Player Discussion Anthony DeAngelo (Mod warning in OP and post 197. READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gorton seemed very high on him. Hopefully he makes it with a better locker room behind him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I mean, he has 39 NHL games in his career. Defensemen with similar strengths and weaknesses have struggled to get ice time under AV. Are we supposed to believe he's a lock for regular minutes?

He will play under AV. whether he plays top 4 minutes IDK. Skjei played in the 2016 playoffs against a superior stanley cup champs and played throughout a slump in 2017 when some fans wanted him to sit.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Wow another non-AV thread quickly turning into lets bash the coach thread lol

Well this is a thread about DeAngelo's potential ice-time and historically it is the coach that most often gives out ice time to the players, so I think people being concerned about AV not giving DA the same treatment as guys he favors such as Holden is relevant. Yandle, Clendening. There is a precedent set here.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
They didn't target him as part of a trade for our 1C only to let AV bury him. He isn't some scrub we signed. That would be the end of AV's tenure here.

That's pretty much the only hope here is JG isn't going to let AV ruin this kid without getting a fair shot.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Well this is a thread about DeAngelo's potential ice-time and historically it is the coach that most often gives out ice time to the players, so I think people being concerned about AV not giving DA the same treatment as guys he favors such as Holden is relevant. Yandle, Clendening. There is a precedent set here.

I like clendo but lets see how he plays when he joins his 6th team in what 4 years? I guess they were all goofballs and ruined him just like AV.
You're guess is as good as mine that he starts opening night but my opinion is he will.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I mean, he has 39 NHL games in his career. Defensemen with similar strengths and weaknesses have struggled to get ice time under AV. Are we supposed to believe he's a lock for regular minutes?

Difference is Deangelo is leagues more talented.. this isn't clendening or mcilraith or Connor Allen if you wanna go back a couple years.

This kid can play 2nd pair. And if he keeps growing he'll be special

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I like clendo but lets see how he plays when he joins his 6th team in what 4 years?
You're guess is as good as mine that he starts opening night but my opinion is he will.

Yeah, let's ignore that this is DeAngelo's third franchise in three years. This argument doesn't mean anything, but I just find it funny you'd pull it out on Clendening in defense of DeAngelo :)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
While I think it is an easy comparison to make, I don't see him getting a short leash a la Clendening or Etem

This guy was a main returning piece of a deal that traded away the teams 1C

He will be given the leeway to grow his game

That said I expect him to settle as a 2nd pairing guy. I think Skjei and him could thrive as a pairing

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
They didn't target him as part of a trade for our 1C only to let AV bury him. He isn't some scrub we signed. That would be the end of AV's tenure here.
tZ3Aa02.png

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
While I think it is an easy comparison to make, I don't see him getting a short leash a la Clendening or Etem

This guy was a main returning piece of a deal that traded away the teams 1C

He will be given the leeway to grow his game

That said I expect him to settle as a 2nd pairing guy. I think Skjei and him could thrive as a pairing

If you are talking about straight away, I think that AV (and a lot of other coaches) would consider that too risky, and look for combos that allow for two rookies not to play together. Could certainly see it in the future if things go well

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's gonna play, they didn't trade Stepan and Raanta for a guy to sit in the press box. AV ain't gonna have a say in this unless D'Angelo really sucks bad

They traded Hagelin for a guy to sit in the press box.

They trade Duclair and a first for a guy to sit on the third pair.

They traded a 2nd and 3rd for Smith to "get lost on the bench" in the playoffs.

AV does what AV feels like.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If you are talking about straight away, I think that AV (and a lot of other coaches) would consider that too risky, and look for combos that allow for two rookies not to play together. Could certainly see it in the future if things go well

Oh I agree, he probably would be suited for a third pairing role at first, but they may have to abandon that whole "pairing young guys with vets" thing this season. A lot of young guys on the team this year

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I realize there's a lot of pent-up anger here regarding AV (or was it the now absent Beuke's...?) assignment of PT on D, but bear in mind:

Girardi gone.
Klein making noise about retiring.
Staal possibly traded (hey, a fella can dream)

Barring SIGNIFICANT additions, he's going to HAVE to play. I mean, think about it: as of right this moment, he's our first pair RHD...

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yeah, let's ignore that this is DeAngelo's third franchise in three years. This argument doesn't mean anything, but I just find it funny you'd pull it out on Clendening in defense of DeAngelo :)

Many would say its not his hockey ability but rather other things that made this his third team in three years.
This will be clendo's sixth team and he has not issues outside of hockey abilities that i'm aware of.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Many would say its not his hockey ability but rather other things that made this his third team in three years.
This will be clendo's sixth team and he has not issues outside of hockey abilities that i'm aware of.

I'm not certain that makes this any better.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Difference is Deangelo is leagues more talented.. this isn't clendening or mcilraith or Connor Allen if you wanna go back a couple years.

This kid can play 2nd pair. And if he keeps growing he'll be special

Thank you. Skjei has grown and flourished. will continue to do so. Many on here even doubted that skjei would do so (Just check back to thread on skjei before last season started).

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
been discussed here before as someone i would like us to acquire.

all this talk of a righty pmd who can add a dynamic to this defense we are lacking. that was the guy i wanted.

then the whole erik karlsson thing in the playoffs and seeing what a puck mover, possession type guy can do to create chances and open up the ice.

he played here for the syr crunch and was clearly a talented, skating, distributing type dman with some sizzle to his game. he always impressed me as kid with endless talent. very composed and calm with the puck on his stick.

his upside would be that of a top 4 dman playing top pp minute and letting the pp run through him. he can manage the puck up top better than anyone we have now. period. not even close.

this kid will impress. he will stand out not just for what he can do, but also for how much better he looks on the pp point than anyone else on our roster. this kid was built to run a pp. his skill set is very strong. nifty hands and his skating is very good. his shot is sneaky hard and he hits the net. hell score goals off the rush and make it look easy.

hes also fiesty and has some snarl. he's not big but he's junkyard dog tough. you won't confuse him with a defensive damn- he's a puck moving uptempo player who drives the puck deep and makes smart passes. he no slouch defensively but he's more the take the puck away type than the man up body type.

hes fast and he's able to bring some pressure from the blue line. i think this kid will catch alot of you by surprise.

the nyr have been looking at this kid for awhile. he's exactly what they have lacked and what they needed to add to this defense.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
And it's not just AV. DeAngelo played 39 NHL games last season. I believe Arizona played 82. This isn't an established NHL player. He's a long-term asset for the Rangers. If he doesn't see regular minutes next season, big wh**p.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

The end of Clendening in NY wasn't his performance on the ice, it was the hit on Grabner in practice and his reaction to being benched by AV even though he did not deserve it. That's pretty much been speculated since the beat reported Clendening had played his last game as a Ranger well before the last game of the season.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm not certain that makes this any better.

for the point and conversation it makes it relevant. If the kid has off or on ice disciplinary issues than of course that could effect his nhl career negatively no matter who is coaching him.
Comparing skill set and on ice ability he is on a different level than clendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad