Are the Leafs a paper tiger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I am not confused the only confusion seems to be with leaf fans inability to realize the reason they lost was terrible team defense and good excecution by the opponent. Andersen did make a bunch of difficult saves, he just cant make them all. There were multiple difficult saves he made last night.
stats say that a league average goalie would have let in 4 goals so he was still below average. And Schneider actually had a harder night and did even better. If you can't look at it as goaltending being the difference I'm not sure what to tell you

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They don't often stop the ones they can't see though which was the case for at least 2 of last night's goals.

actually, they do stop most pucks through traffic. that's what positioning is all about.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am not confused the only confusion seems to be with leaf fans inability to realize the reason they lost was terrible team defense and good excecution by the opponent. Andersen did make a bunch of difficult saves, he just cant make them all. There were multiple difficult saves he made last night.

The irony of all of this is the worst goal let in by any goalie last night was Schneider.

I doubt you can point out more than 1 or 2 tough saves by Andy last night.

meanwhile, schneider made a ton of them.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So the argument is that the team that had more high danger scoring chances than the opponent and lost 6-3 did so because their defense gave up too many chances and not because of goaltending? I find that hard to buy

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
shockingly, goalies do make saves on breakaways most of the time.
Most of the time you say? Interesting. I bet it would be easier if the defense stopped allowing so many of them though. Or maybe you think that last night, while having a 2 man advantage, it's Andersen's fault that Nylander took a shot on his own net....then Gardiner watched while New Jersey buried the rebound?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So the argument is that the team that had more high danger scoring chances than the opponent and lost 6-3 did so because their defense gave up too many chances and not because of goaltending? I find that hard to buy
You should have watched the game then....

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Most of the time you say? Interesting. I bet it would be easier if the defense stopped allowing so many of them though. Or maybe you think that last night, while having a 2 man advantage, it's Andersen's fault that Nylander took a shot on his own net....then Gardiner watched while New Jersey buried the rebound?

yes, most breakaways are saved.

and how many breakaways is this "so many" you say the leafs give up?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
stats say that a league average goalie would have let in 4 goals so he was still below average. And Schneider actually had a harder night and did even better. If you can't look at it as goaltending being the difference I'm not sure what to tell you

Not every shot is the same you cant just say the league average its like you are ignoring what happened in the actual game, they gave up 10 bell chances all night. The announcers literally said 'every chance they are giving up is a high end scoring chance'. The leafs gave up 3 breakaways Andersen stopped two of them. Andersen also stopped a point blank shot where johanson beat the d and passed to Henrique breaking in.

The only bad goal let in by either goalie was JVR's where Schneider was cheating. Schneider played well and everything no doubt but to blame the goaltending last night given how many high quality scoring chances were given up is ignoring the actual problem. Doesnt mean the leafs are bad, they are the most dangerous team in the NHL offensively in my opinion but when thats the case you are sacrificing defense. No team is perfect, and to me the issue last night certainly wasnt goaltending.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They have a great offence, but a lacking defense, and a wildly inconsistent goalie.

I think they're a fringe playoff team, but could they be this latter decade's version of the Capitals, in that they will fall apart when it matters? Or do they need to make a trade to go far this season?

They are quite capable of winning high scoring games, but in the playoffs when scores tend to be lower and tighter this will be the acid test. So for me they are not true contenders not until they can show me they can win 1-0, 2-1 or even 3-2 games. High event teams at both ends of the ice are unpredictable, and is probably a less sustainable style for overall success.

Reactions: JMcLeaf

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I doubt you can point out more than 1 or 2 tough saves by Andy last night.

meanwhile, schneider made a ton of them.

Luckily I already did that in my previous post. If you want to borrow my Rogers game center password you can go watch the condensed game its only 7 minutes and 46 seconds long. However based on the narrative in this thread I think reality will not be addressed only advanced stats and league averages will be discussed.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Freddy wasn't that bad. Devils kept him blind with traffic and we did not clear it. A couple times our D just stood and watched. We still aren't a great team without the puck, we at generally great at keeping it once we have it though.

Last night demonstrated why we need a Tanev type.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Luckily I already did that in my previous post. If you want to borrow my Rogers game center password you can go watch the condensed game its only 7 minutes and 46 seconds long. However based on the narrative in this thread I think reality will not be addressed only advanced stats and league averages will be discussed.

you named 1 in that post.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not every shot is the same you cant just say the league average its like you are ignoring what happened in the actual game, they gave up 10 bell chances all night. The announcers literally said 'every chance they are giving up is a high end scoring chance'. The leafs gave up 3 breakaways Andersen stopped two of them. Andersen also stopped a point blank shot where johanson beat the d and passed to Henrique breaking in.

The only bad goal let in by either goalie was JVR's where Schneider was cheating. Schneider played well and everything no doubt but to blame the goaltending last night given how many high quality scoring chances were given up is ignoring the actual problem. Doesnt mean the leafs are bad, they are the most dangerous team in the NHL offensively in my opinion but when thats the case you are sacrificing defense. No team is perfect, and to me the issue last night certainly wasnt goaltending.
Citing Romanuk as evidence of anything is a pretty big mistake. He also said Rosen had a good night. The fact of the matter remains that even though the Leafs gave up some high danger chances, the Devils gave up more. Their goalie made the saves, ours didn't

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Lmao, the Leafs have one bad game after shooting the lights out in two games plus a third period comeback against the Blackhawks, and now we're being asked if they're a paper tiger? They definitely did suck last night, but that's gonna happen from time to time. The Leafs had 50 shots on goal, it's not like they got dumpstered. The Penguins lost 10 to freaking 1 against the Blackhawks, does anyone feel like standing up and calling the Pens anything other than the current Stanley Cup favourite? Naw, didn't think so.
To be fair Pittsburgh is the two time defending champion, not much to prove other than staying healthy to try and 3-peat. They have a proven track record that they can win with their defense. Leafs are still trying to prove themselves. I think they will in due time but that's the reason why people question the Leafs defense.

I think the Leafs are crazy talented and a future cup winner but i don't see it this year. It takes a high level of consistency through a grueling 82 game season and 4 rounds of playoffs to win a cup, and such a young team typically doesn't have that mental strength and consistency to do that yet. I think they'll have a great season but lose in the second round to a team like Tampa. With that experience they come back next year with a real go at the cup.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
They are quite capable of winning high scoring games, but in the playoffs when scores tend to be lower and tighter this will be the acid test. So for me they are not true contenders not until they can show me they can win 1-0, 2-1 or even 3-2 games. High event teams at both ends of the ice are unpredictable, and is probably a less sustainable style for overall success.

Gosh if only they had scored 4 fewer goals against Winnipeg to win 3-2 instead, then they'd have the look of a true contender.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
you named 1 in that post.

Uhhhh

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Citing Romanuk as evidence of anything is a pretty big mistake. He also said Rosen had a good night. The fact of the matter remains that even though the Leafs gave up some high danger chances, the Devils gave up more. Their goalie made the saves, ours didn't

It was Millen.

Listen just go watch the game recap. Schneider made more saves yes but the chances given up by Toronto were very high quality. Jersey also had great excecution better than Torontos last night. Wont always be like that, Toronto would likely beat Jersey over 7 games but lets not pretend the events that occured last night didnt happen. There is video of it, its pretty hard to deny but you guys are doing a great job so far.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
yes, most breakaways are saved.

and how many breakaways is this "so many" you say the leafs give up?
Without even thinking hard....the one i mentioned, and Wood's second goal....

But what the Hell....lets do this:

1st Jersey goal, 4 guys in front and it's tipped=Andersen's fault.

2nd Jersey goal, Rosen and Borgman watch Wood skate on by for a breakaway=Andersen's fault

3rd Jersey goal, Zacha totally uncovered in the slot=Andersen's fault

4th Jersey goal, 2 man advantage...shot on own net (Nylander), blown coverage on rebound (Gardiner)=Andersen's fault

5th Jersey goal, perfect pass by Rosen to the open Jersey player who puts it in off the post (Rosen plays for us by the way)=Andersen's fault

6th Jersey goal, Kadri loses the faceoff....lets the player go to the net who tips in another one=Andersen's fault.

Ya, Schnieder had a great game....no doubt, but to say we had any chance of winning that game with the way the entire team played defensively is laughable.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

2nd Jersey goal, Rosen and Borgman watch Wood skate on by for a breakaway=Andersen's fault

4th Jersey goal, 2 man advantage...shot on own net (Nylander), blown coverage on rebound (Gardiner)=Andersen's fault

5th Jersey goal, perfect pass by Rosen to the open Jersey player who puts it in off the post (Rosen plays for us by the way)=Andersen's fault

6th Jersey goal, Kadri loses the faceoff....lets the player go to the net who tips in another one=Andersen's fault.

Ya, Schnieder had a great game....no doubt, but to say we had any chance of winning that game with the way the entire team played defensively is laughable.

You did watch the game!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

yes, aside from goal #3, the rest were all simple saves with better positioning.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
three breakaways? are you just making things up now?

Henrique and Wood both had clear cut breakaways. Then Henrique had a semi breakaway on the 3 on 5 where Gibbons scored on the rebound. Henrique also had a point blank chance from Johansson this is just off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->