Are McDavid, Drai, MacKinnon, Panarin, & Kucherov the undisputed top-5 players in today's league?

Is this undisputed?

• Total voters

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Ok what are your undisputed top 5.

"My" undisputed top 5. That's not really how "undisputed" works. I mean, if I'm the only one voting, then sure my top 5 is undisputed, but generally when you say undisputed, it means those polled all agree, so I can't really name an undisputed top 5. Nobody can. It would require everyone, or at least close to it, to agree.

I think I've seen one person disagree with McDavid so far, and nobody disagrees with Mack, so I'd say those are the only "undisputed". Because nobody really disputes them.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I'm not sure what you understand what sample size means. You might want to read a statistics textbook, and about anomalies, and things normalizing, how to establish statistical significance, etc.

Really Joe. Stop trying to sound intelligent. It is not working well. I understand what sample size is, although you clearly dont since you dont think 15 years of Ovy and Sid is a substantial sample size....

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Really Joe. Stop trying to sound intelligent. It is not working well. I understand what sample size is, although you clearly dont since you dont think 15 years of Ovy and Sid is a substantial sample size....
It absolutely is enough to establish scoring rates......

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Ok remove undisputed, what are your top 5.
After McD, Mack, and Hedman? I don't really have any certainties after that either. I think most likely Kucherov would be in there, but he's not in stone for me. His skill level is off the charts and he adds some feistiness and competitiveness. i think Crosby and Malkin could be considered. I'd even consider Bergeron, if looking at the last few years, but he's old, so I doubt going forward. He puts up solid point totals, not really up there with these other guys but still great, and is the best two way forward in the NHL. I can't think of any Dmen other than Hedman right now, and i don't really think I'd mix goalies in there. I don't really think Panarin is top 5, but he deserves mention. Matthews is more 7 to 10 for me, with his combination of goal scoring and solid all around play. Eichel not too far behind. Things get pretty foggy pretty quickly once you get past the top few players. Lots of different opinions.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There is a large and equal sample size. And Ovy has more primary points. Therefore Ovy is the better Primary point producer.
There is not an equal sample size. That's the whole point. Ovechkin has more games, which is the only reason he has more raw primary points. Crosby is still the better primary point producer. He produces primary points better than Ovechkin. How many games somebody played as the best primary point producer is fairly irrelevant, as long as we have a representative sample.
You are argueing the same as people that say Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league
He is, but that's besides the point.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There is not an equal sample size. That's the whole point. Ovechkin has more games, which is the only reason he has more raw primary points. Crosby is still the better primary point producer. He produces primary points better than Ovechkin. How many games somebody played as the best primary point producer is fairly irrelevant, as long as we have a representative sample.

He is, but that's besides the point.

Ya 15 years what a bad sample size, injuries happen for all players.
NHL record books aren’t based on pace.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Ya 15 years what a bad sample size, injuries happen for all players.
NHL record books aren’t based on pace.
The sample size is not bad, but the sample is unequal, so you can't base your conclusions on raw totals.
We're not talking about NHL record books. We're talking about the better primary point producer, which is Crosby.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The sample size is not bad, but the sample is unequal, so you can't base your conclusions on raw totals.
We're not talking about NHL record books. We're talking about the better primary point producer, which is Crosby.

Yep if we’re taking about pace, but I’ll take the one on the ice more, and with most of his primary points being goals.

Your logic says you take Marner over Mathews then, since Marner has more primary points.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Your logic says you take Marner over Mathews then, since Marner has more primary points.
Not sure what you mean, because Marner is not a better primary point producer than Matthews... I also didn't say anything about ranking players or only looking at primary points. This is solely about the fact that Crosby is a better primary point producer than Ovechkin, which was a response to an Ovechkin fan somehow attempting to use secondary assists against Crosby, despite him being the best primary point producer in his generation...

Reactions: sanscosm

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not sure what you mean, because Marner is not a better primary point producer than Matthews... I also didn't say anything about ranking players or only looking at primary points. This is solely about the fact that Crosby is a better primary point producer than Ovechkin, which was a response to an Ovechkin fan somehow attempting to use secondary assists against Crosby, despite him being the best primary point producer in his generation...

Last 2 years
125 Matthews
126 Marner

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Last 2 years
125 Matthews
126 Marner
They both have 126 primary points over the past 2 years, and Marner played more games. So no, Matthews is still higher per-game over your chosen time-frame, though again, this really has nothing to do with the previous discussion.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They both have 126 primary points over the past 2 years, and Marner played more games. So no, Matthews is still higher per-game over your chosen time-frame, though again, this really has nothing to do with the previous discussion.

Which also had nothing to do with OP’s topic.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Which also had nothing to do with OP’s topic.
It's already been explained to you how that discussion evolved, and if you dislike the discussion, I'm not sure why you're choosing to extend it, especially with incorrect, irrelevant claims.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's already been explained to you how that discussion evolved, and if you dislike the discussion, I'm not sure why you're choosing to extend it, especially with incorrect, irrelevant claims.

Guess you didn’t get the hint, about stop the discussion on primary points then and get back on point then twice.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Guess you didn’t get the hint, about stop the discussion on primary points then and get back on point then twice.
You were literally part of the discussion on primary points, and it would be over right now if you hadn't brought up unrelated, false claims regarding Matthews/Marner. Methodology is rather important in a discussion about evaluating players. If we are only going by the exact wording of the thread question itself, it has a rather obvious and straightforward answer, with little room for discussion. Whether or not these are the top-5 players, these are factually not the undisputed top-5 players. "Undisputed" is a strong word, and extremely rare on HF.

Reactions: sanscosm

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The only undisputed guy here is Mackinnon.

McDavid gets outscored half the time, same for Draisaitl. Kucherov is just not super impressive if he isn't scoring 100+ pts, is he clearly better than Pastrnak? Panarin was absolutely a MVP caliber player last year, but he'll need to keep doing it to get respect.

I can’t believe people are starting to catch onto this awful hot take that MacKinnon is better than McDavid.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I can’t believe people are starting to catch onto this awful hot take that MacKinnon is better than McDavid.

Yeah it's stupid. But considering 10 years ago people were saying Toews > Crosby - in comparison, at least this one isn't nearly as bad.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah it's stupid. But considering 10 years ago people were saying Toews > Crosby - in comparison, at least this one isn't nearly as bad.

And people started suggesting it after the playoffs because MacKinnon had a great playoffs. So did McDavid. Is it his fault he played a lot less playoff games?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
And people started suggesting it after the playoffs because MacKinnon had a great playoffs. So did McDavid. Is it his fault he played a lot less playoff games?
its TSN.

Toronto Sports Network.

McDavid does not play for the Leafs.

So by default, they will find reasons not to declare him the best player in the game. Anyone but 97.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
its TSN.

Toronto Sports Network.

McDavid does not play for the Leafs.

So by default, they will find reasons not to declare him the best player in the game. Anyone but 97.
That makes no sense. Or theyd do the same for mackinnon. Neither play for the leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad