Rumor: Are Sharks interested in Malkin?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If Malkin is available, and is willing to move to any west coast team (No way Pitt is willing to have Crosby meet Malkin every postseason), the teams most interested would be:

• Edmonton- Want an elite center, need size, need to get to the playoffs
  • St. Louis- lack a franchise forward, need a shake up, want a shakeup
  • Anaheim- Want depth down the middle
  • SJ- Need a shake up and playoffs monster, pushed window open for 7 years (likely 3 being additional past current core)
  • Winnipeg- Need to make playoffs, lack quality center depth
  • Nashville- Have needed a franchise player for their entire history

• Nashville has Weber as a centerpiece, but I don't think they can make another package outside of him.
  • Anaheim has Perry, but if they don't want to trade him, they don't have a collection of assets worth Malkin. Fowler/Lindholm are really good pieces, but Pitt pretty much already has one of each in Letang and Maata. They don't have a #2 center, or #1 wing to send back.
  • St. Louis- Chock full of good offensive pieces, also have Shattenkirk or Pietro. I think they'd offer the most- but would they be the right pieces?
  • Winnipeg- Malkin brings the added benefit of likely being able to get Burmi back. They have Kane is a high-end young first line winger or playoff beast Andrew Ladd, and either Scheifele or Little as the #2 center. Four valuable d-men in Trouba, Enstrom, Bogosian, and Byfuglien. Also have a high first and a few good quality prospects.
  • Edmonton- RNH+Eberle easily goes for Malkin, but what else does Edmonton offer- 3rd overall, 2015 1st, Srivens, one of their much needed defensive pieces?
  • San Jose- Have the best replacement center in Pavelski/Couture, and one of the better wingers in Burns/Hertl/Marleau, good secondary winger Nieto/Wingels, and adequate young pieces: Mueller, 1st, Tierney/Hamilton.

Ultimately, Pitt would be stupid to trade Malkin, but if they did, despite our depth at Center, San Jose would have to consider him. From a long-term perspective you have Malkin-Pavelski-Tierney/Hamilton/FA down the middle, which is worlds better than even Couture-Pavelski-Tierney/Hamilton, it also means you can immediately move Thornton for defensive help/cap space. I like Couture, but I am not sure that he, even with Pavs, can anchor an elite team.

For the same reason, If Carolina is re-building I'd be open to using Couture to get after Eric Staal, another proven playoff performer.

Jul 10, 2010
The guy who covers the penguins said on TSN if Malkin was asked to waive his NMC he'd likely just go back to Russia

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
If Malkin is available, and is willing to move to any west coast team (No way Pitt is willing to have Crosby meet Malkin every postseason), the teams most interested would be:

• SJ- Need a shake up and playoffs monster, pushed window open for 7 years (likely 3 being additional past current core)

Meh. The fans/media say we need better playoff performers every year, and every year the Sharks try and address it. Cue Handzus. Cue Havlat. Cue Burish. Cue Winnik. Cue Niemenen. Cue Wallin. Cue Huskins. They are all much worse with the Sharks than they were with their previous teams. Then, the non-geriatrics are much better when they leave (Winnik, McGinn, even Handzus).

Simply put, the Sharks have acquired a lot of players that have historically been praised as playoff performers with other teams, and then they stink with the Sharks. In the end, it's just about never worked out. Maybe Blake and Boyle. This is one of those areas where you have to look somewhere other than the players and evaluate the Sharks' roster strategy and offensive system.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
Vaguely interested in Letang, but wouldn't overpay, and no interest in Neal. On top of being one of the biggest pieces of **** in the NHL, Neal was the real problem with the Pens this post season. Not Malkin or even Crosby.

I'm trying to think of who is the stupidest or same level stupidity player then James Neal right now in the NHL, and I can only come up with Dan Carcillo and Max Lappierre

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Pittsburgh isn't trading Malkin. They just made him their highest paid player with a contract that hasn't even started yet, after the ownership group instructed the GM to sign Malkin at any cost.

Less than a year from taking a "sign at any cost" approach and offering a massive long term contract, they aren't going to be looking to trade him.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Sounds pretty smart not safe. yeah trade for a guy who doesn't want to play here, great plan.

The report was from Rossi - who by all accounts is like the Kurz of Pittsburgh. I'm not gonna take the bait and run with it, but we're talking about Wilson here. He's afraid to pick up Russians who are in no danger of leaving the NHL. I doubt he'd be remotely interested in Malkin if there's even a hint of truth to this rumor.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Doubt the Sharks are interested/have the available pieces.

Obviously it starts with Couture, then we add. I'm guessing it'd be Couture + Hertl +, but I'd balk at that, assuming the plus was significant.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Pitt doesn't do that trade neither do the Blues. Niskanen will probably get more than 6 million a year.

I actually think his post was well thought out. I completely disagree with you on every count, though I think you're actually a pretty reasonable poster otherwise, especially since you're new here.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Vaguely interested in Letang, but wouldn't overpay, and no interest in Neal. On top of being one of the biggest pieces of **** in the NHL, Neal was the real problem with the Pens this post season. Not Malkin or even Crosby.

Agreed. Ignoring Neal's dirty history, I have zero interest in trading for him. He's not worth even close to the cost, and I think he's terribly overrated and wouldn't come close to 40 goals if he didn't play for the Pens.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Pens fan in peace. Malkin is going no where.

Scuderi and Neal for Pavelski and Burns.

You need a puck moving left defensemen and right wing. Replace the point production from center and move it to right wing. Looking at your lineup surprised you have nobody at rw. Just a bunch of centers and left wings. You get youth Neal is 3 years younger and can replace Pavelski on top pp unit.

What do you say? :)

:biglaugh:

Pavelski > Neal
Burns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scuderi

That's terrible. I'm sorry, but don't post on our boards if you're going to suggest such a terrible trade. Really not trying to make you feel bad, but that proposal was awful.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Don't wish for a team full of offensive D. Look at the Pens - All world on offense and all offensive D. Nobody wants to play defense but yeah, I guess you do need a few.
We need offensive d-men. Vlasic helps out transition game, but is not an offensive d-man in the slightest. Braun is also a good skating shutdown d-man with a limited, but decent offensive game. After that is Demers, who's an alright two-way d-man. After that.... is the abyss. We desperately need an offensive middle paring LHD.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If you think the Habs will give up Subban you're delusional. They'll match any offer we put, and if they don't, we're out like 4 first rounders and a $9 million contract.

Habs match that. Trust me, most people don't realize how important Subban is to the Habs. He literally is the team. I know people will say Price is the backbone, which is fair, since he's been a top 3 goalie all year, but he's not. Subban is. Subban embodies everything we idealize in a hockey player, and he's the perfect marketing tool. No chance any offer sheet goes through, unless it's max term and max $$$$. Even then, I don't know if PK signs it. People don't understand how much he loves Montreal and just how loved he is there.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
DW loves his Russians so I'm sure we'll trade the entire roster for him. :nod: j/k If the Pens and Sharks think a new change in scenery is needed I would hope DW and their GM can make a deal happen.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Are you guys f***ing nuts talking about a center on a team that is stacked with those?

Sharks need a defenseman (probably two) with a strong presence and play making ability. Stubban is a RFA, go make him an offer. Start making offers to RFA and UFA defensemen with those attributes.

Look at all the elite Defensemen in the NHL. Subban, Kieth, Doughty, Karlsson, Weber, Yandle, Green, Pietrangelo, and to a lesser extent Letang, Markov, & OEL. They all play for teams that drafted them. Absolutely no GM in their right mind will trade away an elite Defensemen, and the ones that were dumb enough to let one go via Free Agency (Chara, Suter) or trade (Chara) either missed the playoffs and/or lost their job because of it. The only way we're gonna get our elite Norris caliber defenseman is if we draft one ourselves, which has so far never happened in our 23 year history.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
I would be willing to give up Couture+++ for Malkin. If our two top centers are Malkin and Thornton that's just nuts. But it wouldn't solve our real issue which is defense.

I heard some talk on 550 sportsradio this weekend as well (didn't write anything on it as just talk, like so much going on around hockey right now). I heard the talk of Marleau + Pav's for Malkin/Malkin looking at a possible move to either Sharks or Anaheim or L.A., puts Malkin and Thornton as 1/2 then Couture. So early and whom knows if any talks really going on at all.

Niemi could be part of a pitch for D. Or F/Agency.

Last edited:

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
I heard some talk on 550 sportsradio this weekend as well (didn't write anything on it as just talk, like so much going on around hockey right now). I heard the talk of Marleau + Pav's for Malkin/Malkin looking at a possible move to either Sharks or Anaheim or L.A., puts Malkin and Thornton as 1/2 then Couture. So early and whom knows if any talks really going on at all.

Niemi could be part of a pitch for D. Or F/Agency.

Sharks goals against just went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up :laugh:

And that's just from losing Patty and Pavs.

Now add Malkin's nonexistent defensive play...... and

Hope Malkin is netting 70+ :win:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad