Are McDavid, Drai, MacKinnon, Panarin, & Kucherov the undisputed top-5 players in today's league?

Is this undisputed?

• Total voters

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Simply put, are these 5 the new guard or 'kings' of the NHL? Are there other contenders for their spots? Or is this undisputed?

My rankings for them would be:
  1. Connor McDavid
  2. Leon Draisaitl
  3. Nikita Kucherov
  4. Nathan MacKinnon
  5. Artemi Panarin
To me, this seems like the new era of the NHL with these 5 being in the mix for awards for multiple seasons. 3 of them have won the MVP. All 5 have been finalists for the Hart/Ted and have top-5 finishes for the Ross. Does this seem like the new cream of the crop of the NHL? Are they going to run the NHL for years to come?

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McDavid and MacKinnon are definitely in that top 5. The other three are in contention, but I think at least two of them wouldn't be in my top 5.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I take Hedman over any of them for the upcoming season(yes that includes McDavid) but then again I always believein the importance of great defencemen over forwards. My view is that forwards are easier to replace with a solid top 6 and a couple of "semi great" ones, a true 1dman is essential.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
McDavid, Mackinnon, Kuch are yes.

Panarin is close but I’m not convinced 100% for him and drai
How has MacKinnon convinced you but not Draisaitl?

Last 2 seasons:

MacKinnon

• Point finishes (7, 5)
  • P/GP finishes (9, 5)
  • Hart Voting finishes (6, 2)
  • Goal finishes (6, 9)
  • G/PG finishes (0)
  • #5 in points (192 points in 151 games)
  • #6 in PPG (1.27)
  • #6 in goals (76)
  • #10 in assists (116)
Draisaitl
  • Point finishes (4, 1)
  • P/GP finishes (4, 1)
  • Hart Voting finishes (1)
  • Goal finishes (2, 4)
  • G/PG finishes (2, 5)
  • Ted Lindsay
  • #1 in points (215 P in 153 games)
  • #3 in PPG (1.41)
  • #2 in goals (93)
  • #4 in assists (122)
Draisaitl has completely outclassed MacKinnon in the last 2 years in every statistical category. Draisaitl's Hart voting isn't too great outside his win because he has to share with another great player in McDavid whereas MacKinnon is getting them all to himself.

If you want to bring up playoffs, yes MacK was great but Drai wasn't terrible either. He had 6 P in 4 games, which is about the same as his RS PPG (1.5 - 1.54)

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hmmm. I’m not sure how anyone could put Drai above McKinnon even with his great last season.
I’d have it:
McDavid
McKinnon
Those are the clear top two.

Then the next 3:
Hedman
Kucherov
Drai

Reactions: Garthinater

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
The only thing that is undisputed is McDavid at #1. I'd have Kucherov 2nd, Draisaitl 3rd, MacK 4th and probably Kane 5th. If Panarin comes close to repeating last season then he is top 5. But I think most people would say he's the odd one out.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The only thing that is undisputed is McDavid at #1. I'd have Kucherov 2nd, Draisaitl 3rd, MacK 4th and probably Kane 5th. If Panarin comes close to repeating last season then he is top 5. But I think most people would say he's the odd one out.
How is kane top 10 let alone 5th?

Crosby is 5th for me, but guys like panarin, malkin, pasta, matthews and eichel are clear ahead of kane at this point

Reactions: authentic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, way too much is up for debate. I personally think Hedman is more valuable to the Lightning than Kucherov is.

Is there an argument that these guys are the top 5 players in the league? Absolutely. But, it is far from indisputable.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
How is kane top 10 let alone 5th?

Crosby is 5th for me, but guys like panarin, malkin, pasta, matthews and eichel are clear ahead of kane at this point

Crosby was injured last season, was terrible in 17/18 and was terrible the last 2 playoffs so that's not top 5 for me.

Kane has out produced Matthews and Eichel every year. None of them bring much outside of offense so it's pretty simple to see who is better.

Panarin and Pastrnak have had 1 season better than Kane. Track record matters to me (I'm guessing it does for you too if you have Crosby top 5).

Malkin, no. He was playing better than Kane this season, but he missed too many games. Last season Kane was way better. Again, neither guy does much outside of offense.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Panarin's gotta repeat this past season. The other's certainly have multiple seasons of evidence in their favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad