Player Discussion Anthony DeAngelo (Mod warning in OP and post 197. READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The end of Clendening in NY wasn't his performance on the ice, it was the hit on Grabner in practice and his reaction to being benched by AV even though he did not deserve it. That's pretty much been speculated since the beat reported Clendening had played his last game as a Ranger well before the last game of the season.

well we will just have to see how he plays when he reaches his next destination. If he doesn't do well at his next stop then maybe its him not his coaches.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lots of things get said on the ice. Don't think it'll be anything worth worrying about.

On twitter, the kid would be wise to keep it professional. I've noticed that he's extremely outspoken.

That's his right, but he's also working for, and representing an organization and league that also have the right to discipline him. Your freedom of speech doesn't apply to the private company you work for and their private rules.

I'd just really like to see the kid keep it smart because he's got an awful lot of talent to waste saying the wrong thing and getting taken off the ice (like Avery with sloppy seconds)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I can very easily see him get Clendo'd or Etem'd, now that I think about it.

Etem is not an NHL player. Clendening is a journeyman who has had several shots with different organizations. Now IMO Adam should have gotten more of a chance than he did but he's a limited player. I think DeAngelo offers a lot more than he does.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Etem is not an NHL player. Clendening is a journeyman who has had several shots with different organizations. Now IMO Adam should have gotten more of a chance than he did but he's a limited player. I think DeAngelo offers a lot more than he does.

That's fine but it doesn't explain why Yandle, Skjei, Smith, and Buchnevich kept finding the bench, while wastes like Glass and Girardi got chance after chance.

AV is very strange and it often can't be explained away by the quality of the player.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
DeAngelo won't see the bench or the AHL. We gave up wayyy too much for him to sit him.

Hes the new Girardi-Staal conundrum. They have to justify trading stepan for him by giving him minutes. Unlike the wonder twins, I think this time itll be a good thing

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
That's fine but it doesn't explain why Yandle, Skjei, Smith, and Buchnevich kept finding the bench, while wastes like Glass and Girardi got chance after chance.

AV is very strange and it often can't be explained away by the quality of the player.
IMO it's two things: (perceived) defensive acumen and attention (though not always backed up by execution, obviously), and reputation/experience/maturity. If Andersson sticks, for example, I can see him getting a Fast-like leash rather than a Buch-like leash, because a) his defense appears to be that good and b) there is no obvious vet to give the benefit of the doubt ahead of him on the depth chart (at the moment).

So, it's not that AV won't give kids a shot (I mean look at Fast, Lindberg, and Skjei), it's that he has little patience for errors of either commission or omission, and if they happen repeatedly, he will then go back to the vet who he can at least trust to know what to do (even if he doesn't do it).

My main problem with him was that last year he was sticking with those vets who knew what to do, but were unable to do it too long. (I also wonder how much of this - on defense anyway - was a result of his defensive coach relying too much on the names on the back of the jerseys.)

The good thing this year - so far - is that the organization as a whole appears more committed to youth.

Last edited:

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I'll take a dude like this when your locker room is filled with goofy cookie cutter personalities. Half the team sound like they're talking from a teleprompter at all times

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He'd played a lot more NHL games when he came here than DeAngelo.

I'm trying to parse out what you're saying. Maybe you could rephrase that. It reads awkwardly.

So I'll just say that Etem played 19 games for us. I don't remember even one of them being particularly good. A very low hockey IQ--at least on NHL terms. He's 25 now---had several years as a pro. If he can't produce on a scoring line he's never going to really make it--because his all around game sucks. I think his career as a pro in North America is about over.

If the Rangers sign both Smith and Shattenkirk to play the right side then it will look worse for DeAngelo's chances. I don't see it happening. I think the Rangers will try to sign one or the other. Right now though the path is clear. Personally I don't think the Rangers move Stepan for a player they don't plan on using.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Although that is a fair point, those were all players acquired under Sathers tenure. This was a BIG move from Gorton. If AV ****s it up, doesn't play DeAngelo and the team sucks, it makes Gorton look bad as well. He has traded away two core pieces in two years and moved out a few others. This is no longer Sathers team. This is Gortons team. Gorton is responsible for AV the same way AV is responsible for his assistant coaches and that is part of the reason why I think Beuk is gone. AV is feeling the heat.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
DeAngelo has had two years as a pro. The first entirely in the AHL and the second split between the AHL and NHL. He won't be 22 until October. It's not like there are a whole lot of d-men that hit the NHL as 19, 20 year olds---not on a good team anyway and DeAngelo's first year was in the Tampa organization--a very good team that went to the Cup finals. Which is to say his progress as a player has been fine up until now--considering all the on and off ice problems he's had--his lack of discipline. That part of it is up to him--he could ruin his career over dumb ****. He needs to take a step to becoming an adult--if he does he should be fine.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm trying to parse out what you're saying. Maybe you could rephrase that. It reads awkwardly.
At the time of their respective trades to the Rangers, Etem had 112 NHL games under his belt, DeAngelo 39. I don't dispute that Etem isn't an NHL player, but why are we so sure DeAngelo is?

So I'll just say that Etem played 19 games for us. I don't remember even one of them being particularly good. A very low hockey IQ--at least on NHL terms. He's 25 now---had several years as a pro. If he can't produce on a scoring line he's never going to really make it--because his all around game sucks. I think his career as a pro in North America is about over.
And I don't really give a **** about Etem. I have no remorse about letting him go. But he was the main piece in a trade for a long-time Ranger forward. He begrudgingly got 19 games.

What's concerning, to me, about DeAngelo's chances to hit the ground running with regular ice-time is that every other defenseman with a reputation for being suspect in their own zone that's come to the Rangers has struggled to find ice time under AV. I don't see how so many are able to gloss over this.

If the Rangers sign both Smith and Shattenkirk to play the right side then it will look worse for DeAngelo's chances. I don't see it happening. I think the Rangers will try to sign one or the other. Right now though the path is clear. Personally I don't think the Rangers move Stepan for a player they don't plan on using.
Did you think they would with Hagelin?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Not happy about this part of the deal. Initial talk of Dvorak, Domi. Maybe the 7th and their 2nd. Instead they add a need. Offensive Dman, RHS. That's great. But, I hate the idea of adding a personality like this. Don't agree at all that it's what the team needs. Some people here still want E Kane for the same reasons. I don't get it . It's as if some feel that having a negative influence is good because it's different.

I hope the kid finds his game. Hope he can figure it out, and add value he was projected to be when he was drafted. NY is a tremendous place, with lots of opportunity for a bay boy to find trouble. Can this guy walk the line here?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
At the time of their respective trades to the Rangers, Etem had 112 NHL games under his belt, DeAngelo 39. I don't dispute that Etem isn't an NHL player, but why are we so sure DeAngelo is?

And I don't really give a **** about Etem. I have no remorse about letting him go. But he was the main piece in a trade for a long-time Ranger forward. He begrudgingly got 19 games.

What's concerning, to me, about DeAngelo's chances to hit the ground running with regular ice-time is that every other defenseman with a reputation for being suspect in their own zone that's come to the Rangers has struggled to find ice time under AV. I don't see how so many are able to gloss over this.

Did you think they would with Hagelin?

Etem was a couple years older when we got him as well and a winger. D-men usually take a bit more development than forwards.

But really I haven't seen DeAngelo play very much but what I've read about him reminds me of a young Dan Boyle.

Hagelin got moved over cap issues. He was one of my favorite players and I wasn't happy about it. At the time I would have rather moved Nash than Hagelin. I don't think anyone thought we got fair value back from Anaheim for him.

Not having seen DeAngelo much I'd rather not say on his supposed defense issues. If he skates and passes well and has snarl--that's something. I expect more than a Del Zotto. We'll see. I expect him to make the team though and play most if not all the games this year---but again we'll see. If it's not him--it's going to be another kid like Bereglazov or Pionk. Personally the defenseman that I'm wondering the most about as far as whether he is capable or not?--is Staal.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I can very easily see him get Clendo'd or Etem'd, now that I think about it.

thats 100% how im seeing it as of right now...im not sure hes going to stick...he needs to be good in his own zone, or have the last name Staal or Girardi...he doesnt have the last 2...so hes gonna have a super short leash.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Are some folks really hating on this kid before he skates in a game as a Ranger? I had hoped we could at least wait until after warmups of a preseason game for us :)

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
As a Coyotes fan, I want to ease your guys's nerves. You guys have a young player who plays like a mix of Yandle/Boyle. This dude oozes talent. He will stand out almost immediately.

He seemed to gel well with his teammates here. Our good character guys like Duclair, Domi, and Murphy all seemed pretty tight with DeAngelo, so I don't think he is a cancer in the locker room.

He's just a hot head. If he can get his temper under control and his priorities in check, you guys got a steal of a player. Good luck next season.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As a Coyotes fan, I want to ease your guys's nerves. You guys have a young player who plays like a mix of Yandle/Boyle. This dude oozes talent. He will stand out almost immediately.

He seemed to gel well with his teammates here. Our good character guys like Duclair, Domi, and Murphy all seemed pretty tight with DeAngelo, so I don't think he is a cancer in the locker room.

He's just a hot head. If he can get his temper under control and his priorities in check, you guys got a steal of a player. Good luck next season.

That is great to hear. Im optimistic!

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

Skjei and Buch were rookies and it was bench during regular season. Buch was not good in the playoffs and went on the bench for that reason (when he did).

Defense pairings were seemingly majorly controlled by Beuk - there was even that leak of Gorton talking to the coaches mid-playoffs because of late-game usage. Beuk has subsequently been demoted. I have a feeling Gorton did not like how Beuk favored Girardi/Staal/etc.

I'll remain optimistic, but I understand the caution that a few of you are pushing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Yeah, from my own research, it definitely felt like he has being more of a hothead and letting his temper get the best of him, and this wasn't his regular demeaner.

I'm excited to see where his talent will carry him with the Rangers. He'll see a familiar face in Skjei.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad