Anyone else find the Tampa series and the pittsburgh series very ho hum

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Not going to comment on the Pens/Isles series because right now it stings and I’ll have serious bias. So just going to slide that to the side for the time being for a day or two...

But I watched games out of the Jackets and Bolts series, the Jackets flat out came to play. And It was entertaining so I have no idea what the OP is about with that series.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I could be wrong, but doesn't the winner of the Boston/Toronto series play the CBJ?

There will be shot blocking, perimeter pushing, trapping, net front battles basically all the most frustrating things you could imagine as a Leafs fan.

That's what we're in for if we win.
Would be nice to watch Jones at least.

East is looking pretty wide open. Obviously everyone wants the Bruins to take us out but how many people are rooting for the Canes? I know I am.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There will be shot blocking, perimeter pushing, trapping, net front battles basically all the most frustrating things you could imagine as a Leafs fan.

That's what we're in for if we win.

Those are some of the things I look forward to watching every playoffs. I'm sorry your team was built in a way that you can't share that appreciation.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He is a leafs fan. They dont give a crap about defense
2nd best goal differential = don't care about defense.

Is this where I say Canuck fans don't care about the truth? I won't because I would not put down an entire fan base. I'll just laugh at your post instead. Hope it got you lots of likes.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
As a Pens fan I did find the series boring, but that's mostly because of how one sided it was. Not gonna sit here and whine about how the Isles trapped or whatever. They played well defensively, no doubt, but the Pens were so dead on the ice too. Very odd to see. Props to Isles though.

As for Tampa I did want to see them lose but not like that. It's kinda crappy to see the best team in the league out in 4 straight games. But what are ya gonna do. Sometimes that happens in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
So is trapping good defense to a high IQ hockey fan?

Trying to figure out the equation here.

Since when is giving up your blue line playing any type of defense? It is not.

The league stepped in to artificially increase scoring and to make sure little guys who dipsy doodle around with their heads down don't get crushed.

And as Mud said above, most nights it's just up and down the ice aimlessly. Boring.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pens series was a snooze fest. Not saying this as a biased pissed Pens fan, was just not into this team this season. JR turned us into a complete joke.

Tampa series was a good one I thought, it even had goals for both teams and both teams tried.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Have we reached the point where many hockey fans are just too young to remember the trap?

I watched every game in the CBJ/TBL series. That is not what a trapping team looks like.

Lots of people on here parrot what other people say. This is how hilarious narratives such as "Draisaitl 60 point player without McDavid" get hundreds of responses and actual debate.

So, yes. I guess the answer is yes. They're clearly not paying attention, at best.

Reactions: Viqsi

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Isles simply matched up well with Pittsburgh. Their style took over and the series was fast. I warned people here that we see this often with series that people think will go 7 that sometimes if the two teams styles are opposing one takes over and the other is eliminated fast. Columbus isn’t as inferior of a team to Tampa as people think. That said they just were/are insanely hot and got hot at the right time. I think the long break will hurt Columbus more than NYI because of the scope of how massive their upset was and how on fire they are. The Isles to me weren’t as clicking on all cylinders and I think they might not lose the mojo. That said, they second round matchup if it’s Washington will be much harder than whoever Columbus gets

Reactions: The Lighthouse

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I enjoyed the NYI-PITT series--mostly bc the islanders won--but there was a point during the 3rd game where I literally fell asleep.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
2nd best goal differential = don't care about defense.

Is this where I say Canuck fans don't care about the truth? I won't because I would not put down an entire fan base. I'll just laugh at your post instead. Hope it got you lots of likes.

A good goal differential doesn't mean you played good D. It just means you scored more than you let in. The isles has a worse goal differential then the leafs, yet won the Jennings. Toronto was 4th in the league in GF, but 20th in GA. Isles were 22nd in GF, 1st in GA. Toronto was just able to outscore their way out of trouble more often. Don't get me wrong, Anderson is a great goalie, but don't think just because you had a +35 goal differential that the team is good defensively

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I enjoyed the NYI-PITT series--mostly bc the islanders won--but there was a point during the 3rd game where I literally fell asleep.
Isles just suffocated the pens defensively. After Eberle and Nelson scored quickly to answer the Pens goal, the Pens just seemingly gave up

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
As an isles fan i thoroughly enjoyed the that series.

Jackets bolts were typically on at same time as isles so i didnt watch much of it but it sounds quite entertaining.

Oh and the isles dont play the trap.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A good goal differential doesn't mean you played good D. It just means you scored more than you let in. The isles has a worse goal differential then the leafs, yet won the Jennings. Toronto was 4th in the league in GF, but 20th in GA. They were just able to outscore their way out of trouble more often. Don't get me wrong, Anderson is a great goalie, but don't think just because you had a +35 goal differential that the team is good defensively
I don't think we're elite but we sure aren't as bad as the HF legends would have us believe. We've got a couple top 4 D anyone would want. System has a lot to do with these things. We usually tighten up in the post season.

Reactions: islesfan186

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Just because the Pens got swept, it was far from ho hum. Pretty exciting actually.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Just finished watching ...what a couple of snoozefests those series were...NYI and Columbus played boring hockey (gotta love trapping) and won...big ol meh from me they were boring games to watch...start to finish

Ps I’m a leafs fan so absolutely no bias here luckily (or I’d get roasted alive lol)
Those two teams got dominated

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Have we reached the point where many hockey fans are just too young to remember the trap?

I watched every game in the CBJ/TBL series. That is not what a trapping team looks like.

It was a 1-2-2, but way more forward than anything I remember seeing from Lemaire back in the day.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
The Pens/Isles series was almost unwatchable. It was just trappy, cloggy, plodding, boring (but effective) hockey and it was a hell of a lot less contentious and physical than I expected.
It was pretty physical. It's wasn't as nasty as the BOS/TOR series that's going on though. And it's not like the isles scored 7 goals the entire series, they scored 14 goals in 4 games. The Pens outshot the isles in every single game. The late 90s - early 2000s Devils were notorious for only allowing ~20 shots a game.
The caps played the same defensive system for the last 4 years as well with Trotz at the helm. The difference is you guys have the offensive firepower to make for exciting games. NYI does not have that kind of offensive talent
I can understand the point that when you're on the wrong end of that D, it can be infuriating to watch, but when the isles had the Mickey Mouse D system they had last year, watching this years D is an absolute thing of beauty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad