Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
so what? Jarry instead of Nurse why even make this comment?
We traded down from 37 for the Slepy pick. Jarry went 44.

Valentin Zykov went 37th. Out of that series of trades we ended up with Yakimov, Slepyshev, Houck, Platzer and Muir. It was a phenomenal series of trades capped off by a horrible example of amateur scouting.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Why are we burning valuable ice time on a guy who might put up 30 points next to Connor McDavid though? If he earns the ice-time, fine. But it took him until the 50 game mark to actually get going. If he does jump ship, I'm beginning to lean towards not drafting Russians at all until there's a transfer agreement. These guys are entitled as it gets.
Players are free to decide where they want to play, Americans/Canadians use to say. Right?

Look at NHL clubs, how they "negotiate" with European prospects. Better said, how they force the prospects to break their European deals. It is ILLEGAL in normal world.

The thing that I didn’t like is that they called me many times to join them, they hasted me in dissolving my contract with Dynamo.
see

In normal world, a NHL club negotiates with an European club about transfer fee for releasing a player to this NHL club.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Players are free to decide where they want to play, Americans/Canadians use to say. Right?

Look at NHL clubs, how they "negotiate" with European prospects. Better said, how they force the prospects to break their European deals. It is ILLEGAL in normal world.

see

In normal world, a NHL club negotiates with an European club about transfer fee for releasing a player to this NHL club.
NHL teams can't 'force' prospects to do anything until they have them signed to a standard player's contract. And players who sign those should be willing to do what they can to be in the National Hockey League.

Andrei Mironov's interview that you linked shows a kid who was too impatient. Some players, regardless of where they're from, spend years in the American Hockey League honing their talents. Mironov couldn't wait a month even though he'd never played on NA ice before this year. 23 years old and he thinks he's a shoe in for an NHL roster spot. It's not that easy.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
If Slepychev bolts to the Khl it's pretty much all on McLellan. There's no way he should have stayed in the press box so much and played down the lineup.

It's not a done deal so I'll hold out hope he stays with the club. But I'm not liking the looks of things. Man has McLellan mishandled this player big time, what a disgrace. Right when things are starting to look good with Slepychev, now we might lose him. This organization can't afford to be pissing away assets in this fashion.

Caggiula has 4 more points in 16 more games, all the while getting way better linemates, McLellan had truly dropped the ball with this decision. Cammalleri has two f***ing goals so far this season. How do these guys get chosen over Anton is beyond me. On top of the offensive stats both Caggiula and Cammalleri are atrocious defensively and turn the puck over endlessly. The difference is night and day between Slepychev and those two.

Admittedly Anton has struggled to find the back of the net at times, but things are turning around, no surprise though it happens once he paired with Better linemates. The lineup decisions are all on McLellan, he's completely sewered this season, Slepychev leaving is all on him. What a disaster!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
NHL teams can't 'force' prospects to do anything until they have them signed to a standard player's contract. And players who sign those should be willing to do what they can to be in the National Hockey League.

Andrei Mironov's interview that you linked shows a kid who was too impatient. Some players, regardless of where they're from, spend years in the American Hockey League honing their talents. Mironov couldn't wait a month even though he'd never played on NA ice before this year. 23 years old and he thinks he's a shoe in for an NHL roster spot. It's not that easy.
You are very naive, if you think so.

NHL clubs make big pressure on European prospects to move to North America, all those European prospects are under European contract at the time, so NHL club want them to terminate this contract. For example Gurianov, who had a valid KHL deal for next season/s, but he terminated it. And he is not alone.

I have no problem with European prospects moving to America.... if NHL (or CHL or AHL) clubs contact his European team, agree a tranfer fee with European club. But this does not happen, because NHL clubs want their European prospects to come to America for free.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
NHL teams put pressure on both European teams and players to get prospects over to NA

as for Slepyshev--there are a few KHL teams that want to get him--however, I could be wrong, but Slepyshev has moved his family to Edmonton so there is more to factor in what goes into his decision to make a move back to the KHL

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I hope Sleppy stays in the organization as he's better than quite a few forwards here. Tmac doesn't favor him over the underperforming forwards so I doubt he will be here after this season unfortunately. He's got all the tools, and may one day breakthrough.
Totally agree with your post. He simply got stuck with an inept coach that jerked him around. Unfortunately it's a known fact for a while now, that this organization is clueless in the development of players. Can you just imagine if say, Sleppy was gifted the preferential treatment that Lucic has been getting all season. Just laughable

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Slepy probably already knows the grass is not always greener in mother Russia. I think he stays at least another season

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I would be surprised if Slepyshev bolts now when he’s finally looking like a consistent NHLer and getting good linemates and minutes. He moved his family here with him.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Maybe this is just a negotiating ploy by Slepychev's agent. Going to Russia he won't make near what he would make in the NHL. Possibly there's a big divide in contact negotiations.

So what is each side asking for? And how much do you think they're offering for him in the KHL?

Just speculation and for fun

Slepychev asking: 1.85 mil

Chiarelli offering: 1 mil

Salavat Yulaev offering: 500k

What numbers do you guys think?

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
May be some chance of keeping him since hes got more opportunity recently. I just dont understand why the coaching staff was so relunctant to play him. I know he hasnt been consistent this year, but for a team with a real lack of wingers, he has one of the better skillsets on the team. Once again TM jacked around with his playtime, confidence and inability to put him in a good situation.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You are very naive, if you think so.

NHL clubs make big pressure on European prospects to move to North America, all those European prospects are under European contract at the time, so NHL club want them to terminate this contract. For example Gurianov, who had a valid KHL deal for next season/s, but he terminated it. And he is not alone.

I have no problem with European prospects moving to America.... if NHL (or CHL or AHL) clubs contact his European team, agree a tranfer fee with European club. But this does not happen, because NHL clubs want their European prospects to come to America for free.
The only leverage they hold over them is their ability to play in the National Hockey League. What additional 'big pressure' is there?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The only leverage they hold over them is their ability to play in the National Hockey League. What additional 'big pressure' is there?
If you want to go this route, I am fine ...

From the IIHF rules

During the period of an existing contract a player shall not be approached by an official of any other club, or by a person in connection with any other club, in membership with another member national association or league with the goal of inducing the player to breach his current contract and to join a new club.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you want to go this route, I am fine ...

From the IIHF rules
So they break the rule as set forth by the IIHF. So what?

My question was what additional pressure does the NHL hold over their prospects playing overseas. One would assume these players want to play in the NHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So they break the rule as set forth by the IIHF. So what?

My question was what additional pressure does the NHL hold over their prospects playing overseas. One would assume these players want to play in the NHL.
Who cares where they want to play? The most important is that they have valid Euro contract and if NHL club wants to sign them, the NHL club has to agree on terms of transfer fee with European club to release them. Then, a prospect can sign in the NHL.

This
... with the goal of inducing the player to breach his current contract and to join a new club.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who cares where they want to play? The most important is that they have valid Euro contract and if NHL club wants to sign them, the NHL club has to agree on terms of transfer fee with European club to release them. Then, a prospect can sign in the NHL.

This
Apparently it isn't 'most important' when it's so easy for them to head overseas. How is it any different than Shipachyov bolting back to Russia after playing three games of his two-year deal with Vegas? Obviously the 'most important' thing is what these players think is best for their own development.

Again...what leverage does the NHL hold over these players other than their ability to play in the league? You're blaming the big, bad NHL for breaching European contracts. Would these players not prefer a shot at a significantly higher salary? Prefer an opportunity to play the top competition? These European contracts would not be terminated without the full co-operation of the player and his agent.

It's pretty apparent there are a number of guys jumping on planes to North America thinking becoming a full-time NHL is a lot easier than it actually is.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Apparently it isn't 'most important' when it's so easy for them to head overseas. How is it any different than Shipachyov bolting back to Russia after playing three games of his two-year deal with Vegas? Obviously the 'most important' thing is what these players think is best for their own development.

Again...what leverage does the NHL hold over these players other than their ability to play in the league? You're blaming the big, bad NHL for breaching European contracts. Would these players not prefer a shot at a significantly higher salary? Prefer an opportunity to play the top competition? These European contracts would not be terminated without the full co-operation of the player and his agent.

It's pretty apparent there are a number of guys jumping on planes to North America thinking becoming a full-time NHL is a lot easier than it actually is.
Yes, Shipachyov is the same example. As Kovalchuk and Datsyuk with their retirement. As I said, in normal world, NJD would sell Kovalchuk to SKA, Russian side paid some money, agreed by both clubs, to NJD and everyone would be ok.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
still waiting for confirmation but the guy who told me he had signed with the Oilers has now told me he has a contract in place with a Russian team--that will kick in if the oilers do not trade him to another NHL team-pure speculation---so attack at will

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
still waiting for confirmation but the guy who told me he had signed with the Oilers has now told me he has a contract in place with a Russian team--that will kick in if the oilers do not trade him to another NHL team-pure speculation---so attack at will
Could make some sense honestly. Who knows. I feel like he'll be an add in to a deal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He told his cleaner months ago to look for another job because he was probably going back. Few weeks ago she was told to look as he doesn't plan on being in Edmonton and has something worked out in Russia

Maybe he doesn't like the cleaner. Thought she did good work IMO though

Reactions: Aerrol

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
We kept playing worthless players like Milan Lucic over this guy despite him busting his *** off every shift and doing all the little things you'd think a coach would like, but nope, gotta devote the entirety of our gameplan to get Milan out of his scoring slump. Milan sucks a big skin banana and costs us the game? Cut Anton's minutes to ensure Milan can stay out longer. Milan refuses to fight when a teammate takes a dirty hit and just stands and watches it happen? Better scratch Anton for throwing a big hit the previous shift. The real question we should be asking is why would he NOT bolt to the KHL?

We're losing a player who may be flawed, but brought a ton of energy, made some great plays, flashed potential, and added an element to the team that we needed, simply because McLellan is a stubborn dinosour who refuses to look at Lucic as anything but the pile of steaming donkey feces he was, and because Chiarelli is the dumbest executive in Oilers history and bites hard into the sunken cost fallacy and wants to recuperate as much value out of his favourite player as possible. It should be Lucic going to the KHL and not Slepyshev.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There were rumors about the team not being happy with Slepy off ice and at practice, hence why he didn't get the gift wrapped minutes that he probably wasn't going to have this year.

The other thing and this is like Hartkiannen all over. If the guy is that good, why isn't someone else giving him a shot? I rather not lose him because I like what he brings at times. But at the same time I really don't know how long you can spend on prospects before cutting ties.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There were rumors about the team not being happy with Slepy off ice and at practice, hence why he didn't get the gift wrapped minutes that he probably wasn't going to have this year.

The other thing and this is like Hartkiannen all over. If the guy is that good, why isn't someone else giving him a shot? I rather not lose him because I like what he brings at times. But at the same time I really don't know how long you can spend on prospects before cutting ties.
Zero consistency. Gets put up on a top 6 line during game shows flash of good. Put him there next game and he starts sucking. Hard guy to get a read on.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
It's not rumors. Literally every single front office executive involved in hockey knows Chiarelli hated Slepyshev. I mean the guy publicly stated that he sent an email to every single NHL team that Slepyshev was available for trade, and of course other teams seeing Chiarelli say crap like this, know that we don't value him whatsoever, so they're not going to give any assets to get him and would rather give their own prospects a shot. Peter Chiarelli basically announced to the hockey world that we have no respect for this player whatsoever, and if your own GM doesn't respect you, other GMs aren't going to hold you in a positive light either, and as a player knowing that your GM thinks you're worthless despite you showing value via on ice play, and your coach would rather play a refrigerator on skates like Lucic despite you outplaying that buffoon pretty much every game of the season, you're not gonna want to stay either.

Peter Chiarelli is absolute cancer for this franchise. The tumor needed to be excised 2 years ago, but considering how our CEO is Chiarelli's best buddy Bob Nicholson, the imbecile running our team is going to ensure that this tumor becomes metastatic.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad