Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Can those of you that are knowledgeable about how to protect your phone and such please advise me on how to do so? I would even be willing to switch phones if you thought that would help. Thanks.

Do you mean physically protect your phone or software/hacking protect your phone?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Do you mean physically protect your phone or software/hacking protect your phone?

All of the above. I’m not a worrier but if I can make a sound, sensible investment or 2 to protect myself from unknown threats, I would. I just know nothing about anything about cyber security, it’s threat, importance, capabilities, etc. I’m ignorant and need guidance.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
All of the above. I’m not a worrier but if I can make a sound, sensible investment or 2 to protect myself from unknown threats, I would. I just know nothing about anything about cyber security, it’s threat, importance, capabilities, etc. I’m ignorant and need guidance.

Physically - Buy a nice case. Otterbox makes a nice case. Personally I use a leather case from Apple.

Software - Don't be stupid and download dangerous apps. Just make sure you do your due diligence when downloading things or going to websites.

You are 100% a worrier and there is nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don’t do anything uncouth online, and only download from itunes.

You are right that I am a worrier and that comes from having haters. I will still be happy and do what I want, but I want to be as smart as I can too. A tough balance but that’s where I benefit from other people’s help, when you can tell me optimum solutions in what phone to buy and what software to get to be most protected so I can have additional peace of mind if nothing else.

Phone is all personal preference. I believe the safest phone is a Blackberry but I could be wrong and I am a blackberry fan. I personally use an iPhone X and love it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I have an older Iphone, 7 I believe. Does having an older one make you more vulnerable, is there a security software I can download?

Your phone is fine. Don't worry about it being vulnerable. Have a good lock code to physically protect your data in case of theft/losing it. Make sure you don't download garbage apps, just look for ratings. Don't click on any popups you have come up in your browser. That should be about all you need to do CS.

Having an older phone doesn't matter. My daughter has the iPhone 7.

You shouldn't have any issues as long as you don't click on a bunch of junk that pops up.

All phones/browsers get popups for ads, and some are definitely hacks/scams, so just make it a point to not click on any of that stuff.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Your phone is fine. Don't worry about it being vulnerable. Have a good lock code to physically protect your data in case of theft/losing it. Make sure you don't download garbage apps, just look for ratings. Don't click on any popups you have come up in your browser. That should be about all you need to do CS.

Having an older phone doesn't matter. My daughter has the iPhone 7.

You shouldn't have any issues as long as you don't click on a bunch of junk that pops up.

All phones/browsers get popups for ads, and some are definitely hacks/scams, so just make it a point to not click on any of that stuff.

What are your thoughts on Lifelock?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I don't use it. Most these services are borderline scams in and of themselves, IMO. It's like car insurance or health insurance, etc. You pay for it for years and years and years, and never use it. Occasionally you might have to, but it's a rarity.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Alright, maybe there is nothing to worry about. My life is simple and there isn’t any money to be had anyway I guess.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What spooked you? If you don't mind me asking.

A red pop up that comes up from trying to go here that says they are trying to “phish” you that I read was commonplace online. And the amazon redirections saying I “won” and all of the other bull crap that I experience just here.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
A red pop up that comes up from trying to go here that says they are trying to “phish” you that I read was commonplace online. And the amazon redirections saying I “won” and all of the other bull crap that I experience just here.

Yeah, just don't click on any of it. Nothing can happen if you don't click any of them.

If you get like the Amazon or FB redirects, just close your browser and reopen it. Buy/download a good popup blocker from the app store, and it should resolve most of that.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

I don’t know about lifelock itself, but I think it’s a good idea to pay for credit monitoring. If anyone applies for credit in my name/ssn, the credit agencies notify the bank to call me directly to confirm/deny that it’s me. I bought it after someone filed a fake tax return in my name, and it’s for sure saved me headaches.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don’t know about lifelock itself, but I think it’s a good idea to pay for credit monitoring. If anyone applies for credit in my name/ssn, the credit agencies notify the bank to call me directly to confirm/deny that it’s me. I bought it after someone filed a fake tax return in my name, and it’s for sure saved me headaches.

Good idea to monitor your credit, in general. Don't necessarily need to pay for a service to do it, though.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Good idea to monitor your credit, in general. Don't necessarily need to pay for a service to do it, though.

Perhaps monitoring wasn’t the right word. I agree people should check their credit reports. What I’m describing is taking the extra step to prevent the fraud before it happens.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Snorkeling turning out to be a pricey excursion.

$100 pp but then I had to buy gear +$40 then I need reef safe sunscreen +$20 and a rash guard +$30

But I'm not going to be that jerk destroying the reef.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad