Waived: Antti Niemi (DeSmith Returned, Jarry Recalled)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I say!

But for real, I wonder who the backup is gonna be now. Logic would say Jarry, since he's #2 on the depth chart, but I wonder if they'd look to trade for a backup goalie or they'd recall DeSmith (who's playing better in WBS so far).

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

But for real, I wonder who the backup is gonna be now. Logic would say Jarry, since he's #2 on the depth chart, but I wonder if they'd look to trade for a backup goalie or they'd recall DeSmith (who's playing better in WBS so far).

This is the question for me. If there isn't a trade do you go with the higher thought of prospect or the guy who's playing significantly better looking at the stats. Merit says DeSmith.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
:laugh: That was definitely Yohe just throwing that in as he took it personally. I love when writers do that. That's a Rob Rossi move.

Like it doesn't make sense. He was trying to say "good thing the Penguins kept Fleury, because the Penguins would have had a **** backup like Niemi had they traded Fleury". It's just dumb :laugh:

JR keeping Fleury was the right move, but pointing to Niemi sucking as evidence for keeping Fleury being good is just a biiiiiiiit of a stretch I think.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This is the question for me. If there isn't a trade do you go with the higher thought of prospect or the guy who's playing significantly better looking at the stats. Merit says DeSmith.

It'd be easy enough to 'small sample size' DeSmith's better start away...but if the Pens fully intend on Jarry starting as much as possible, it'd be easy to give DeSmith a guilt-free trial run in the back-up role. That'd be my move, personally.

And yeah, anyone bringing Fleury up in a case against Niemi is being purposefully obtuse. There's a few reasons Fleury makes 8 times as much against the cap...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

It'll be DeSmith or a trade I would think. Jarry needs the whole season in AHL if possible

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I'm sure it wasn't all him (I missed the Hawks game and Saturday's game) but you can't just go in to every back to back assuming you'll lose. He was probably the very last backup I wanted to have to sign and I'm sure I'm not alone, so this was a possibility.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I hope Sully doesn't throw Jarry or Desmith into Sunday's game playing a rested Jets team on a back to back.

You could kill these kid's confidence if you put them into that situation.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't think Jarry needs a whole season in the AHL. He's definitely NHL ready.

The question is more about what is better for Jarry's development than it is about Jarry being 'ready' in my opinion. There's an easy argument to be made that starting 50-60 games (plus AHL playoffs) would be more beneficial than starting 20-25 games in the NHL for a 22 year-old. Jarry's existence helped explain why the Pens took such a massive risk on such a nominal contract with a guy like Niemi, but I still don't think the Pens had any intention of making a move before the calendar flipped over at the very least. There's just no way Niemi is acceptable for even that long, so...it's a debate worth having.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It'd be easy enough to 'small sample size' DeSmith's better start away...but if the Pens fully intend on Jarry starting as much as possible, it'd be easy to give DeSmith a guilt-free trial run in the back-up role. That'd be my move, personally.

Sample size is definitely at play but within the sample size DeSmith is on a hot streak. Guilt free trial run aside I'd also be more inclined to not throw Jarry to the wolves when it looks like he's working through things.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad