Are the Leafs really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
It’s still early days but you have to like their chances of being a 100+ point team and first round favourite this year. If injuries hit they are plenty deep as well. Good times boys! Man I’ve waited a long time to be hated again!

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
It’s still early days but you have to like their chances of being a 100+ point team and first round favourite this year. If injuries hit they are plenty deep as well. Good times boys! Man I’ve waited a long time to be hated again!

As much as I love it and am very impressed with their recent play, the old Leaf insecurities come into play. So many times have I seen a Leafs team just not have enough in the tank that I expect it now.

Honestly I can barely believe that we have Matthews. lol.

Reactions: Marshy
Feb 24, 2017
No you're just pretending like everyone knew they were chokers at the exact same time everyone picked them to win a cup. And also pretending they are still the same team.
What about the Chicago win? All luck?
I’m not the one commenting on the quality of Washington or Chicago. I’m commenting on Leafs honks using Washington as a reference point when chances are they’re among those who used to laugh at the Caps as actually good.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
As much as I love it and am very impressed with their recent play, the old Leaf insecurities come into play. So many times have I seen a Leafs team just not have enough in the tank that I expect it now.

Honestly I can barely believe that we have Matthews. lol.

How about Nylander though, his puck control is just so effortless, he can keep the puck away forever until he makes a great play without looking like he's breaking a sweat, and he does it consistently like few others I've seen.

Mar 26, 2010
The Maple Leafs are a young, highly skilled team with more depth than any other team in the NHL.

Now add in the first class brass/management and one of the best coaches in the game Babcock. This Toronto team is the real deal.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And people had the nerve to call us a bubble team before the season. I think we're an odds on favorite to finish first in the East. We're on another level than most teams.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's actually just one massive anamoly. The Winnipeg Jets and the Buffalo Sabres are light years head of us in their rebuilds and we won't sniff the playoffs for 5 years.

One day we might be as good as the Winnipeg Jets.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
How about Nylander though, his puck control is just so effortless, he can keep the puck away forever until he makes a great play without looking like he's breaking a sweat, and he does it consistently like few others I've seen.

Agreed. Marner has his nights too. I haven't been this excited since the Gilmour trade.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
We'll find out if the Leafs are consistent tomorrow, Detroit is a trap game, good teams get those two points.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's actually just one massive anamoly. The Winnipeg Jets and the Buffalo Sabres are light years head of us in their rebuilds and we won't sniff the playoffs for 5 years.

One day we might be as good as the Winnipeg Jets.

Yeah, Buffalo and Winnipeg got so much hype on here.
It really sucks Mike Babcock can't wait to sign in Buffalo.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I’m not the one commenting on the quality of Washington or Chicago. I’m commenting on Leafs honks using Washington as a reference point when chances are they’re among those who used to laugh at the Caps as actually good.

So you admit you're using assumption. The Caps were overwhelming favourits to win the cup last June.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
They have....issues but at the same time, they could win the conference. The first bonus is that the East is open because both the Caps and the Pens (who I thought were the only good teams in it last season) are both weaker. The Bolts are probably the only notably improved team.

Their three issues for me are:

-Really bad at limiting zone entries. I haven't checked the stats on this but it just looks like the neutral zone is wide open for the other team to walk through, they aren't trapping well and it's letting teams like Mtl counter or a team like Wsh use their speed. Their breakout from the defence hasn't been that great but when you have guys like Nylander/Matthews/Kadri, you can just get them to carry the puck in at times.
-Offensive black-holes. Komarov seems to have lost his offensive touch, Martin is a waste of minutes since he doesn't even seem to be hitting or fighting much, Hyman might forecheck but so does Brown and Hyman doesn't make plays, and one of JVR/Bozak will have a good game but the other one will suck in that game. Their PP's numbers are good but it's because of the kids, the dmen really struggle on it.
-Babcock's team selection....this is his one weakness as a coach imo, he's too rigid in his lineups and with giving young players a chance unless they're other-worldly or out of necessity. There's guys not in the lineup that are better than some of what is in the lineup and he's also very slow to adjust lines.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The "Toronto Maple Leafs rules" conspiracy theory lol I have heard of that one....
I loved the argument how the "Fix" was in for Matthews to win the Calder because the NHL loves the Leafs and it's fixed. They did not win a major award for 25 years and had the longest drought of any team, but the NHL loves giving the Leafs awards?...

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I loved the argument how the "Fix" was in for Matthews to win the Calder because the NHL loves the Leafs and it's fixed. They did not win a major award for 25 years and had the longest drought of any team, but the NHL loves giving the Leafs awards?...

RIGHT!! only morons who don't actually follow the history of NHL awards would make such statements lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad