Waived: Antti Niemi (DeSmith Returned, Jarry Recalled)

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
e31.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The question is more about what is better for Jarry's development than it is about Jarry being 'ready' in my opinion. There's an easy argument to be made that starting 50-60 games (plus AHL playoffs) would be more beneficial than starting 20-25 games in the NHL for a 22 year-old. Jarry's existence helped explain why the Pens took such a massive risk on such a nominal contract with a guy like Niemi, but I still don't think the Pens had any intention of making a move before the calendar flipped over at the very least. There's just no way Niemi is acceptable for even that long, so...it's a debate worth having.

The issue is I don't think Jarry is going to start 50-60 games in the AHL even if he stays down, though. Niemi isn't going to go down to WBS and just sit on the bench every game, because I do think he's at least an acceptable AHL goalie at this point. I don't think there would be a significant difference in games played between Jarry playing 30 games in the NHL and Jarry staying all season in the AHL. AHL games are just too jam packed for me to think Jarry will start that many games, you don't want your goalie playing in 3 games in a weekend, which is a lot of what the AHL is.

His performance so far this year beg to differ. He needs more time in the AHL at least.

It's been 3 games. I repeat, it has been 3 games.

I feel like Jarry putting up a .925 save% in 45 games in the AHL last season is a lot better of an indicator of Jarry's NHL readiness than 3 games this year where he had a .883 save%. Jarry played in the NHL last year and looked pretty good IMO.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The issue is I don't think Jarry is going to start 50-60 games in the AHL even if he stays down, though. Niemi isn't going to go down to WBS and just sit on the bench every game, because I do think he's at least an acceptable AHL goalie at this point. I don't think there would be a significant difference in games played between Jarry playing 30 games in the NHL and Jarry staying all season in the AHL. AHL games are just too jam packed for me to think Jarry will start that many games, you don't want your goalie playing in 3 games in a weekend, which is a lot of what the AHL is.

It's been 3 games. I repeat, it has been 3 games.

I feel like Jarry putting up a .925 save% in 45 games in the AHL last season is a lot better of an indicator of Jarry's NHL readiness than 3 games this year where he had a .883 save%. Jarry played in the NHL last year and looked pretty good IMO.

Yes and in that span DeSmith has been better. Bring up the guy on a hot streak and let Jarry work out his funk.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think the future is Jarry, but I'd also like to point out that it's not unheard of for goalies to regress slightly. Development isn't linear. So, it's fine if Jarry's struggling a bit now, give DeSmith a call up to get shelled to reward good play, and give Jarry the message that, if he puts it together, HE could be up there ASAP.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes and in that span DeSmith has been better. Bring up the guy on a hot streak and let Jarry work out his funk.

It has been 3 games. I don't know why you're ignoring that. It's not like one player is on a 10 game hot streak and the other guy is sporting an .800 save% over the season, it has been 2 weekends so far in the AHL.

I think the future is Jarry, but I'd also like to point out that it's not unheard of for goalies to regress slightly. Development isn't linear. So, it's fine if Jarry's struggling a bit now, give DeSmith a call up to get shelled to reward good play, and give Jarry the message that, if he puts it together, HE could be up there ASAP.

I'd be fine with DeSmith getting called up, but I just don't like the justification that it's because Jarry isn't NHL ready right now. He 100% is NHL ready, and 3 poor games doesn't change that. People just have the memory of goldfishes to make such claims after small sample sizes. I'd be fine with calling up DeSmith because he is playing better now and, let's be honest, he doesn't matter. However, that doesn't make Jarry not NHL ready, because he should be pretty much unanimously considered NHL ready.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

What a load of BS coming from Yohe :laugh:

Niemi sucking ass doesn't validate JR keeping Fleury, Niemi just sucks.

You dont get it. The reason he disnt want to trade Fleury is because getting a good backup is hard.

In any Fleury deal its likely a goalie with some salary has to come back. One such deal could have been Fleury to Dallas with Neimi coming back. Any confidence we win with Neimi playing the first 2 round last year?

Its speaked directly to why he didnt trade him in season

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You dont get it. The reason he disnt want to trade Fleury is because getting a good backup is hard.

In any Fleury deal its likely a goalie with some salary has to come back. One such deal could have been Fleury to Dallas with Neimi coming back. Any confidence we win with Neimi playing the first 2 round last year?

Its speaked directly to why he didnt trade him in season

That's obviously not what Yohe was saying :laugh:

Yohe was saying "see how bad Niemi is? That's what the Penguins would have had if they would have traded Fleury last year". If you really think Yohe thinks about his tweets so much to say "if the Penguins would have traded Fleury, it would have had to be for Niemi", I don't know what to tell you. He just makes snide remarks randomly. He doesn't think enough and isn't smart enough with hockey to know that if the Penguins would have had to take back a guy like Niemi to trade Fleury.

Reactions: td_ice

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think we should all be thankful that Fleury stayed last year and that we didn't go for Niemi like some people wanted. Woof. He's been worse than I had even expected.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why would anyone claim him?

Vegas literally needs warm bodies in net with their top 2 goalies hurt for what appears to be the long-term and wouldn't cost an asset or much more than the league minimum to shove onto an expansion team. I expect Niemi to go unclaimed because, I mean...god damn, but at the same time I think it would probably be in Vegas's best interest to suck it up and claim Niemi as their back-up until one of Fleury or Subban returns.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think we should all be thankful that Fleury stayed last year and that we didn't go for Niemi like some people wanted. Woof. He's been worse than I had even expected.

Oh yeah, we definitely should be. I just find Yohe saying "good thing the Penguins kept Fleury last year, because their current backup goalie sucks" to be incredibly dumb. Keeping Fleury was the right decision because the Penguins won the cup with Fleury playing a pretty big role, you don't need to stretch something to add more than that.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Al Montoya I'm sure could be

Agreed but I believe most people were talking about a swap with Lehtonen not that it would have been much better

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It has been 3 games. I don't know why you're ignoring that. It's not like one player is on a 10 game hot streak and the other guy is sporting an .800 save% over the season, it has been 2 weekends so far in the AHL.

I'd be fine with DeSmith getting called up, but I just don't like the justification that it's because Jarry isn't NHL ready right now. He 100% is NHL ready, and 3 poor games doesn't change that. People just have the memory of goldfishes to make such claims after small sample sizes. I'd be fine with calling up DeSmith because he is playing better now and, let's be honest, he doesn't matter. However, that doesn't make Jarry not NHL ready, because he should be pretty much unanimously considered NHL ready.

Jarry needs to do well this season to show that last year wasn't a fluke and he is that talented. If he puts up .920+ in 35+ games. Then he'll be ready.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jarry needs to do well this season to show that last year wasn't a fluke and he is that talented. If he puts up .920+ in 35+ games. Then he'll be ready.

That is absolutely unnecessary for him to prove his NHL readiness. He proved it last year. He doesn't need to prove last year "wasn't a fluke". He has already proven he's a NHL caliber goalie.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
That is absolutely unnecessary for him to prove his NHL readiness. He proved it last year. He doesn't need to prove last year "wasn't a fluke". He has already proven he's a NHL caliber goalie.

How do you know he won't regress this year? There's no need to rush him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad