Waived: Antti Niemi (DeSmith Returned, Jarry Recalled)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How do you know he won't regress this year? There's no need to rush him.

How do you know he will regress? :laugh:

Of all weird things to question with Jarry, questioning whether he's NHL ready is pretty high up there. You can question if you want him up when you want him to develop further, or whether they need to be that concerned with that since they have Murray, but he's definitely NHL ready. He doesn't need to prove last year was a fluke, because he showed he was a NHL caliber goalie last year.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Good chance we lose both games in that scenario. The defense has been brutal.

I disagree.

Pens play Minnesota Saturday, Wild have a ton of injuries right now, it would be a rested pens team on Saturday against an injured Wild team, i give the pens a good chance of winning that game even if its one of the young goalies.

Sunday will be hard against a rested Jets team, but the Jets aren't Tampa Bay, i think the pens have a chance in that game with Murray, if you put one of the rookie goalies against the Jets it would be very difficult.

Last edited:

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I didn't think he'd be waived this soon, but I'm happy to eat my words.

He was horrendous in goal. Try DeSmith or Jarry unless you can find a suitable backup in the trade market for a cheap enough price.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
In the 2015–16 season, Murray was recalled from the AHL for the first time to the Pittsburgh Penguins on December 15, 2015 and made his NHL debut on December 19, 2015 in a 2–1 loss against the Carolina Hurricanes.[4][5] Murray was recalled again by the Pittsburgh Penguins on February 21, 2016[6] and started nine games to finish the season.
On April 19, 2016 the 21-year old Murray made his NHL playoff debut, allowing just 1 goal as the Penguins defeated the New York Rangers3–1.[7] Two days later, on April 21, Murray recorded his first NHL playoff shutout in a 5–0 win over the Rangers

-Thrown in the fire, and won back to back cups.

-Im interested in Desmith. Undefeated this year in 3 games, 97% save percentage, giving up .98 goals / game. He's been on fire so far.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd actually be a little concerned if Niemi got claimed on waivers, to be honest. I'm not comfortable with your goalie depth only being Murray-Jarry-DeSmith-Maguire. Niemi clearing waivers at least lets the Penguins have another fringe NHL goalie in the system.

Speaking of which, I just thought of something. What if the Penguins use Niemi as the backup, but send him down and recall Jarry on days of back to back games? I thought about this over the summer, but I didn't think it would work because Niemi was waiver eligible. Niemi would be the backup goalie sitting on the bench, but Jarry would be playing the 2nd of back to back games. Niemi would just get sent down and Jarry would get recalled. So if you had games on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, your goalies would look like:

Wednesday: Murray and Niemi
Friday: Jarry and Murray
Saturday: Murray and Niemi

Or something like that.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
How do you know he will regress? :laugh:

Of all weird things to question with Jarry, questioning whether he's NHL ready is pretty high up there. You can question if you want him up when you want him to develop further, or whether they need to be that concerned with that since they have Murray, but he's definitely NHL ready. He doesn't need to prove last year was a fluke, because he showed he was a NHL caliber goalie last year.

I don't. But to me, the sensible thing to do would be to call up DeSmith and just leave Jarry as the starter this season. Like last year.No need to rush him.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Wow

Damn, they are not happy with Niemi. :laugh:

I haven't seen this organization throw a player under the bus like that in a LONG time.

I interpreted that as Sully not being informed until the last minute. Or maybe that no one really knows what they're going to do next :laugh:

turd

Feb 1, 2013
What exactly are we “developing” Jarry for? To be the backup? To be a good trade chip? Something else entirely? He’s 11 months younger than Murray. I can’t see any sort of scenario (within the Penguins’ control) where Murray isn’t the starter for the next 6-8 years at least. So why can’t Jarry be brought up to be the backup? 25-30 NHL games, in my opinion, is a pretty good way to “develop” a young goalie. I just don’t get why people want to coddle him so much in the minors.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
giphy.gif

He would be a great pick up for a team trying to tank.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Good to see the team isn't messing around with the goalie situation. Hope they have a quick plan to remedy it (whether that's Jarry or a trade).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yohe's point is that a good backup
a) is more important than people think
b) isn't as easy to come by as people think

He's not exactly out on a limb.

That said, I take issue with b) as it pertains to the Pens, since they could have had Cal Pickard--a good backup--for nothing if they'd read the tea leaves a little quicker *grumbles I told you sos*

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
In the 2015–16 season, Murray was recalled from the AHL for the first time to the Pittsburgh Penguins on December 15, 2015 and made his NHL debut on December 19, 2015 in a 2–1 loss against the Carolina Hurricanes.[4][5] Murray was recalled again by the Pittsburgh Penguins on February 21, 2016[6] and started nine games to finish the season.
On April 19, 2016 the 21-year old Murray made his NHL playoff debut, allowing just 1 goal as the Penguins defeated the New York Rangers3–1.[7] Two days later, on April 21, Murray recorded his first NHL playoff shutout in a 5–0 win over the Rangers

-Thrown in the fire, and won back to back cups.

-Im interested in Desmith. Undefeated this year in 3 games, 97% save percentage, giving up .98 goals / game. He's been on fire so far.

No one should expect someone to do another Murray, tbh. His development curve was ridiculous and he didn't miss a beat.

I'd actually be a little concerned if Niemi got claimed on waivers, to be honest. I'm not comfortable with your goalie depth only being Murray-Jarry-DeSmith-Maguire. Niemi clearing waivers at least lets the Penguins have another fringe NHL goalie in the system.

Speaking of which, I just thought of something. What if the Penguins use Niemi as the backup, but send him down and recall Jarry on days of back to back games? I thought about this over the summer, but I didn't think it would work because Niemi was waiver eligible. Niemi would be the backup goalie sitting on the bench, but Jarry would be playing the 2nd of back to back games. Niemi would just get sent down and Jarry would get recalled. So if you had games on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, your goalies would look like:

Wednesday: Murray and Niemi
Friday: Jarry and Murray
Saturday: Murray and Niemi

Or something like that.

It only lasts for 30 days and then he'd have to be waived again. Fairly irrelevant at this point, Ignoring that, yeah, they could call up Jarry or DeSmith for back to backs while Niemi sits around. They'd be chipping away at the cap space but they could do that if they wanted to.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I feel like Jarry putting up a .925 save% in 45 games in the AHL last season is a lot better of an indicator of Jarry's NHL readiness than 3 games this year where he had a .883 save%. Jarry played in the NHL last year and looked pretty good IMO.
Jarry played in one NHL regular season game last year, that's all. Regular season and preseason ain't the same thing.

It's puzzling that JR hadn't put a claim on Picard. What was the downside? They claimed Condon last year with no virtual need. This year, such move as claiming solid back up goalie would be so much more needed. Picard has 1M cap hit, which was workable.

Now we probably gonna severly overpay for a back up or hope and pray that one of Jarry, DeSmith will pan out on NHL level.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
I dont like the timing of this, Its only 10/23/2017, I was thinking this was gonna be a major issue debated on the boards for at least 6 more weeks and through decisive actions the Penguins destroyed the debate. :sarcasm:

Reactions: LiquorLicense

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I interpreted that as Sully not being informed until the last minute. Or maybe that no one really knows what they're going to do next :laugh:

Niemi could want out of the contract or somehow get claimed. Who knows. Sullivan probably knows and doesn't want to tell anyone anything.

That said, I take issue with b) as it pertains to the Pens, since they could have had Cal Pickard--a good backup--for nothing if they'd read the tea leaves a little quicker *grumbles I told you sos*

I mean, it really hasn't been that hard for them the last two seasons. They f***ed up with Niemi but last year they picked Condon up on waivers and this year they could have gotten Pickard. They have Jarry as the #2 in their depth chart and DeSmith has had an amazing start to the season following a strong season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It only lasts for 30 days and then he'd have to be waived again. Fairly irrelevant at this point, Ignoring that, yeah, they could call up Jarry or DeSmith for back to backs while Niemi sits around. They'd be chipping away at the cap space but they could do that if they wanted to.

Yeah I know you'd have to re-waive him, but if he clears now, I can't imagine that will change if the Penguins waive him again in a month with him playing in no games.

I think that solution would work best. Jarry still gets plenty of minutes with WBS, but he also gets experience in the NHL. He'd probably end up with 55 games in the NHL and AHL combined by doing this, something like 20 NHL games and 35 AHL games.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Jarry played in one NHL regular season game last year, that's all. Regular season and preseason ain't the same thing.

It's puzzling that JR hadn't put a claim on Picard. What was the downside? They claimed Condon last year with no virtual need. This year, such move as claiming solid back up goalie would be so much more needed. Picard has 1M cap hit, which was workable.

Now we probably gonna severly overpay for a back up or hope and pray that one of Jarry, DeSmith will pan out on NHL level.

-Desmith outplayed Jarry last year in the win column, save percentage, and GAA. Only 6 games deep in the season, Desmith is far outplaying him this year, at least thus far.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Sort of off topic but what is a realistic scenario with (let's say Jarry) as I'm not as familiar with the others. We have our goalie obviously. My understanding is Jarry should develop into an NHL starter. Assuming he does and assuming Murray stays Murray and doesn't continue with injuries, are these goalies essentially "future trade candidates" only to us?

I don't fully understand how these things generally play out at this position

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
-Desmith outplayed Jarry last year in the win column, save percentage, and GAA. Only 6 games deep in the season, Desmith is far outplaying him this year, at least thus far.

Yep. They should give DeSmith a chance up here.
I'm surprised the organization acted this quick on Niemi but I'm in favor of it. I just hope they can pick up a serviceable backup veteran for little cost

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

B isn't very true though, because of Pickard like you mentioned plus guys like Condon from last year. Backup goalies move around all of the time, it's really not hard to get a good backup goalie. I still don't think Yohe was making that point, I still think he was just pumping JR's tires for keeping Fleury :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad