Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Quality player that plays a hard game with a great shot. The guy finishes his body checks and goes out of his way to make the right play at the cost of his body. Very happy he has opened the coaches eyes and forced his way into the lineup. Let's hope he is given a long rope when he starts to struggle.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I've always thought there would be a player there with him. Give him another year or two in an NHL system and he could be a top 6 winger.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Happy he stuck it out. Was and am still worried about the KHL factor partly because it was questioned whether he'd ever make it over in the first place.

His transition has been pretty good if he keeps it up so I'd have to think he sticks for another couple years.

Slepy T-Pitts Pulju and Pou if they all got going at the same time is some great size and speed on the wings.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Happy he stuck it out. Was and am still worried about the KHL factor partly because it was questioned whether he'd ever make it over in the first place.

His transition has been pretty good if he keeps it up so I'd have to think he sticks for another couple years.

Slepy T-Pitts Pulju and Pou if they all got going at the same time is some great size and speed on the wings.

When I talked to my KHL buddies it sounds like Slep burned a few bridges when he told them he was heading to the NHL. Also--Do not know if it is true---but someone told me he was able to move with most of his immediate family to Canada

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Quality player that plays a hard game with a great shot. The guy finishes his body checks and goes out of his way to make the right play at the cost of his body. Very happy he has opened the coaches eyes and forced his way into the lineup. Let's hope he is given a long rope when he starts to struggle.

Slepyshev has 3 goals in 42 games in the NHL and is shooting at 6%. A hard shot =/= a great shot. So far Slepyshev has demonstrated he has a hard shot. His accuracy seems nonexistent. He wasn't a great goal scorer in the AHL or in the KHL either.

Slepyshev is fine, and he works hard out there. But for a guy who has played almost exclusively in the top 9 this year, his offensive production just isn't there. Ditto for Caggiula. The Oilers need an upgrade on both of these guys in the top 9.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Slepyshev has 3 goals in 42 games in the NHL and is shooting at 6%. A hard shot =/= a great shot. So far Slepyshev has demonstrated he has a hard shot. His accuracy seems nonexistent. He wasn't a great goal scorer in the AHL or in the KHL either.

Slepyshev is fine, and he works hard out there. But for a guy who has played almost exclusively in the top 9 this year, his offensive production just isn't there. Ditto for Caggiula. The Oilers need an upgrade on both of these guys in the top 9.

Personally, I think his lack of goals is due to the fact that he doesn't really know how to get into prime scoring areas and that he needs to work on getting his shot off.

I do think he has a pretty wicked shot.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

He has always been a good goal scorer. That was his forte. And his KHL numbers as far as goals scored are actually quite good given his age. His last season in particular was very strong. He really came on in the last half of the year. But even then he still did not get a huge amount of ice time. It's a league where young guys tend not to get much ice time and basically little if any time on the pp.

His first year in the AHL was a bit tough as he had a fair number of injuries.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He has always been a good goal scorer. That was his forte. And his KHL numbers as far as goals scored are actually quite good given his age. His last season in particular was very strong. He really came on in the last half of the year. But even then he still did not get a huge amount of ice time. It's a league where young guys tend not to get much ice time and basically little if any time on the pp.

His first year in the AHL was a bit tough as he had a fair number of injuries.

I'm having trouble reconciling goal scoring being his "forte" and 3 goals in 42 games in the NHL. Matt Hendricks has as many goals in his past 10 games.

I like Slepyshev, I think he has a place on the 4th line today, and a place higher in the lineup in the future depending on how he develops. But he's one of the weak links in the teams top 9 right now.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I'm having trouble reconciling goal scoring being his "forte" and 3 goals in 42 games in the NHL. Matt Hendricks has as many goals in his past 10 games.

I like Slepyshev, I think he has a place on the 4th line today, and a place higher in the lineup in the future depending on how he develops. But he's one of the weak links in the teams top 9 right now.

Slepyshev is a player where any offensive production is a complete bonus because he is so strong defensively. This is what separates him from Hendricks/Caggiula/Kassian IMO.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The word was is important here. My response was addressing your claim that he was not a great goal scorer in the KHL and the AHL.
As I said, as a prospect his goal scoring in the KHL was actually quite good and he has scored at the junior level in several tournaments. He was always seen as a guy with a heavy shot. As far as accuracy goes is your evidence based solely on SH% because if so the sample size is way to small to say anything about that. Right now what you can say is that he gets shots on net. He has 1 missed shot for every 4.5 on goal which is actually a very good ratio. Though not every shot on net is "accurate" or every missed shot a sign of inaccuracy.

In the NHL he is being asked to play a hard, defensively sound game. And he is still a rookie so how much his offensive game we will see is still yet to be determined.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oilers don't like guys with great shots on the PP. We like guys who either shoots it to the crest or the shinpads

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

First full year in the NHL. In the KHL he had 15 goals in 58 games (21 prorated). When you convert that to NHLe youd get around 15 goals

I do see Slepyshev scoring 10/15 goals next year or year after. I agree with poster above that he doesnt really know how to get into the prime shooting areas right now. Hes ripping pucks from anywhere and everywhere (which I love grinders to do). I think once he finds way to get into prime areas his goal totals will go up

Slepyshev has 2 MASSIVE goals this year, both coming vs Calgary in the opening of the games. So I am happy with him just for that

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
This team has so many players who want to make "one more pass", it's refreshing (and necessary) to have a guy who knows to just put the puck on the net. His shot is a pretty good one too.

That willingness to shoot makes him a perfect compliment to the Lucic/Draisaitl line, but also an asset to any of our centers, who are generally more puck distributor types. It also helps with the net-front/crease crashing wingers.

In another thread, I talked about Hemsky and why the current makeup of the team may not be the best situation for him, but it's exactly the opposite for a guy like Slepyshev. This team in it's current state is a perfect situation for him, and in many ways, he's the perfect fit for this team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This team has so many players who want to make "one more pass", it's refreshing (and necessary) to have a guy who knows to just put the puck on the net. His shot is a pretty good one too.

That willingness to shoot makes him a perfect compliment to the Lucic/Draisaitl line, but also an asset to any of our centers, who are generally more puck distributor types. It also helps with the net-front/crease crashing wingers.

In another thread, I talked about Hemsky and why the current makeup of the team may not be the best situation for him, but it's exactly the opposite for a guy like Slepyshev. This team in it's current state is a perfect situation for him, and in many ways, he's the perfect fit for this team.

Bingo. This is why I think Puljujarvi will thrive here in time as well. We need some shoot first players who fill fire it from anywhere if given the chance

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

Pretty well, but I'd even go as far as giving him a few games with Maroon and McDavid, it can only increase his confidence. Once JP is ready for the big show, future may look very good for our top 2 RW'ers

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Pretty well, but I'd even go as far as giving him a few games with Maroon and McDavid, it can only increase his confidence. Once JP is ready for the big show, future may look very good for our top 2 RW'ers

I'd put him with RNH, personally.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't understand how he hasn't seen PP time. He's got the big shot on the LW which would be perfect. Instead we have Maroon and Eberle playing on their strong sides and 0 one timer options on the 2nd unit. Boggles my mind. I'd at least give him a shot over Caggiula.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Slepyshev has been good.

.85 GA/60 while he's on the ice.

That's absolutely redonkulous.

Now maybe he's been a little lucky and obviously some credit goes to his linemates and goalie to have a number that low... but you literally could double that stat and he'd still be putting up a number near the top of the NHL.

He's obviously doing better than ok defensively.

His offense has been ok as well.

On first glance... sure his numbers aren't huge BUT as many have pointed out... he gets no PP time... literally 1 minute so far this season... so no stat padding possible there.

Also... his pts/60 at 5 on 5 is lowish at 1.36 BUT look at some other supposedly good offensive players:

Eberle 1.44
RNH 1.30
Lucic 1.00
Pouliot 0.98

I'm not saying it's ok that he has low numbers just because others are crapping the bed as well... but secondary scoring is obviously an issue this season and he's caught up in that team abyss as well.

One interesting stat is his IPP (individual pts %)... which is actually very high at 88.9%... which shows when he's on the ice and the team scores... he's usually a part of that. Good sign imo that he's a decent contributor.

Overall I like that he generates shots and chances (even though his conversion rate is low) and I like that he is solid defensively.

IMO he's certainly an elite 4th line talent at the very, very worst at this stage.

His pts/60 amongst forwards with 300+ minutes in the NHL actually puts him at #223... that's actually 3rd line offensive talent.

His GA/60 is basically off the charts good (again some luck involved no doubt in that stat)... but he certainly is not hurting the team at all when out there at 5 on 5.

I'm not sure what more you can ask of someone that doesn't play on the top lines and doesn't get PP time at all.

I'd expect that type of player to be responsible defensively and generate shots and contribute at a bottom 6 rate offensively... and that's exactly what he's doing.

Slepyshev is NOT a problem on this team and in fact is a strong asset going forward with good upside.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I like how everyone is worried about secondary scoring and yet we are 4th in the west for GF.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I like how everyone is worried about secondary scoring and yet we are 4th in the west for GF.

Because Eberle, RNH, Pouliot, and Lucic aren't playing at their expectations which is a clear worry. If all 4 players were able to produce, the teams wouldn't have an issue with secondary scoring along with the blender of the lines especially 19, 97, and 29.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I've loved Slepyshev's game, but I think he will be sent down pre-deadline (as long as he doesn't have to go on waivers) with Khaira able to be the 4th line center and balance found elsewhere, I think he might end up the odd man out right now, but will be recalled after the rosters expand, imo.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've loved Slepyshev's game, but I think he will be sent down pre-deadline (as long as he doesn't have to go on waivers) with Khaira able to be the 4th line center and balance found elsewhere, I think he might end up the odd man out right now, but will be recalled after the rosters expand, imo.

I'd almost keep him down there just to get some play in. If we ever did add another forward which it sounds like we probably will, he'll be even further down the depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad