Are we being too hard on Maurice?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Fans have been on and off the PoMo bandwagon all season - depends which way the wind blows.
Emotion wasn't my intent and you are taking the "stake" comment way to seriously and calling it out as dishonest is laughable - lighten up.
I for one, think he as done a decent job with our youth movement - perfect, no but then again, I don't hold him to that standard.
Your posts suck the fun completely out of this board - thanks, ignore.

Thanks for the lecture pucka - ignore
Hey, do you think he's ignoring me? He said he is.

When you respond to me, why talk about what other people do? oh wait, maybe he ignored me.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
You need specifics? November 27th against Wild. First two goals against. Big Buff.

That's just the first one that comes to mind but there are plenty.
Don't recall saying Buff never makes mistakes, every player does. Why don't you show me? Let's break those goals down and see why they were Buff's fault. If they were at all.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Don't recall saying Buff never makes mistakes, every player does. Why don't you show me? Let's break those goals down and see why they were Buff's fault. If they were at all.

I wouldn't put those goals 100% on Buff far from it. First one Zucker is not his man although Buff failed to get the puck into the zone. The second one is more on Kulikov and Laine failing pretty badly and spectacularly behind the net leaving Buff to cover two guys in front.

Reactions: Ducky10

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
I think the people who suggest that Byfuglien is what's wrong with the Chiarot-Byfuglien pairing are a bit misguided.

All you buff lovers and Chiarot haters forget your corsi or whatever stats and take a look next time buff plays. When he touches the puck, go ahead and count to five and see which team has full control of the puck. Or take a look when he hits, sure its hard hit but has he looked that hit will not result odd man rush against. Or when he shoots is there any change that some one can deflect the puck. I understand that some people really think that he is superhuman when he selfishly tries one handed wrap around again or when he passes long pass to a team mate who is all alone surrounded by opponents. Not to mention those hits that look good when everything goes right, but what about those +20 times he tries those things and won't succeed. Problem is that he tries those things all the time, while Chiarot is playing boring looking hockey because he knows he has no business trying other than boring things so he does not hurt the team.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
One year ago I asked from you buff fans to show me one, not two but one game where I see that mystery man "good buff" no one ever found a single game.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
The way you talk of him it’s like Buff and Chiarot are no different defensively.

They are quite different defensively.

Chiarot is bad on defense because he lacks the skills to perform on the highest level.

Byfuglien is bad on defense because he sometimes just doesn't give a shit. He makes reckless plays that I as a hockey enthusiast, cannot defend. He gets blinders on for chasing a goal at times. He sometimes makes the riskiest play as the lowest man in defensive end, because he wants to, when safer options are around.

He takes very undisciplined penalties often.

I don't question the man's skills. He is a fantastic player in "beast mode" as many describe it, but that mode is very few and far between. We see much more of bad Buff than good Buff. And that's more a knock on his professionalism than his hockey skills. He could be worth his contract if he felt like it but I haven't seen him feeling like it much. Sorry if you feel that is too harsh on him.

Reactions: Male75FromFinland

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I wouldn't put those goals 100% on Buff far from it. First one Zucker is not his man although Buff failed to get the puck into the zone. The second one is more on Kulikov and Laine failing pretty badly and spectacularly behind the net leaving Buff to cover two guys in front.

Well I'd expect you to get it, not so much others.

Thanks for posting these. You re a brave man to point the finger at Laine.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Well I'd expect you to get it, not so much others.

Thanks for posting these. You re a brave man to point the finger at Laine.

I didn't see him pointing the finger at Laine.

I mean in that situation he just falls, that's usually not the players fault but ice etc. And he is behind the net trying to help defense because Buff is late. He shouldn't need to go there in the first place.

Chiarot loses the puck battle, Laine wipes out, Buff doesn't cover open man in slot. If you think that's not on Buff, you're welcome to your opinion.

Then you just "get" hockey differently than I do.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Can anyone explain Perreault's ice time lately? It feels like whenever the guy plays, he's racking up points. But then when I look at his TOI.. I get really confused. 10 minutes, 11 minutes, 9 minutes.. is he really this bad 5on5? I'm not sure I understand I always thought pretty highly of him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Can anyone explain Perreault's ice time lately? It feels like whenever the guy plays, he's racking up points. But then when I look at his TOI.. I get really confused. 10 minutes, 11 minutes, 9 minutes.. is he really this bad 5on5? I'm not sure I understand I always thought pretty highly of him.
The Jets have him on the 4th line with Hendricks and Armia and they are killing their matchups. Some see it as a bit of a secret weapon being able to put out a good top 6 player in that type of situation especially with Armia who is also quite skilled. Take it as a sign on how deep this Jets team is. He also gets 2nd PP time which he takes advantage of.

Reactions: Crescent Street

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets have him on the 4th line with Hendricks and Armia and they are killing their matchups. Some see it as a bit of a secret weapon being able to put out a good top 6 player in that type of situation especially with Armia who is also quite skilled. Take it as a sign on how deep this Jets team is. He also gets 2nd PP time which he takes advantage of.

It would be interesting to see those two bookending a halfway decent offensive player, even a Lowry or Copp. One shift last night Armia and Perreault cycled it for about 20 seconds but everytime one of them came around the net and looked into the slot Hendricks was there and they just kept cycling it. Made me think that if that 3rd guy could shoot/handle the puck we probably would have had a couple scoring chances on that shift.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
He is actually first line quality 5on5 performer historically. Him playing that little is bush league coaching.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that Maurice has to find a way to get more ice-time for Perreault 5v5. To do this, I think the most efficient way of doing this would be to pare back a bit on the ice-time for the #1 line - Scheifele and Wheeler are playing too much, as it is. I still think the main problem is Hendricks, because he can't be relied on enough, so Maurice uses his line less at 5v5. The obvious solution would be to bring in a better C to play with Perreault and Armia. That line is scoring at a high rate, but are also giving up a fair bit on the defensive side.

He could also perhaps knock off a shift or two from the #2 and #3 lines (especially if the Jets have more PPs), but I can understand not wanting to dock much time from Lowry's line. Since Lowry's return his line has been a very big net positive for the team, with a lot of D zone starts and facing good competition.

lowryad93

lowryad93

As has been noted earlier, their defensive play has been outstanding.

lowryad93

Reactions: Crescent Street

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
There are so many easy ways to get Perreault more ice time. The problem is that PoMo is pretty much useless at managing his line in game.

Here are some easy options:
  • Give Perreault x percentage of Connor's shifts.
  • Give Perreault x percentage of Copp's shifts.
  • Play Perreault with Lowry and give him x percentage of Connor's shifts
  • Play Perreault with Scheifele and give him x percentage of Copp's shift
  • on and on
Only PoMo see the jets roster as a static set of lines in game.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There are so many easy ways to get Perreault more ice time. The problem is that PoMo is pretty much useless at managing his line in game.

Here are some easy options:
  • Give Perreault x percentage of Connor's shifts.
  • Give Perreault x percentage of Copp's shifts.
  • Play Perreault with Lowry and give him x percentage of Connor's shifts
  • Play Perreault with Scheifele and give him x percentage of Copp's shift
  • on and on
Only PoMo see the jets roster as a static set of lines in game.
Only problem would be Perrault getting injured. Should they do the same thing with Armia?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Only problem would be Perrault getting injured. Should they do the same thing with Armia?
So Perreault is a delicate flower who can only play on the 4th line because he might get injured if he play 4-5 minutes more a game? Where does this stuff come from?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am pretty sure that Maurice had Perreault and Armia penciled into 3rd line roles going into the season, and then Copp-Lowry-Tanev happened. Their play has been instrumental to the team's success, so it's understandable that he's going with them for now, especially since the top two lines haven't been great defensively. Consider this... on average the Lowry line is giving up 1 even-strength goal against every 11 games played (based on GA/60 and ice-time at even strength). Their GF rate is 3x higher than their GA rate. That is simply outstanding, especially considering that they get a lot of hard match-ups and D zone starts.

I think Maurice could and should pare back on the ice-time for the #1 line, and find a better C for Perreault and Armia so that they can play more of a 3a / 3b sort of role.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Honest questions here...
Is giving Perrault more ice time really going to benefit the team if his line mates can't handle the extra ice time as well?
Is giving Perrault more ice time really going to benefit the team if his added ice time, on another line, is vs. more skilled opponents or is that offset by better linemates?

Isn't this what most Jets fans wanted anyway, the proverbial "rolling 4 lines with point production from the bottom 6"?
I'm not so sure the #freePerrault movement is going to solve our seemingly bigger systemic problems... defensive play overall leading to too many shots against, PP, PK, penalty taking etc. (a.k.a coaching and systems)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honest questions here...
Is giving Perrault more ice time really going to benefit the team if his line mates can't handle the extra ice time as well?
Is giving Perrault more ice time really going to benefit the team if his added ice time, on another line, is vs. more skilled opponents or is that offset by better linemates?

Isn't this what most Jets fans wanted anyway, the proverbial "rolling 4 lines with point production from the bottom 6"?
I'm not so sure the #freePerrault movement is going to solve our seemingly bigger systemic problems... defensive play overall leading to too many shots against, PP, PK, penalty taking etc. (a.k.a coaching and systems)

Well Armia can handle more ice time while
Hendricks likely can't. I think it's more situational. If we are trailing we should start double shifting top 9 Cs as Perrault scores really well (Armia also scores better than anyone on our third line atm) to generate offense. When we are down and need a goal or two it makes zero sense to underplay one of our best offensive weapons. He got incredibly limited minutes last week in the games where we where trailing a lot and needed some goals. In game management could improve under Maurice. He tends to be too married to certain lines or usage in situations where an adjustment is required. You can still play the third line but in situations where we need a goal id move up Perrault and Armia and move down Copp and Tanev.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Honest questions here...

Perreault tends to push the play to the offensive zone when he's on the ice. He's one of the best drivers on the team. So the more of that, the better.

Reactions: Ducky10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
So Perreault is a delicate flower who can only play on the 4th line because he might get injured if he play 4-5 minutes more a game? Where does this stuff come from?
Okay, question when was the last season where he played all 85 games without being injured?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Honest questions here...

Rolling 4 lines is awesome but the way Perreault has lifted pretty much anyone he plays with in his time as a Jet makes me think they need to be more willing to shuffle him and Connor/Ehlers around when things aren’t going well. Alternatively they could use a NHL quality player as a centre on that line and just play that line more when other lines are having a rough night. Probably the best long-term option, the option to push the team closer to “contender.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad