Hayes to step up but I think the hole up the middle is a little overstated.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Rangers centers

Zibanejad
Miller
Hayes

They're really no worse than before. Needed to make room on the wing for Buchnevich in the top 9 anyway

The thing is with or without Stepan we have no franchise center and we wont win a Cup until we get one.

This pick is our best chance at drafting and developing our own guy in 15 years since we have been a playoff team all but once since the lockout. And even that year we were as close as you can get to making it but not.

No more running in circles. Get our franchise center at 7 and we are mint.

Or keep Stepan and go one and done next year and just delay the inevitable.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
The thing is with or without Stepan we have no franchise center and we wont win a Cup until we get one.

This pick is our best chance at drafting and developing our own guy in 15 years since we have been a playoff team all but once since the lockout. And even that year we were as close as you can get to making it but not.

Uhh, there isn't a franchise C in this draft at all. Definitely no franchise player at 7.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

Stepan is probably what you can realistically hope for at #7, without getting a lottery win on a boom/bust prospect.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Strome-Stepan could be a great 1-2 punch provided Strome develops as expected. Strome being relied on offensively, Stepan as the two-way 2C.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
They don't need Stepan to be a #1 Center they have amazing youngsters wow. Fischer and Dvorak are on the most underrated youngsters as well. Then you have Domi, Strome, Keller , Merkley , Perlini, Duclair and Crowse for the bottom 6. Insanely deep.

I'm not sure what positions the players play or else i'd project a lineup . Anyone ?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Good move for NYR to unload Stepan, it was needed, but that #7 pick is not sexy in this draft.

seems like its no-mans land after #5

One of Necas/Pettersson/Makar should be available there so it's actually pretty solid. Also we get Deangelo who I really like. As a Rangers fan I'm beyond happy with this although I really liked Stepan. Good luck in Arizona Stepan, Yotes look solid now.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I have a bad feeling Rangers are going to send 7th overall to the Canadiens for Chucky

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Domi-Stepan-Dvorak
Perlini-Strome/Keller-Reider
Duclair-Cousins-Fischer
Crowse-Martinook-Richardson
Burmistrov

OEL-Hammer
Goligoski- X
Chychrun-Schenn
Connauton

Raanta

Pretty deep 4 lines

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This trade also raises the question about the Rangers future in goal because Lundqvist isn't getting any younger. Do the Rangers have someone in mind inside their organization if Lundqvist gets hurt or his play slips??

The bigger question is...How are the rangers going to win a Cup now while Lundqvist is still playing?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This trade also raises the question about the Rangers future in goal because Lundqvist isn't getting any younger. Do the Rangers have someone in mind inside their organization if Lundqvist gets hurt or his play slips??

They have some guy in Russia who if you look at top Goalie Prospect who generally is rated top 5 if not top 3.

As for the trade is it me or is it a game of hot potato with Anthony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad