Are the Leafs a paper tiger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They have a great offence, but a lacking defense, and a wildly inconsistent goalie.

I think they're a fringe playoff team, but could they be this latter decade's version of the Capitals, in that they will fall apart when it matters? Or do they need to make a trade to go far this season?

Id love to hear about which goal(s) were Andersens fault last night. I keep hearing people blame him but they are giving up breakaways, one timers in the slot, rebounds, odd man rushes and tips that were post and in.

He made a bunch of tough saves too, the one where Hischier went wide and passed out front to a wide open player in front of the net comes to mind.

The only game they lost they outshot their opponent by 20+ shots. Their main problem is that for 3/4 games so far they've had sub .900 sv% goaltending.

Once that stabilizes they're going to be unquestionably dominant.

Watching that game last night and blaming the goaltending for the reason they lost is insane. You're lying to yourself if you dont think it was team defense and great excecution by Jersey.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Id love to hear about which goal(s) were Andersens fault last night. I keep hearing people blame him but they are giving up breakaways, one timers in the slot, rebounds, odd man rushes and tips that were post and in.

He made a bunch of tough saves too, the one where Hischier went wide and passed out front to a wide open player in front of the net comes to mind.

Watching that game last night and blaming the goaltending for the reason they lost is insane. You're lying to yourself if you dont think it was team defense and great excecution by Jersey.

It's not just last night, even a backup should be expected to deliver a sv% above .900, Andersen hasn't been able to do that since the season opener.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

there was only one goal he wasn't at some fault for.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Score-adjusted Even Strength

59.3cf% (2nd)
59.9xgf% (3rd)
.861sv% (29th)

pretty amazing to be 3-1 with that kind of goaltending, really.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
haha they played terribly last night in 1 game. Anderson had an off night, rookie d men showed their youth, and Devils got the bounces with a hot goalie.

Relax.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know where this "wildly inconsistent goalie" comes from.
In a cap world, you can only pay for so many stars....Leafs are still suffering under the Burke/Nonis regime of two buyouts, a retention and the Horton contract which does affect the performance bonuses.
The defence almost out of necessity includes 2 second year players and 2 rookies.
So unless there is a logical trade that doesn't cost money forward, it quite possible there may not be any trades forthcoming. And that Marleau signing, 6.25m per for 3 years, right or wrong, has limited the Leafs ability to spend the money on defence which many Leaf fans wanted.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
there was only one goal he wasn't at some fault for.

Yeah ok man. Fantasy land in leaf ville.

Was it the tip post and in? Or the tip top corner through a screen? Was it the clear cut breakaway? Was it the rebound on the odd man rush? How about the tic tac toe one timer top corner with the forward left all alone directly in front of the net?

Score-adjusted Even Strength

59.3cf% (2nd)
59.9xgf% (3rd)
.861sv% (29th)

pretty amazing to be 3-1 with that kind of goaltending, really.

You actually believe they arent sacrificing defense while being that dominant offensively?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Inconsistent goalie? Do we forget how good Freddy was after October last year?

Also, we're giving up a crazy amount less of shots/shot attempts compared to last year. This is also against some of the best (purely) offensive teams in the league.

Our defense (for the most part) has been excellent, our Forwards have been ridiculous, and Freddy has been bad.

The Rangers and Devils are "purely offensive" teams? Thats new.

Reactions: dukeofjive

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah ok man. Fantasy land in leaf ville.

Was it the tip post and in? Or the tip top corner through a screen? Was it the clear cut breakaway? Was it the rebound on the odd man rush? How about the tic tac toe one timer top corner with the forward left all alone directly in front of the net?

it was the last one.

the rest of them were all simple saves with better positioning. the kind of saves schneider was making all night.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It seems the only people who are ever surprised by how the Leafs do are Leafs fans.

Yeah our one loss is shocking the hell out of us :rolleyes:

It will be very telling to see how long this thread lasts. "The Oiler's are a one line team" thread was shut down pretty fast but I suspect this one won't be.

Everyone knows our Blueline needs work.

Anyone assuming Freddy is garbage at this point in the season must be new to hockey.

Wicked thread.

Reactions: RayB

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Defense is spotty and obvious question marks in net but the offense will always be there. It's only going to get better.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
i heard the leafs are the only team that's allowed a breakaway this year. confirm?
You not get enough sleep last night? You are really reading WAY to much into posts today. I posted that in defense of Andersen as people were blaming him solely for last night.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You not get enough sleep last night? You are really reading WAY to much into posts today. I posted that in defense of Andersen as people were blaming him solely for last night.

shockingly, goalies do make saves on breakaways most of the time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't understand what your confusion is honestly. Do you not know that goalies can save high quality chances?

I am not confused the only confusion seems to be with leaf fans inability to realize the reason they lost was terrible team defense and good excecution by the opponent. Andersen did make a bunch of difficult saves, he just cant make them all. There were multiple difficult saves he made last night.

The irony of all of this is the worst goal let in by any goalie last night was Schneider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad