Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
in another unrelated matter the Oilers may offer Bogdon Yakimov a contract that will allow them to keep his rights--if that is so--that confuses me--it just means they keep his rights and it counts towards the 75 (I think it is 75) rights amount a team is allowed to have of players. They will also Q Slepyshev to retain his rights
I think it’s 90 not 75 not exactly sure either though

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In Russia he was average at best.

His best KHL season Hartikainen had 15 more points.
Slepyshev had 15 goals and 25 points as a 20 year old in his last year in the KHL. He was also the captain of both the Russian U18 and under 20 teams. Had it not been for the Russian factor and his decision to skip the combine to finish his exams he might well have been a mid first round pick.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Slepyshev had 15 goals and 25 points as a 20 year old in his last year in the KHL. He was also the captain of both the Russian U18 and under 20 teams. Had it not been for the Russian factor and his decision to skip the combine to finish his exams he might well have been a mid first round pick.
That would of been an awful 1st round pick

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I love Anton’s skills but he just couldn’t bring it every night, which is why his numbers are what they are also isn’t a good enough playmaker at this point and I could see him benefit from a year or 2 in the KHL.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
See ya, and good riddance. Another useless player that didn’t accomplish anything on a consistent basis. You don’t build a hockey team on wannabes and maybes.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd hate to see him go, solid 3rd, fourth line player. Can shoot, take a hit etc.
So many years developing then right when he is ready to be a regular or could even impress with continued improvement next year we decide to cast him aside. All those years for not.

Yep. Typical of this org. I always liked Slepy. So odd that the team dd not reunite him with Draisaitl. I don't feel in the slightest that this players strengths and ability were utilized. This guy could end up being like a Perron if given a bigger role. He can play in traffic, fight for pucks, is physical, and has obvious skill.

This offseason is shaping up exactly how I thought. Team gets rid of Slepy and Pac who they never valued and Kassian has the worst season of his pro career and is constantly in the lineup and not even questioned. There wasn't a worse player on this club than Kassian.

Last edited:
Reactions: trent_vinyl

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Slepy heading back to Russia isn't big news to Oiler fans, we've known this for a while now. not sad about it. great package of size and speed but he just can't score at the NHL level and was even scratched a few times for several games this year. he's one player that the Oilers can improve upon.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Slepy heading back to Russia isn't big news to Oiler fans, we've known this for a while now. not sad about it. great package of size and speed but he just can't score at the NHL level and was even scratched a few times for several games this year. he's one player that the Oilers can improve upon.

*He's one player of several that Oilers can improve on, but yes these are my exact thoughts to. It was cool to have ya Sleps but goodluck overseas. I could see him back with a team in the East in a few years.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not a huge fan of this player. Many nights you'd be forgiven for forgetting he was even on the team.

That being said, another lost asset for nothing. If the Oilers were running a bank there wouldn't be any money left in it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Guy was on the trade block all year and so many are making him out to be some sort of saviour

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Slepy had one nice stretch this year where you could think maybe he turned it around, maybe he figured it out, maybe he can actually contribute now. It happened right after he requested a trade and found out not one GM in the league thought he'd be worth a pick up. Then he disappeared again as usual.

Can't really blame the Oilers for any losing of assets considering no one in the league wanted him. Sometimes there's no market for a player, and that's cause the player has no value based on his own play.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
See ya, and good riddance. Another useless player that didn’t accomplish anything on a consistent basis. You don’t build a hockey team on wannabes and maybes.

Like we have any other choice at this point.

Another Oilers prospect they were unable to develop properly to lose for nothing.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wish he would of got more of an opportunity. Seems like a waste of an asset/players. He didnt produce when he was given minutes, but I really question if management/coaching staff can develop young players properly. Too many players that this organization has wasted.

Hopefully Slep has some success in KHL and enjoys being closer to family.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Nope, I didn't imply that, I stated the reality. Because things like that are TOO often presented as a Uniquely Edmonton Oilers problem

Yeah this is just whataboutism that completely distracts from the point, which is that this is a problem for the Oilers and, for a team that desperately needs to start turning some of these young cheap players into NHLers if they ever want to have success, one that needs fixing.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
I'd hate to see him go, solid 3rd, fourth line player. Can shoot, take a hit etc.
So many years developing then right when he is ready to be a regular or could even impress with continued improvement next year we decide to cast him aside. All those years for not.
Yup, you stated it perfectly. Slepyshev has a lot of good qualities and I definitely see a player there. Unfortunately, we've only seen glimpses of it because of injuries, inconsistency, and horrible usage by the coaching staff. He's a low cost / high potential winger that I'm extremely ticked that we'll be losing.

Last edited:

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Guy was on the trade block all year and so many are making him out to be some sort of saviour

I think it's a joke he was on the trade block to begin with. He was coming off injury, hadn't settled in, was inconsistent, etc. What did we hope to get for him? And I don't see anyone acting like he's some kind of savior. I see folks thinking he's got a lot of tools, is cheap, and makes sense to keep in the organization.

Reactions: McCanovin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad