Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I don't view this as some sort of new occurence. To me, Slepyshev has been rock-solid all year. Only difference is he is now getting regular ice-time.

I love this player. He is a big body that is great in his own-end. At worst, you have a player who doesn't hurt you. The bonus is that he has some impact tools like hitting and shooting which make him a very valuable player.

I think he has legit scoring upside if he ever gets put in that role also. Watch the way he supports the puck and makes himself an easy target for a pass. Really smart player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Watching the opposition feed has been interesting. There have been a lot of remarks about Slepyshev that include his shot. It is a bullet, and he is starting to use it more.

They have also noticed that he is big, but last night the color guy mentioned the 187lbs number that is in hockeydb and in the Oilers official program. Those come from his draft year and are almost for sure out of date. Eliteprospects has him at 218lbs and my guess is that he is all of that. Seeing him fairly close up live he definitely looks like one of the bigger guys on the team.

Example

Dec 5, 2010
Watching the opposition feed has been interesting. There have been a lot of remarks about Slepyshev that include his shot. It is a bullet, and he is starting to use it more.

They have also noticed that he is big, but last night the color guy mentioned the 187lbs number that is in hockeydb and in the Oilers official program. Those come from his draft year and are almost for sure out of date. Eliteprospects has him at 218lbs and my guess is that he is all of that. Seeing him fairly close up live he definitely looks like one of the bigger guys on the team.

Everytime I watch a game, if there's one person I want shooting the puck, its been Slepyshev. Not because he's proven he can score an obscene amount of goals, but for the exact reason you've mentioned. Kid has a rocket.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Slep has potential to be what I wish Yak could have become here. Pain in the butt chippy Russian sniper. Bonus having the right handed shot. Hope he keeps taking steps and improving.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Heard Stauffer mention a funny stat that we are 12-0-2 in the last 14 games with Slepyshev in the lineup

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Thought he had a really good game last night. Was physically engaged, emotionally engaged and drove the offense on his line. Hopefully a sign of more to come from him.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Slepyshev is the only guy on the team who I faith in beating an unscreened goalie with his shot from the outside (maybe Puljujarvi, as well, or Pouliot when he actually decides to shoot, although, Pouliot's accuracy has always been wanting). Extremely heavy shot and a very nice release. Honestly, he'd be an effective player without the shot, but with it, he has potential to play up the lineup and that will be very important in coming years when cheap wing replacements will become essential after McDavid and Drai get paid.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Ducks broadcast was raving about Sleps(and Klefbom and Talbot) all game. I wouldn't be surprised if he opened a few eyes there last night. He was everywhere that game.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

The KHL has him at 194lbs (88kg), and that would be a couple years ago.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
When Slepyshev is on the ice 5 on 5 he's faced a grand total of 2 GA. That's pretty impressive over what is becoming a decent sample size of 240 minutes and 22 games.

I definitely feel he is a key ingredient to the "decent depth" equation for this team beyond being just a one line team that's easy to shut down.

If this team has more solid defensive forwards (like Slepyshev) AND a D group that is at least average in their ability to defend and get the puck out of their own end +a solid starter in net... that's the ingredients for a team that will be much harder to play against going forward.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Really like this player. Plays a straightforward game, finishes checks, shoots a lot, backchecks hard and most importantly he's a smart player.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Really like this player. Plays a straightforward game, finishes checks, shoots a lot, backchecks hard and most importantly he's a smart player.

Smart, young, athletically gifted and hardworking. Really what mid round picks should consist of, the other stuff will come and has come gradually or Slepy

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Could it be that this franchise FINALLY has found a Russian forward in the draft that will be a staple in their lineup?

2013: Yakimov, Slepyshev
2012: Yakupov, Zharkov
2006: Bumagin
2005: Trukhno
2003: Zhukov
2000: Mikhnov, Muratov
1998: Smirnov, Spiridonov
1993: Maltsev
1989: Semenov

You literally have to go back to the 1989 draft before you can find a Russian forward the Oilers drafted who went on to produce at all in the NHL...and he was 27 years old when they drafted him!

That's an outright horrific drafting record. Fingers crossed for Slepy!

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Not sure why they sent him down, he has looked solid in every game he has played in this year. Also didnt realize how big he was until he was standing with Drai and Lucic and didnt look out of place in the slightest.

Great draft pick.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I have time for Pouliot given what he gave us the prior 2 seasons, but that is a horrible excuse. He had a shoulder separation with about 20 games left in the season. That is hardly a serious injury and is something that should have been beyond 100% by the start of this season given that he had almost 6 months to rehab, and a typical shoulder separation takes 2-3 months max.

All shoulder separations arent made equal.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Slep keeps improving. Good on him taking the first run at Manning last game. Set the tone for the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad