Are the Leafs a paper tiger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
They have a great offence, but a lacking defense, and a wildly inconsistent goalie.

I think they're a fringe playoff team, but could they be this latter decade's version of the Capitals, in that they will fall apart when it matters? Or do they need to make a trade to go far this season?

Reactions: Iceman

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Well a brand new well thought out thread. I've never seen this one before!

They are 3-1. They have played 1 bad game. Let's step back from the ledge until some time after October.

A bad game where they still got 50 shots.

They're fine and for the most part Andersen has been fine too. Great in game one and his numbers have dropped the last two but there's been a bunch of random goals that he had no chance on after they bounce of his own defenders, etc.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I expect them to be one of the top teams in the East this season. Looks like the defense needs some help, but they are one of the scarier teams in the league.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Inconsistent goalie? Do we forget how good Freddy was after October last year?

Also, we're giving up a crazy amount less of shots/shot attempts compared to last year. This is also against some of the best (purely) offensive teams in the league.

Our defense (for the most part) has been excellent, our Forwards have been ridiculous, and Freddy has been bad.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Inconsistent goalie? Do we forget how good Freddy was after October last year?

Also, we're giving up a crazy amount less of shots/shot attempts compared to last year. This is also against some of the best (purely) offensive teams in the league.

Our defense (for the most part) has been excellent, our Forwards have been ridiculous, and Freddy has been bad.

But he's had a rough start man! Wildly inconsistent!

If we ignore the way most of these goals are going in off Marner's stick...off a defender's leg...etc.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
But he's had a rough start man! Wildly inconsistent!

If we ignore the way most of these goals are going in off Marner's stick...off a defender's leg...etc.

Haha seriously. He's been bad, but it's not like luck hasn't played a part. Of things I believe the Leafs should be worried about (Rosen, 4th line C), Freddy is pretty far down the list.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Toronto is young and has upside. I think they will be a tough out. The issue is signing all the young players and having cap room. Pens if healthy are the team to beat. But Toronto can be one of the players.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
We're in the 2nd tier of cup contenders after Pittsburgh (Check sports betting sites with their confidence in this team) just need a calm dman like another Hainsey to play with Borgman on the 3rd pair

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Haha seriously. He's been bad, but it's not like luck hasn't played a part. Of things I believe the Leafs should be worried about (Rosen, 4th line C), Freddy is pretty far down the list.

I'm with you. I very much believe a team can win a cup with Andersen...hell...I believe THIS team can win a cup with Andersen.

The defence is the only real thing holding them back. Andersen is not.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
They will not make the playoffs with how attrocious their defense looks. I know Leafs fans believe they will continue scoring 5 goals a game but no team in nhl history can keep that up in todays game. As soon as their players hit slumps they will go on a huge losing streak

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
They will not make the playoffs with how attrocious their defense looks. I know Leafs fans believe they will continue scoring 5 goals a game but no team in nhl history can keep that up in todays game. As soon as their players hit slumps they will go on a huge losing streak

Along the same vein, they aren't going to keep having sub-.900 goaltending and the abysmal play from Gardiner/Rosen/Borgman that we saw last night all season. I know its easy to watch last nights game and think that is the everyday Leafs, but it isn't. That is one of the worst games defensively they've played in a very long time. Gardiner was... something else and Rosen was a complete liability.

You can't be like "small sample size for the good things, but the bad things are true".

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Lmao, the Leafs have one bad game after shooting the lights out in two games plus a third period comeback against the Blackhawks, and now we're being asked if they're a paper tiger? They definitely did suck last night, but that's gonna happen from time to time. The Leafs had 50 shots on goal, it's not like they got dumpstered. The Penguins lost 10 to freaking 1 against the Blackhawks, does anyone feel like standing up and calling the Pens anything other than the current Stanley Cup favourite? Naw, didn't think so.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
LV will not go undefeated

Leafs are not a 81-1 team, you might lose a couple more games so brace yourself.

Reminds me of the sky is falling with Pens after a bad game or Jets after two bad games or Oilers, etc. Teams loaded with talent win games, might not be fully utilized always but that's largely the coaches job to get max from players he has through systems & work ethic.

Relax people, Leafs lost game so what.....were you expecting an undefeated season or what? They are fine....

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
In their one "bad" game the Leafs still had more shots, Corsi, Fenwick, Scoring Chances and High Danger Scoring Chances at 5v5, even after score adjustments. So I think they'll be fine.

It's actually incredible they're 3-1 considering they've gotten a .871 save percentage out of Andersen so far. He needs to pick it up. Though he did start slow last year as well before getting it together, so hopefully that happens again.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The only game they lost they outshot their opponent by 20+ shots. Their main problem is that for 3/4 games so far they've had sub .900 sv% goaltending.

Once that stabilizes they're going to be unquestionably dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->