Player Discussion Anthony DeAngelo (Mod warning in OP and post 197. READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
As a Coyotes fan, I want to ease your guys's nerves. You guys have a young player who plays like a mix of Yandle/Boyle. This dude oozes talent. He will stand out almost immediately.

He seemed to gel well with his teammates here. Our good character guys like Duclair, Domi, and Murphy all seemed pretty tight with DeAngelo, so I don't think he is a cancer in the locker room.

He's just a hot head. If he can get his temper under control and his priorities in check, you guys got a steal of a player. Good luck next season.

This is great to hear. Thanks for stopping by!

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i worry how being back home will affect the kid...

he got to the way he was somehow...something influenced him to think the way he does and say the things he said...now i get some of it is jsut immaturity..but some of it is who influences him...

does being back home open himself back up to those influences?

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
i worry how being back home will affect the kid...

he got to the way he was somehow...something influenced him to think the way he does and say the things he said...now i get some of it is jsut immaturity..but some of it is who influences him...

does being back home open himself back up to those influences?

I'm definitely concerned. People don't become racist, sexist or homophobic in a vacuum. Usually the influence of family or friends is to blame.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'm definitely concerned. People don't become racist, sexist or homophobic in a vacuum. Usually the influence of family or friends is to blame.

His Dad. He comes from south Philly area. Even his dad said its how it is. "It is isnt right but its how it is". Not an excuse, but watched a few interviews. Get a good idea of him and his off-ice crap here...

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So if his dad is the negative influence in his life...why are the Rangers bringing him into their organization where his dad can have even more of an impact?

Ugh.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I am 100% on board with giving him a fair shot and knowing that kids grow up and he learns to just keep quiet and let his game do the talking. I also totally get why he is the way he is ... I don't agree with it, but I get it ... and as long as he can mature and not let his temper get the best of him and his skill develops, it's a great trade.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Reminds me of a young Dan Boyle in almost every way.

If he lives up to even close to that, we've got something special.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i think theres something there with this move. its been mentioned before.

this team seemed very vanilla. very laid back and very subdued. no emotion and no sizzle. seemed like they hardly cared at times. there was no swagger nor was there any sandpaper to their game. just smooth, shiny finesse when they won and the same when they lost.

its ok to lose. everyone loses games. my problem, dont look so ok with losing. get angry. show some emotion. show you care. have some fire in your belly.

i think adding deangelo will help change the identity of this team. he adds some hot sauce to a pretty bland group. when 5'8 zuc is your only emotional player and the guy who shows the most scrap, thats a bad thing.

if deangelos got talent to back up the chirping, bring it on. if he get s under their skin, great. were too easy to play against anyway. if he can stir the pot, stir away. ive been wishing for some attitude for years.

if i could add another guy like tony i would. im sick of watching this team not fight back and seem so chill when they lose.

part of the reason i want smith resigned. guys got a heart beat. i like that about him.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
You can be a gritty competitor on the ice without being a total ******* off the ice. just saying.

People can also grow up and mature too. So he called a teammate a homophobic slur when he was a teenager. Not great, but come on, he was a kid and hopefully he learned from it. Most people are not fully formed adults at 16 or 17.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
People can also grow up and mature too. So he called a teammate a homophobic slur when he was a teenager. Not great, but come on, he was a kid and hopefully he learned from it. Most people are not fully formed adults at 16 or 17.

I dont care what he said or did when he was 16. We all did stupid **** in that age. My opinion on him is from his twitter mostly.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
1. Really impressive skating skills, doesn't seem to have a big point shot.

2. Either a kid that just made some dumb comments or a jerk.
Only time will tell. Hopefully improved in Arizona.

3. His looks to be a little bit undersized for a NHL Dman in todays NHL.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Second and final warning. If you want a thread about this kid, talk about his play and his not his views in any fashion.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I dont care what he said or did when he was 16. We all did stupid **** in that age. My opinion on him is from his twitter mostly.

If I judged celebrities/sports figures by their twitter, I would have almost no one left to follow or root for.

The kid will be fine. Someones beliefs outside the sport shouldn't matter. What he does on and off the ice during his tenure in our organization should be the only thing that matters. I don't care what he did before being a Ranger or what he does after being a Ranger.

I have a feeling he is going to be a fan favorite by the end of the season and I can then bring up this thread and poke fun at the some of the absurd things that are being said. :)

Do we have any point predictions for him?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Second and final warning. If you want a thread about this kid, talk about his play and his not his views in any fashion.

I think it should be completely fair to talk about the stuff that has gotten him into trouble in the past. Racial and homophobic remarks, etc. If we can't talk about that then close the damn thread

re: his twitter and political views, I'm fine with leaving those out as they're probably only relevant if he's been engaging in behavior that would clearly and unequivocally create an issue with teammates, but it's not something where we should all be arguing about politics on a personal level.

All that said, I'm far more concerned about the stuff that got him in trouble in the AHL since all we've heard about that has been "maturity issues". What did he do? Is it cause for concern going forward, since it's stuff that has happened more recently than stuff he did when he was 16.

Also would like some more highlights of what this kid can do

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I don't agree with anything he did while a teenager or his views now but I'm willing to give him a chance because he seems like just the type of defensemen we've been looking for for a while now. I'm very much rooting for him to succeed here and for him to just grow up and play great hockey for us.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
If I judged celebrities/sports figures by their twitter, I would have almost no one left to follow or root for.

The kid will be fine. Someones beliefs outside the sport shouldn't matter. What he does on and off the ice during his tenure in our organization should be the only thing that matters. I don't care what he did before being a Ranger or what he does after being a Ranger.

I have a feeling he is going to be a fan favorite by the end of the season and I can then bring up this thread and poke fun at the some of the absurd things that are being said. :)

Do we have any point predictions for him?

They all have PR people assigned to them. This kid needs one asap.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think it should be completely fair to talk about the stuff that has gotten him into trouble in the past. Racial and homophobic remarks, etc. If we can't talk about that then close the damn thread

re: his twitter and political views, I'm fine with leaving those out as they're probably only relevant if he's been engaging in behavior that would clearly and unequivocally create an issue with teammates, but it's not something where we should all be arguing about politics on a personal level.

All that said, I'm far more concerned about the stuff that got him in trouble in the AHL since all we've heard about that has been "maturity issues". What did he do? Is it cause for concern going forward, since it's stuff that has happened more recently than stuff he did when he was 16.

Also would like some more highlights of what this kid can do

We are putting the ax on the first part because it keeps leading to discussions of politics and the content of his twitter. If this board had been able to discuss A without bringing up B, we wouldn't be having this issue.

Also, he irony here cannot be understated. A bunch of people criticizing his DeAngelos maturity are lacking the maturity to simply abide by the rules set forth in this thread. :popcorn:

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I think being on his third team before he has played 50 games in the bigs should convince him and his family to embrace professionalism, meaning keeping his ****ing mouth shut and letting his on ice play do the talking. He has a chance to get filthy rich while playing in New York City and you just can't let that slip away.

I'm excited to see him play, I'm excited to see Girardi and Stepan off the team and I want to see what happens when we can move the puck fast from the backend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad