Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd almost keep him down there just to get some play in. If we ever did add another forward which it sounds like we probably will, he'll be even further down the depth chart.

If they add a forward (or two) I agree, but I'm looking at is as a current roster staying the same, you send him down now then bring him back when it's easier.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Slepy looks better every time that I see him. I would love to see what he could do on the PP and felt that he totally deserved some time against Boston

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Caggiulla and Slepy are the most promising. Don't really see the other three as anything special.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I noticed him do a little of everything last night. His shot is always dangerous, but he got to the paint, laid a couple checks, worked hard forechecking and backchecking. Great depth guy that can contribute in a variety of ways. Good playoff teams have several of this type of player. And to the GM's credit, the oilers have several of these guys too

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
When Maroon was in the box for fighting and Slepy filled in he was excellent. Maroon seems to have picked it up the past couple games so I am leaning away from the switch that I was advocating before.

But at least if Maroon dries up again I think we have the clear cut answer to who should be playing on that line. I was thinking put Lucic back there with the way he has been playing but I think Slep would be a much better option. His wrist shot is unbelievable.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I noticed him do a little of everything last night. His shot is always dangerous, but he got to the paint, laid a couple checks, worked hard forechecking and backchecking. Great depth guy that can contribute in a variety of ways. Good playoff teams have several of this type of player. And to the GM's credit, the oilers have several of these guys too

Agreed. Slepyshev is a prototypical blue collar type player. But has some skill too. I see his value increasing in a playoff enviroment

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
When Maroon was in the box for fighting and Slepy filled in he was excellent. Maroon seems to have picked it up the past couple games so I am leaning away from the switch that I was advocating before.

But at least if Maroon dries up again I think we have the clear cut answer to who should be playing on that line. I was thinking put Lucic back there with the way he has been playing but I think Slep would be a much better option. His wrist shot is unbelievable.

Plus, Lucic and Eberle are finally having chemistry together, so I wouldn't separate those two.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Have to say I'm slowly coming around to the Slepyshev hype train. I've not been nearly as high on him as others around here but I'm starting to really like what he is bringing. Guy deserves to be in the lineup regularly and probably even getting some chances at bigger minutes and potential PP deployment. He's been doing a very good job with limited minutes this season.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Im not high on this player. Maybe he can become a full time bottom 6 player. If he ever wants to become a top6 or even top9, he needs to use his linemates way way more.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He was a 1st overall pick in Russia for a reason. He has some skill. He was a leader for Russia at the world juniors. I've always been a fan. He brings a lot of what we need. Size, right shot, good shot, shoot first, hard working, physicality.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There's an interview of Tarasenko mentioning his early struggles in the NHL were to due language barrier and being the only Russian on the team. He had to rely on himself as opposed to guys like Kuznetsov coming into the league with Russian affiliates on the Caps who made the transition a lot easier. I could see Slepy finally getting over that hurdle and finally establishing a NHL career. Not saying he will be as good as Tarasenko but he's definitely feeling more comfortable out there.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Im not high on this player. Maybe he can become a full time bottom 6 player. If he ever wants to become a top6 or even top9, he needs to use his linemates way way more.
I disagree. Shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot. I wish more guys had this mentality.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

But you tend to not be high on Russians on the whole.

Slepyshev has looked solid as a bottom-6 forward and played well in spot duty in the top-6.

There's alot to like in this player, he works hard, has a terrifying shot, and is physical and aggressive despite not being the thickest players. Edit: Also skates well with decent skill

This player had done well so far and I expect as he gets stronger and more experienced he will grow into a consistent and effective player

I regret calling him a non-NHLer a few months back. Him and Pitlick give us the requisite depth in our bottom-6 wings to have a truly dominant group of forwards, top-to-bottom.

If the Oilers are ever to be a good team, we need to have those Wilson/Kunakhl types emerging from late-round selections.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I disagree. Shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot. I wish more guys had this mentality.

Agreed fully. If you are a depth player, fire the friggen puck as much as possible. So many goals are created from rebounds. At worst a shot results in a freezeof play, or a rebound that goes into the corner. We can still retain possession. At worst a spass ends up broken up and an odd man rush

I actually think Cagguila and Slepyshev should be linemates one day. Cagguila because he can dish the puck and pretty good with it (and aggressive to get it). Slepyshev because he can fire the puck

I can see Slepyshev developing into a Pouliot like player. Fast skater, big body, tremendous shot. Good depth winger with skill to play in top 6 the odd time

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Were going to need players like this to round out our bottom 6, mostly that he'll be cheap and can play.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Agreed fully. If you are a depth player, fire the friggen puck as much as possible. So many goals are created from rebounds. At worst a shot results in a freezeof play, or a rebound that goes into the corner. We can still retain possession. At worst a spass ends up broken up and an odd man rush

I actually think Cagguila and Slepyshev should be linemates one day. Cagguila because he can dish the puck and pretty good with it (and aggressive to get it). Slepyshev because he can fire the puck

I can see Slepyshev developing into a Pouliot like player. Fast skater, big body, tremendous shot. Good depth winger with skill to play in top 6 the odd time

Agreed, except I see Slepyshev as being faster, more physical, and having a better shot. So if he can continue to package those skills together, I can see him being better than Pilot. But then again I've always liked shoot-first Russian wingers.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What does it have anything to do with Russian?

Not a fan of his game.

Im actually curious how you could not be a fan of his game. He goes into the tough areas, he forechecks hard and plays a pretty tough grinding game. He is reliable defensively and a solid backchecker good in his own end. The only negative I could think about him is that he is a bit of a puck hog or lacks playmaking skills

Slpeyshev is like a Glencross clone

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
any gifs of the Slepy-Connor bro hug?

A_bEgX.gif

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Im actually curious how you could not be a fan of his game. He goes into the tough areas, he forechecks hard and plays a pretty tough grinding game. He is reliable defensively and a solid backchecker good in his own end. The only negative I could think about him is that he is a bit of a puck hog or lacks playmaking skills

Slpeyshev is like a Glencross clone

The funny thing about your negative is that's what we want others to do more of. With a shot like his, I have no issue with him holding onto the puck and letting that shot rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad