Are we being too hard on Maurice?

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Perreault's misuse is the most egregious one. Another one is Armia, guy was fire last year on the PK and this season maurice hardly has him doing even that, despite having him on the 4th line who's jobs often include PK. Did he have a few bad ones early in the season or what?

Reactions: sipowicz

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Perreault's misuse is the most egregious one. Another one is Armia, guy was fire last year on the PK and this season maurice hardly has him doing even that, despite having him on the 4th line who's jobs often include PK. Did he have a few bad ones early in the season or what?

How unreal would a Dano-Perreault-Armia 3rd line be? All 3 score at a decent level (2 of them in Perreault and Dano much above 3rd line rate) and there's lots of defensive responsibility there. We can be 4 lines deep with Lowry - Copp and Matthias/Tanev adding much on 4th. This is how we can create crazy mismatches against all opponents.

Reactions: Finnish Homer

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Maurice has built culture where young players are afraid of making mistakes and veterans who should lead by example are not countable, for player development ant building culture it should be other way.

Powerplay stats are great but in reality its not working because what the fuglien can't move the puck, while best puck moving defenseman Morrissey is waiting at the bench for power play to be over to get on the ice.

Laine has best shot of league and he does not get to use his weapon because he plays with PP with same unit as WTF and even strength he is on the ice with shooter Ehlers. Laine should be on line with Perreault or Connor on left wing. Laine is also the best playmaker in team so his job is to stand without the puck in slot in power play............

Armia has top 6 potential and excellent penalty killing skills so he plays on 4th line........

Chiarot got benched last game when he was doing job of WTF by clearing Kunitz out from Hellenbyuck way, while WTF pushed Chiarot to own goalies lap and took goalies stick away with his foot while screening goalie. :ha:

Tanev was one of the best penalty killers last season so he got dumped to minors.

Teams can do whatever in regular season, but when playoffs start only teams that can avoid mistakes and play as five man unit have chance to succeed. This team is couple players away from being a real contender, but only if EVERY player has same responsibilities. With Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey, Trouba, Myers, Wheeler, Perreault the Jets have enough talent to win without pushing for chances. With that kind of (still developing) talent only thing is to get everything working in own zone.

Maurice can't control ego of WTF and that ego is taking Jets culture to wrong direction.

Reactions: boanst and sipowicz

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
One game with one bad turnover, the second game of the season. Mo basically set him up to fail back then and succeeded.

Reactions: Male75FromFinland

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Chiarot got benched last game when he was doing job of WTF by clearing Kunitz out from Hellenbyuck way, while WTF pushed Chiarot to own goalies lap and took goalies stick away with his foot while screening goalie. :ha:

Chiarot got benched last game because Stamkos and Kucherov were using him like kids playing with the turnstiles at the amusement park. He was brutal.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Playing Perreault more shouldn't be rocket surgery, I mean come on. In what world does an offensively challenged "checking line" all play more minutes than one of the top play drivers and P/60 players on the team.

It's the coaches job to figure out how to get guys like that on the ice more, to you know, help win the game.

Mo needs to figure it out, pronto.

On his way to deciding that Perrault should get scraps for ice time, Maurice used his V8-sized brain (the one that shoots out electrical arcs like old horror-movie laboratories) to analyze all the fancy stats the Jets collect. He's a man of the 21st century (BC).

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Chiarot got benched last game because Stamkos and Kucherov were using him like kids playing with the turnstiles at the amusement park. He was brutal.

Any defenseman playing with what the buff looks like that. Remember last night when Chiarot looked to his right and did not find his "partner" beside him because "partner" have had idea to leave his position and was over blue line facing wrong way with 5 Lighting players inside of Jets zone :thumbu:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Any defenseman playing with what the buff looks like that. Remember last night when Chiarot looked to his right and did not find his "partner" beside him because "partner" have had idea to leave his position and was over blue line facing wrong way with 5 Lighting players inside of Jets zone :thumbu:
All you do every game is attack Byfuglien, there is no sense discussing it with you because there is absolutely nothing he can do right in your eyes. Byfuglien is a very good and very important player for the Jets, he has his warts, like any player does but many of them are magnified because of the heavy responsibility placed up on him. Why don't you try watching a game and seeing the value Buff brings to the team and why he is such an important player? The constant negativity in every one of your posts just lacks credibility, it's so clearly biased towards him.

Reactions: Gotaf7

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All you do every game is attack Byfuglien, there is no sense discussing it with you because there is absolutely nothing he can do right in your eyes. Byfuglien is a very good and very important player for the Jets, he has his warts, like any player does but many of them are magnified because of the heavy responsibility placed up on him. Why don't you try watching a game and seeing the value Buff brings to the team and why he is such an important player? The constant negativity in every one of your posts just lacks credibility, it's so clearly biased towards him.

Agreed, for the most part Buff has played quite well this year. I still think he can clean up his penalties and take shorter shifts but on balance he's been good.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
How unreal would a Dano-Perreault-Armia 3rd line be? All 3 score at a decent level (2 of them in Perreault and Dano much above 3rd line rate) and there's lots of defensive responsibility there. We can be 4 lines deep with Lowry - Copp and Matthias/Tanev adding much on 4th. This is how we can create crazy mismatches against all opponents.

That would sound like something that could work, has Perreault played center much? To me it just seems like Maurice knows Armia's value in a sense that I don't think he would keep Perreault on the 4th line if it was someone else on the RW but he knows that with Perreault and Armia they can sort of carry hendricks and have them matched against other 4th lines and dominate them.

Maurice has built culture where young players are afraid of making mistakes and veterans who should lead by example are not countable, for player development ant building culture it should be other way.

Armia has top 6 potential and excellent penalty killing skills so he plays on 4th line........

Gotta remember that Armia was a mid 1st round pick drafted for his offensive talent, he was known as a sniper too when he was a prospect. The potential is there but I think part of it is Armia took some knocks early in his career and then got repogrammed hard to accept the role of a grinder but ever so often the brilliance breaks through when he makes some crazy good plays like stickhandling through the entire Canadiens team and roofing it on price or when he made Oduyu and t he Dallas team look like idiots. There was actually a few of those PK moments where he just single handedly took the opposing team to school. Now those can be called invidual plays sure but when have you EVER seen other "bottom 6 guys" like Copp, Tanev exhibit that kind of offensive talent.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010

I have made everything to see EVERY good thing what the buff does. So far I have seen that he is excellent for pointing puck when it goes out of play. His got good balance. Unbelievable self confidence. His presence calms opponents dirty plays. I bet he is super guy if you ask it from him.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
There is no change of direction for me. I disliked his signing as a head coach for the exact reasons I think he's a bad coach now. I am sure you can find my posts on the subject in a thread around the time of his hiring.

Why do you try and make this an emotional issue? Thinking he's a bad coach is akin to wishing him burned alive like the witch hunts of the days of yore? This is a dishonest way to carry out a discussion. Do you think there is some ulterior motive for not liking Maurice?

He's not good at his job for an number of very obvious objective reasons. I don't see any counters to these besides appeals to authority. You can choose to have faith in authority, that's all good, but don't try and claim people are haters or on witch hunts when there is plenty of empirical evidence that support the position that he's not a good coach.

Fans have been on and off the PoMo bandwagon all season - depends which way the wind blows.
Emotion wasn't my intent and you are taking the "stake" comment way to seriously and calling it out as dishonest is laughable - lighten up.
I for one, think he as done a decent job with our youth movement - perfect, no but then again, I don't hold him to that standard.
Your posts suck the fun completely out of this board - thanks, ignore.
There is no change of direction for me. I disliked his signing as a head coach for the exact reasons I think he's a bad coach now. I am sure you can find my posts on the subject in a thread around the time of his hiring.

Why do you try and make this an emotional issue? Thinking he's a bad coach is akin to wishing him burned alive like the witch hunts of the days of yore? This is a dishonest way to carry out a discussion. Do you think there is some ulterior motive for not liking Maurice?

He's not good at his job for an number of very obvious objective reasons. I don't see any counters to these besides appeals to authority. You can choose to have faith in authority, that's all good, but don't try and claim people are haters or on witch hunts when there is plenty of empirical evidence that support the position that he's not a good coach.

Thanks for the lecture pucka - ignore

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

I have to agree with male75 here. Buff has been pretty atrocious last season and only passable this season. He makes a lot of bad reads, more so than any other defenseman in the team. Of course he also plays the most so he has more time to f*** up. But yeah he is not a good defenseman and I have hard time calling someone tjat confused about their intended positioning as "defenseman". Like watching a huge Karlsson running around without the ability to get back to defense in time.

He has some good abilities, physical play mainly, but he isn't worth half his pay in open market. Vastly overrated by long time jets fans and that is why I think it's nostalgia. Team has at least 3 better defensemen and all a lot cheaper.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He'd still be out of the NHL had the Jets not come calling, most probably think a lot of him based on his personality and gift for gab and not his actual coaching ability which is lacking. Maurice is always a coach that has played it safe, stick with underperforming vets no matter what so as not to ruffle feathers, refuse to make lineup or line changes in games, usually under value young players ie. Connor out of training camp-sending clearly an NHL ready player to the Moose....

We'll see how the next 10 games play out but the recent losing streak has as much to do with sub-par coaching as bad luck or poor play on the players.
I like this post because it has been traditionally true of his career, I do hope we do NOT go on a skid as it would really be gloomy here.
I think the next 10 games will indeed be telling Sip.
It's scary giving the keys to your Porsche to a valet......

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The only reason one would think Buff has only been passable this year is because he hasn’t set Laine up for 10 one-timer goals this year. Even though that PP has Laine rotate to the middle and have Schief in the ideal one timing spot.

Even @Jet has liked Buff’s play overall this year. And that’s saying A LOT.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I have to agree with male75 here. Buff has been pretty atrocious last season and only passable this season. He makes a lot of bad reads, more so than any other defenseman in the team. Of course he also plays the most so he has more time to **** up. But yeah he is not a good defenseman and I have hard time calling someone tjat confused about their intended positioning as "defenseman". Like watching a huge Karlsson running around without the ability to get back to defense in time.

He has some good abilities, physical play mainly, but he isn't worth half his pay in open market. Vastly overrated by long time jets fans and that is why I think it's nostalgia. Team has at least 3 better defensemen and all a lot cheaper.
Truly not surprised by that evaluation. A lot of people just don't really know what to look for in assessing a good defenseman. It's usually based on antiquated notion that every defenseman plays the same way.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Truly not surprised by that evaluation. A lot of people just don't really know what to look for in assessing a good defenseman. It's usually based on antiquated notion that every defenseman plays the same way.

I agree, would even go so far that I would suggest most people don't understand basic positioning needs in hockey and the bells and whistles makes them overlook fundamental issues in players. Buff is one of them who gets a pass for bad play every time here by a small group of fans.

Everyone else can see he is rather awful at basic positioning and decision making.

Usually same people who get personally insulted when people bring up any of Wheelers problems. Maurice is the head of that group apparently because he doesn't see their flaws either.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup despite being a bit unorthodox he's phenomenal at preventing controlled breakins and his puck retrieval is also top 2 on the team a long with JoMo. He does tend to get lost positionally in his own end at times and isn't always aware of his rotations bit on balance he's definitely been good this season.

Reactions: Ducky10

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
The only reason one would think Buff has only been passable this year is because he hasn’t set Laine up for 10 one-timer goals this year. Even though that PP has Laine rotate to the middle and have Schief in the ideal one timing spot.

Even @Jet has liked Buff’s play overall this year. And that’s saying A LOT.

I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with the fact that he loses his man in defense and that man scores a goal against jets die to Byfuglien losing him. Or the badly timed rushes that end up in our net before he is out of the offensive zone. Or the casual lazy breakaway passes to the opponent in our defensive zone as the last man.

Of course his slow decisions and bad decisions on PP are a small problem but PP works despite of him. Should work better with a defenseman who doesn't need to wait for opponent to set up in passing lanes before he can make the pass. That is a minor issue, the defensive lapses are the source of the most criticism.

He has an A on his jersey and there are two kinds of people here...the ones who think a letter on the chest is immunity for criticism and those who think the letter means extra responsibility and extra scrutiny.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with the fact that he loses his man in defense and that man scores a goal against jets die to Byfuglien losing him. Or the badly timed rushes that end up in our net before he is out of the offensive zone. Or the casual lazy breakaway passes to the opponent in our defensive zone as the last man.

Of course his slow decisions and bad decisions on PP are a small problem but PP works despite of him. Should work better with a defenseman who doesn't need to wait for opponent to set up in passing lanes before he can make the pass. That is a minor issue, the defensive lapses are the source of the most criticism.

He has an A on his jersey and there are two kinds of people here...the ones who think a letter on the chest is immunity for criticism and those who think the letter means extra responsibility and extra scrutiny.

Oh so now you know how people think too? Obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about when you say people think Buff is immune to criticism. Buff has been probably the most scrutinized Jet the last 5-7 years. Of course you wouldn’t know that though... :shakehead

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I agree, would even go so far that I would suggest most people don't understand basic positioning needs in hockey and the bells and whistles makes them overlook fundamental issues in players. Buff is one of them who gets a pass for bad play every time here by a small group of fans.

Everyone else can see he is rather awful at basic positioning and decision making.

Usually same people who get personally insulted when people bring up any of Wheelers problems. Maurice is the head of that group apparently because he doesn't see their flaws either.

You see what you want to see, that much is evident. I place little to no value in what you might deem basic positioning or decision making, it holds no weight. I have no idea what you mean by bells and whistles, I'm not convinced you do either. Buff is one of the most heavily criticized players on this board, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. Everyone can see? No, I would argue there is probably a smaller subset of fans who have no clue why he is so valuable, than those who do.

Not sure what Wheeler has to do with this. I really don't think anyone gets personally insulted when he is criticized, no player is above criticism. Some people just criticize him for things that aren't true and mainly because they don't like him.

Come back when you actually have something substantive to point out, instead of just making broad, vague references to "positioning" and "fundamentals". How about an actual breakdown next time he plays, something actually specific instead of tossing out the cliches.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Oh so now you know how people think too? Obviously you don’t know what you’re talking about when you say people think Buff is immune to criticism. Buff has been probably the most scrutinized Jet the last 5-7 years. Of course you wouldn’t know that though... :shakehead

No I wouldn't know but it's very easy to see why he has been. He has a salary of a top 3 defenseman in the league and he makes more mistakes than the AHL guys who get called up. Due to more minutes mainly.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
You see what you want to see, that much is evident. I place little to no value in what you might deem basic positioning or decision making, it holds no weight. I have no idea what you mean by bells and whistles, I'm not convinced you do either. Buff is one of the most heavily criticized players on this board, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. Everyone can see? No, I would argue there is probably a smaller subset of fans who have no clue why he is so valuable, than those who do.

Not sure what Wheeler has to do with this. I really don't think anyone gets personally insulted when he is criticized, no player is above criticism. Some people just criticize him for things that aren't true and mainly because they don't like him.

Come back when you actually have something substantive to point out, instead of just making broad, vague references to "positioning" and "fundamentals". How about an actual breakdown next time he plays, something actually specific instead of tossing out the cliches.

You need specifics? November 27th against Wild. First two goals against. Big Buff.

That's just the first one that comes to mind but there are plenty.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Is it possible to find a stat of how many times players ice the puck. I’d wager Chiarot is a solid 4-5 times the league average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad