Rumor: Are Sharks interested in Malkin?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I'll throw in Beau Bennett or Gibbons.

Scuderi was the top defensive pair for the PK that was like 90% these playoffs and that's with Fleury/we saw how bad it was for the Pens last 2 years without him. Sharks was like 75% these playoffs towards the bottom. He's use to West Coast hockey.

Move Hertl back to his natural position of center for 2nd or 3rd line.

Marleau - Thornton - Neal
Bennett - Couture - Nieto
Sheppard - Hertl - Wingels

That's sexy and you addressed defense.

Honestly at this point I'm starting to wonder if you are even being serious. You can't possibly think Scuderi has any value to use. We are trying to get rid of Stuart and Hannan, not add their clone.

We need top-4 puck moving offensive minded d-men. We need players who move the puck up the ice quickly and put up points. Our only two consistent top-4 dmen are Vlasic and Braun, neither of which put up many points. Demers is up and down, but he's our ONLY offensive d-man at this point with Boyle leaving.

We need Letang, not Scuderi.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'll throw in Beau Bennett or Gibbons.

Scuderi was the top defensive pair for the PK that was like 90% these playoffs and that's with Fleury/we saw how bad it was for the Pens last 2 years without him. Sharks was like 75% these playoffs towards the bottom. He's use to West Coast hockey.

Move Hertl back to his natural position of center for 2nd or 3rd line.

Marleau - Thornton - Neal
Bennett - Couture - Nieto
Sheppard - Hertl - Wingels

That's sexy and you addressed defense.

If Scuderi's only value is on the PK then we don't need him at all. We've got enough of his type with Stuart and Hannan and those guys will likely not be back next year.

Jux does like Bennett though.

If it were like Bennett+Despres+Neal then maybe

YinzAintBurgh*

Honestly at this point I'm starting to wonder if you are even being serious. You can't possibly think Scuderi has any value to use. We are trying to get rid of Stuart and Hannan, not add their clone.

We need top-4 puck moving offensive minded d-men. We need players who move the puck up the ice quickly and put up points. Our only two consistent top-4 dmen are Vlasic and Braun, neither of which put up many points. Demers is up and down, but he's our ONLY offensive d-man at this point with Boyle leaving.

We need Letang, not Scuderi.

Don't wish for a team full of offensive D. Look at the Pens - All world on offense and all offensive D. Nobody wants to play defense but yeah, I guess you do need a few.

If Scuderi's only value is on the PK then we don't need him at all. We've got enough of his type with Stuart and Hannan and those guys will likely not be back next year.

Jux does like Bennett though.

If it were like Bennett+Despres+Neal then maybe

Done. Bennett and Despres are great young prospects but DB wouldn't even let them see the ice but I would do that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Don't wish for a team full of offensive D. Look at the Pens - All world on offense and all offensive D. Nobody wants to play defense but yeah, I guess you do need a few.

We have Vlasic and Braun. We're fine on the defensive side for a while in the top two pairings.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I really hate James Neal's guts. Puke of a human being.

There is a difference between "offensive defensemen" and "puck-moving defensemen". Braun and Vlasic are both the latter, but you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who would call either the former. Both are excellent defensively.

Done. Bennett and Despres are great young prospects but DB wouldn't even let them see the ice but I would do that.

Pavelski + Burns for Neal + Bennett + Despres is probably fair value-wise. I'd rather cut Burns and Neal out of the deal though.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Was it Wallin who was supposed to be our Scuderi a few years ago?

Nah that was good ol' Husky.

“Kent is a Rob Scuderi-type player. Nobody really knew Scuderi before this year.†–DW

All this talk of captaincy, moving core players and Scuderi is really giving me deja vu.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
$9,500,000 until 2021-2022. Amazing player, but no thanks. Malkin has missed 2 more games than Havlat in the last 5 seasons, with Havlat's "healthy" scratches included. Obviously a much better player and nowhere near the injury hazard Havlat has been in recent history, but the risk is still there.

Contract and player is high risk/reward.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Maybe these friendly Germans can convince Doug Wilson that Russians are A-OK!

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
As tempting as it would be, I'd say no. It doesn't solve San Jose's defensive issues. If we give up offense, we'd have a defensive return.... but what the hell do I know?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
$9,500,000 until 2021-2022. Amazing player, but no thanks. Malkin has missed 2 more games than Havlat in the last 5 seasons, with Havlat's "healthy" scratches included. Obviously a much better player and nowhere near the injury hazard Havlat has been in recent history, but the risk is still there.

Contract and player is high risk/reward.

The Penguins could argue the same thing the other way. Pavelski is older and a poor skater (they do not age well). Burns is also injury prone. Both players are signed long term for a combined ~12 million.

As tempting as it would be, I'd say no. It doesn't solve San Jose's defensive issues. If we give up offense, we'd have a defensive return.... but what the hell do I know?

Sharks could probably trade Thornton for an extra forward + a stud defenseman. Sign another D-man, and then acquire a player like Phaneuf for spare parts...

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF

Agreed. I could see him going to Nashville if he would waive there.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, I don't want Malkin. At all.

However, if he came here, I would certainly start pretending I like the idea.

But it's all in fantasy. He might be traded, but definitely not to San Jose.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Are you guys f***ing nuts talking about a center on a team that is stacked with those?

Sharks need a defenseman (probably two) with a strong presence and play making ability. Stubban is a RFA, go make him an offer. Start making offers to RFA and UFA defensemen with those attributes.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Are you guys f***ing nuts talking about a center on a team that is stacked with those?

Sharks need a defenseman (probably two) with a strong presence and play making ability. Stubban is a RFA, go make him an offer. Start making offers to RFA and UFA defensemen with those attributes.

If you think the Habs will give up Subban you're delusional. They'll match any offer we put, and if they don't, we're out like 4 first rounders and a $9 million contract.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Pens would be crazy to trade Malkin

And they would probably demand pavs+hertl+1st at the very least

No thanks jeff

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco

I agree that the focus should be on defense, but you're dreaming if you actually think the Sharks could land Subban. There's not a chance in hell of that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00