Rumor: Are Sharks interested in Malkin?

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
Kings fan coming in peace with a question for you...

Yesterday on Twitter Kevin Paul DuPont, a Hall of Fame hockey writer from the Boston Globe, was asked if he thought the Penguins were interested in making a big trade this summer. In short, here is his answer.

View attachment 73797

What would you be willing to give up in this deal, if anything at all. Could he be the piece to put you over the top or would he cost so much that there would be regression?
As a Kings fan, I would think the price would be too steep to bring him to LA, but would you guys see this move differently from your points of view?

Last edited:

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Kings fan coming in peace with a question for you...

Yesterday on Twitter Kevin Paul DuPont, a Hall of Fame hockey writer from the Boston Globe, was asked if he thought the Penguins were interested in making a big trade this summer. In short, here is his answer.

View attachment 73797

What would you be willing to give up in this deal, if anything at all. Could he be the piece to put you over the top or would he cost so much that there would be regression?
As a Kings fan, I would think the price would be too steep to bring him to LA, but would you guys see this move differently from your points of view?

I would be willing to give up Couture+++ for Malkin. If our two top centers are Malkin and Thornton that's just nuts. But it wouldn't solve our real issue which is defense.

Last edited:

Ender

Seems like a stretch, but Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski or Couture would have to be the center piece. Thornton and Crosby don't make sense to me. Why have the two top assist men in the league on the same team? Pavelski is too valuable for the team… I'd think it'd be between Marleau or Couture as a center piece. Probably Couture as he's younger and probably seen as more valuable.

I'd give up quite a bit for Malkin, he's a Conn Smythe winner and from a team that used to know how to win. I'm not sure what Pittsburgh would be expecting though, but it could be a steep demand.. Maybe too steep?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I would be willing to give up Couture+++ for Malkin. If our two top centers are Malkin and Thornton that's just nuts.

Honestly I think the Pen's would probably target Pavelski. After a 40/40 season I think he'd be their primary target, plus he can play any forward position.

Also keep in mind Malkin has a massive salary for a very long time. If you trade for Malkin, Thornton is gone, guaranteed.

Pavelski + Burns for Malkin

They get Crosby/Pavelski down the middle and Burns as an affordable winger for Crosby.

Sharks however are left in a quandary. They have a great top-2 centers (Malkin/Couture) but they haven't solved their defense issue and they really now only have Thornton they can afford to move.

IF they could sign Niskanin for say $6mx6, then this trade:

Thornton + Niemi to St. Louis for Shattenkirk, Sobotka's rights, 1st

Then buy out Havlat, trade Stuart/Burish

3rd to Toronto for Reimer

Sign Vrbata for $4.5m

End up with:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.667m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Matt Nieto ($0.759m)
Tomas Hertl ($0.925m) / Logan Couture ($6.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($4.500m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Vladimir Sobotka ($2.500m) / Tommy Wingels ($2.000m)
James Sheppard ($1.500m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
Tyler Kennedy ($2.350m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Matt Niskanen ($6.000m)
Justin Braun ($1.250m) / Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.250m)
Mirco Mueller ($0.894m) / Jason Demers ($2.500m)
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($0.625m)
James Reimer ($1.600m)
BUYOUTS
Martin Havlat ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,556,667; BONUSES: $1,015,833
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $8,543,333

That's a ton of movement. I dunno. I'd love to have Malkin but getting him means we have a lot of dominoes that need to go our way to make it work.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Honestly I think the Pen's would probably target Pavelski. After a 40/40 season I think he'd be their primary target, plus he can play any forward position.

Also keep in mind Malkin has a massive salary for a very long time. If you trade for Malkin, Thornton is gone, guaranteed.

They get Crosby/Pavelski down the middle and Burns as an affordable winger for Crosby.

Sharks however are left in a quandary. They have a great top-2 centers (Malkin/Couture) but they haven't solved their defense issue and they really now only have Thornton they can afford to move.

Sign Vrbata for $4.5m

End up with:

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($0.625m)
James Reimer ($1.600m)
BUYOUTS
Martin Havlat ($0.000m)
------

That's a ton of movement. I dunno. I'd love to have Malkin but getting him means we have a lot of dominoes that need to go our way to make it work.

Pitt doesn't do that trade neither do the Blues. Niskanen will probably get more than 6 million a year.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Pitt doesn't do that trade neither do the Blues. Niskanen will probably get more than 6 million a year.

Love some logic there. They are not going to get two better players than Pavelski + Burns, and both fit their needs to a T. Plus I don't mind throwing in a pick, even a 1st, but I don't generally mess with picks much because it's so pointless. The Pens' want to win now, they are not looking for up and coming for Malkin, they want guys who can step in and solve problems immediately. Burns gives them a high end right wing for Crosby, and Pavelski gives them either an elite left wing or a high end 2nd line center. That's a damn good package for the Pens. If you want to throw in a pick and a prospect fine, but as far as roster players go that's all they are getting.

As for St Louis, if Miller doesn't re-sign (Seems unlikely he will) they already lost out on Halak, they are going to need a guy like Niemi, and Niemi would fit well. They are desperate for a #1 center, and assuming they lose out on Stastny, Thornton is there best bet. It's pretty clear Shattenkirk is on the block, and Sobtka is an RFA. That's not even that great a package for an elite #1 center and a #1 goalie.

But sure, just hand wave it away, don't bother to explain yourself.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Love some logic there. They are not going to get two better players than Pavelski + Burns, and both fit their needs to a T. Plus I don't mind throwing in a pick, even a 1st, but I don't generally mess with picks much because it's so pointless. The Pens' want to win now, they are not looking for up and coming for Malkin, they want guys who can step in and solve problems immediately. Burns gives them a high end right wing for Crosby, and Pavelski gives them either an elite left wing or a high end 2nd line center. That's a damn good package for the Pens. If you want to throw in a pick and a prospect fine, but as far as roster players go that's all they are getting.

As for St Louis, if Miller doesn't re-sign (Seems unlikely he will) they already lost out on Halak, they are going to need a guy like Niemi, and Niemi would fit well. They are desperate for a #1 center, and assuming they lose out on Stastny, Thornton is there best bet. It's pretty clear Shattenkirk is on the block, and Sobtka is an RFA. That's not even that great a package for an elite #1 center and a #1 goalie.

But sure, just hand wave it away, don't bother to explain yourself.

I think the Blues would do Shattenkirk straight up for Thornton but asking them to add is a stretch. If Pitt trades Malkin they aren't going to return better players (obviously) but rather youth and depth. I think Couture+Pavelski would be more what they are asking for. I like your plan I just don't think it's realistic.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Blues have other Center options before giving that up for Joe. Have you tested that offer out? You're putting it out there without any apparent validation is just as much of a hand wave.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As great as Malkin is, you have to ask yourself if DW would really want to trade all the assets required to get him and his 8 year, 76 million dollar contract that starts next season. Considering the issues of this team, I think a player at 9.5 million per might be sort of a long shot to be acquired by this team.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
As great as Malkin is, you have to ask yourself if DW would really want to trade all the assets required to get him and his 8 year, 76 million dollar contract that starts next season. Considering the issues of this team, I think a player at 9.5 million per might be sort of a long shot to be acquired by this team.

Also if we are doing a mini-rebuild or shakeup his age might be a factor he will be 28 (so already in his prime) by the time the season starts.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think the Blues would do Shattenkirk straight up for Thornton but asking them to add is a stretch. If Pitt trades Malkin they aren't going to return better players (obviously) but rather youth and depth. I think Couture+Pavelski would be more what they are asking for. I like your plan I just don't think it's realistic.

Couture + Pavelski devastates us, would make getting Malkin pointless. Thornton is gone in two years no matter what more than likely (either to free agency or simply to age).

The Pen's are not going to get Couture + Pavelski and no other team can match that kind of offer anyway. Again, they are going to want and immediate replacement for Malkin, and an immediately effective winger for Crosby. If they trade Malkin it's because they are done messing around trying to make something work. Burns gives them as good a guarentee at wing as they can get (and his skillset is great with Crosby). Pavelski gives them the best left wing they can likely afford and insurance at center in case that doesn't work out. Seriously, that's a damn good offer and I think you are discounting the Pens needs. Let's say its for instance Pavelski + Burns + Tierney + 1st. That's the absolute max I would offer, and I don't think any other team can afford to match that.

Blues have other Center options before giving that up for Joe. Have you tested that offer out? You're putting it out there without any apparent validation is just as much of a hand wave.

Yah, that's been discussed ad nauseum on the main board for awhile now. They'd rather have Pavelski, but generally Shattenkirk for Thornton is seen as 'fair'. Which is about all you can ask for from this board. Plus Niemi has value and make it Shattenkirk + Sobtka's rights and a 2nd if that makes you feel better.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Pitt would want a Center and a winger coming back. Couture and Burns gone, probably with a first overall. It seems steep but Malkin is a superstar. He tore up these playoffs while Crosby was lacking, his trade value IS that high.

Now would the Sharks do that? Hell nah. We have a lack of winger depth as it is, and moving Burns would severely jeopardize that, moreso than the upgrade of Couture to Malkin.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Sign Vrbata for $4.5m

End up with:

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($0.625m)
James Reimer ($1.600m)
BUYOUTS
Martin Havlat ($0.000m)
------

And then the Sharks would miss the playoffs due to a lack of cohesion among lines and d-pairs. I'm fine with the Sharks moving on from Thornton or whoever but way too much roster turnover.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
And then the Sharks would miss the playoffs due to a lack of cohesion among lines and d-pairs. I'm fine with the Sharks moving on from Thornton or whoever but way too much roster turnover.

Bull.

That team isn't winning a cup next year, but neither is this team more than likely. Any team with Malkin on it is going to make the playoffs. Win a cup? No probably not for exactly the reasons you stated, but I'm fine with that because come 2015/2016 that team is dangerous, and dangerous for a very long time.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Bull.

That team isn't winning a cup next year, but neither is this team more than likely. Any team with Malkin on it is going to make the playoffs. Win a cup? No probably not for exactly the reasons you stated, but I'm fine with that because come 2015/2016 that team is dangerous, and dangerous for a very long time.

You're going to have regression from Nieto and Hertl, breaking in 3 brand new defense pairs including 1 rookie. Going with two new goalies. In the West, you can't afford to get behind early in the standings.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
You're going to have regression from Nieto and Hertl, breaking in 3 brand new defense pairs including 1 rookie. Going with two new goalies. In the West, you can't afford to get behind early in the standings.

Even if your right, I'm fine with that. That's a contending team for another decade and that's worth the small risk of missing the playoffs.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Yah, that's been discussed ad nauseum on the main board for awhile now. They'd rather have Pavelski, but generally Shattenkirk for Thornton is seen as 'fair'. Which is about all you can ask for from this board. Plus Niemi has value and make it Shattenkirk + Sobtka's rights and a 2nd if that makes you feel better.

I went to the Blues board and offered Pavelski or Thornton. For Thornton none agreed to shattenkirk+, only sobotka and rattie.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Even if your right, I'm fine with that. That's a contending team for another decade and that's worth the small risk of missing the playoffs.

Because we aren't flipping the tab for the Sharks. If I'm Plattner and we trade for a guy making nearly $10 mil a year that I'm paying, I expect the playoffs.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I went to the Blues board and offered Pavelski or Thornton. For Thornton none agreed to shattenkirk+, only sobotka and rattie.

A) Fans are generally not only wrong, they are badly wrong.

B) Several of them agreed to it before, but what's it matter, you could ask 10 people and get 10 different answers.

Because we aren't flipping the tab for the Sharks. If I'm Plattner and we trade for a guy making nearly $10 mil a year that I'm paying, I expect the playoffs.

I still think that team makes the playoffs.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Dupont's a class A moron with a hate-on for Thornton. He knows less than nothing about the Sharks. It's fun to discuss trading for Malkin, but let's not do it under Dupont's lead. :laugh:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

This team has done absolutely nothing to protect them from roster turnover.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Seriously, seriously doubt Malkin is getting traded. Sorry guys.

Letang? Neal?

Vaguely interested in Letang, but wouldn't overpay, and no interest in Neal. On top of being one of the biggest pieces of **** in the NHL, Neal was the real problem with the Pens this post season. Not Malkin or even Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00