Anyone else find the Tampa series and the pittsburgh series very ho hum

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
lol people still whining about trapping. You know they took the 2 line pass rule out right? It's called playing defense. Islanders also dominated forchecking all night.

So playing sound defense+forecheck == trap?????

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
From what I saw of the Tampa and Pittsburgh series, it did seem like boring hockey. I didn't attribute it to a system so much as just think, "Wow, Tampa and Pittsburgh look lifeless and awful."

Definitely didn't have a playoff vibe for me.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This is such a common mistake people make. The isles don’t play the trap. They play a 1-2-2 with the F1 going in hard on the forecheck and eventually getting support. They never want to be out numbered in the neutral zone so their F2 and F3 are always conscious of the transition and ready to pressure the puck carrier while the defense protects the blue line.

For the most part it seems like the Islanders game plan(in the defensive zone) is don't let teams get a chance to shoot the puck from the middle of the ice, keep them to the outside.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
For the most part it seems like the Islanders game plan(in the defensive zone) is don't let teams get a chance to shoot the puck from the middle of the ice, keep them to the outside.

Absolutely. They collapse to the middle and try to keep the shots from the perimeter

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Absolutely. They collapse to the middle and try to keep the shots from the perimeter
And they did such an incredible job at that. Penguins had no answer whatsoever.

Truthfully, I have nothing but praise for NYI and I hope they make it to the Conference Finals at least.

It'll be disappointing if they get decimated in round 2.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
People who didn’t like the outcome = boring

Anyone who watched = exciting

The atmosphere at Nassau was explosive, and in a few of those games they were trading goals quickly. Was very intense.

A game seven in OT would be more thrilling, but Tampa and Pittsburgh were too weak to give the fans that sort of drama.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
People who didn’t like the outcome = boring

Anyone who watched = exciting

The atmosphere at Nassau was explosive, and in a few of those games they were trading goals quickly. Was very intense.

A game seven in OT would be more thrilling, but Tampa and Pittsburgh were too weak to give the fans that sort of drama.
Last nights game wasn't too exciting and I was watching it. It reminded me of a typical Isles regular season game that was just a tight checking match with no team really trying much due to the possibility of defensive lapses. The first game wasn't too bad except for a few iffy calls leading to some suspect PPs.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
For those that say the Isles play boring hockey...

"High-danger chances were in the Isles’ favor, 42-37, according to Natural Stat Trick, and no team thus far in the playoffs has had more." - The Athletic.

"— Winning the skill battle. Hard to imagine, isn’t it, that in a series with three, perhaps four, surefire Hall of Fame players in black and yellow that it was the Islanders’ high-end players who stood out.
Eberle of course was the star, with a goal in each game, including the two in Games 3 and 4 that came on the heels of the Penguins’ opening goals. Brock Nelson scored the winner in each of the last two games and had three goals total. Josh Bailey had three goals, as well, despite he and Nelson getting caved in on shot metrics at even strength.
And let’s not forget Mathew Barzal, who had five assists in the four games and was Eberle’s set-up man all series long. Barzal had room to operate against the Pens’ less-than-mobile defense corps and less-than-committed forwards, and the Isles star center excelled with the puck on his stick.
Compare those lesser names with Crosby, who somehow rang the tying goal off the post in the second period with Robin Lehner looking the wrong way. Crosby finished with a lone assist, his worst playoff total in 12 playoff appearances — he’d never finished a postseason with fewer than four points, in fact."

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I guarantee you OP watched the Pittsburgh series and just assumed CBJ/Tampa was the same because of the same result. It was very fun to watch and CBJ played lights out hockey to the point where Tampa never had an answer.

Reactions: LoveCBJ

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I was very surprised by the play of the Isles - very impressed. They had home ice and they honestly looked like the better squad whenever I watched. And I didn't find the Pens to be unimpressive, I just thought the Isles played really well.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
It was literally the complete opposite of the trap. It was getting pucks in deep and chasing their hearts out.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Underdog beats "more skilled team" = they played boring hockey.

No, the CBJ were on top of Tampa on every inch of the ice. If you beat Boston, you will see what we're talking about ;)

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'm an Islander fan who says this teams style of play is boring. They don't play a trap though. Since they are winning how can you complain?
They have sacrificed some offense for top defense and received terrific goaltending all year long.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
NYI and Columbus played boring hockey (gotta love trapping) and won...big ol meh from me they were boring games to watch...start to finish

Ps I’m a leafs fan so absolutely no bias here luckily (or I’d get roasted alive lol)

The Blue Jackets are playing the trap? I only watched bits and pieces of those games, but I never saw them trapping at all. How did I miss that?

Reactions: Nordique

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad