Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Hopefully this can just thought of as conditioning stint for all involved. He hasn't played a lot of minutes since being injured. Dude shouldn't be too upset about it, while I think he belongs in the NHL it's not like he's in any position to feel mega slighted to play a few weeks on the farm.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So that was your one free wavier exempt piece, what happens when Sekera's back? They're still going to need to waive 1 of Walker, Caggiula, Auvitu, and Gryba.

Are they actually going to keep 9 defenceman on the active roster?

I'm a bigger fan of Slepy than Cags, but I'd still be against trading either them. Neither hold much value, so moving them won't get you much help on the main roster, and I don't like the idea of giving away young and cheap NHL talent for low quality magic beans.

The obvious answer is to move out the older guys, who are seeing a reduced role this year and/or won't be back next year. Looking at you Maroon, Auvitu, Gryba, Cammy, and Letestu.
My guess would be Auvitu or Gryba get waived. Which is fine imo, if one of them get claimed we still have Stanton or Simpson as 9th string call ups.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd rather Slepshev be in the lineup over Cagguila but neither of them have really lit it up this year. That being said Cagguila has gotten way more opportunity than Slepshev has. Coach likes Cagguila though. Hopefully it motivates Slepshev to be better.

Reactions: Pressure

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I'd rather Slepshev be in the lineup over Cagguila but neither of them have really lit it up this year. That being said Cagguila has gotten way more opportunity than Slepshev has. Coach likes Cagguila though. Hopefully it motivates Slepshev to be better.
Agreed. I'd rather have Slepy than Caggulia. I still don't understand why Cagguila gets gifted so many primo minutes from the start.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
still waiting on notification he is one his way down via a plane

like I said saturday--voodoo rocks are telling me something is up

as per usual flame away
Considering his name has been out there by the main stream media for the past month. I don't know why it would be voodoo

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He was money last playoff with Drai. Not sure why Strome doesnt get a look with Nuge instead?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
He was never going to get on a plane. It was just a paper transaction to get Larsson in the game yesterday.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I'm actually so insanely mad that this is even a possibility!!!!! I cannot for the life of me fathom what Slep did to TM and CHIA. I REALLY don't want to compare because hindsight is 20/20 but this is the same exact feeling I had when we moved Miro Satan and Ray Whitney because they didn't "fit". Slep given the right time and patience can be a dominating power forward WITH a shot.

NO TRADING SLEPYSHEV!!!!!!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm actually so insanely mad that this is even a possibility!!!!! I cannot for the life of me fathom what Slep did to TM and CHIA. I REALLY don't want to compare because hindsight is 20/20 but this is the same exact feeling I had when we moved Miro Satan and Ray Whitney because they didn't "fit". Slep given the right time and patience can be a dominating power forward WITH a shot.

NO TRADING SLEPYSHEV!!!!!!
Slepyshev didn't do anything. That's essentially the reason why he's more than likely going to move on after the roster freeze. He's a depth forward about to lose his waiver exemption. At some point you need to offer more than just a warm body to hold a spot on this roster. The Ray Whitney and Miro Satan examples don't hold a lot of merit when you consider they were both already established producers at the NHL level when moved and at a younger age, mind you. The Oilers have plenty of depth wingers available to them. Why they'd invest more time in trying to shake out some seemingly non-existent offense from this kid when our PK is taking a beating eludes me and seems unlikely, unfortunately.

I'm still bullish on him as a future NHLer, but the Edmonton Oilers just don't have the luxury to coddle this guy if they have any interest in pulling themselves back into the playoff picture. Turning him into a more versatile forward via trade would be beneficial to us. A fresh start with guaranteed ice would be beneficial to him.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think he is done very very shortly
yes because we have lots of NHL ready players in the minors.
Camy is not a long term solution here and we may be walking from both Strome and Maroon. There is no reason to be "done" with slepy.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Camy is not a long term solution here and we may be walking from both Strome and Maroon. There is no reason to be "done" with slepy.

The team isn't walking away from Strome. That's honestly ridiculous to suggest.

Reactions: belair

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

There is a reason to give him an opportunity elsewhere though. He's not productive enough to hold a permanent roster spot today. And if he's unhappy with sitting in the press-box or unwilling to play in the minors, capitalizing on whatever value he holds would be in our best interest.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I would not trade or release him. He is a tough player with speed, a shot and IQ. Only problem is he doesn't score a lot but that could be said of a lot of players. TM doesn't like him so sadly he may be gone.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO he's been skating and playing better of late. Is it too little too late or might we bring him back on another cheap 1 year deal?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Wait, what?
Rough translation from Google:

As it became known to the "Championship", "Salavat Yulaev" is actively working on the return of striker Anton Slepyshev. Several sources confirmed this information at once.

The 23-year-old forward was chosen by the Edmonton Oilers in the NHL Draft of 2013 in the third round under the overall 88th number and performs in North America from the 2015/16 season. This season, he played 34 matches in the NHL and scored 10 (5 + 5) points with a score of "-3". In the last games Slepyshev came out in the first link with Connor McDavid.

In total in the NHL on his account 21 (9 + 12) points in 86 games with a score of "-3". In the AHL for three seasons Slepyshev played 59 games and scored 31 (16 + 15) points for performance.

Rights for Slepyshev in the KHL are assigned to "Salavat Yulaev", for which he performed from 2013 to 2015. In the KHL, the striker played 159 games, scored 29 goals and made 20 assists with a "-4" utility score.

In addition, Anton twice participated in the junior world championships, and also played at two youth world championships. As part of the Russian national team, he won bronze YuCHM-2011 and two bronze MCHM (2013, 2014).

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Wait, what?
Various sources confirmed to this media that Salavat Yulaev is in really serious negotiations with Slepyshev. Of course, about next season, because KHL trade deadline for this season is over. Mironov´s 2017/18 season is over when he terminates his deal in the NHL, he can not play the KHL this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad