Another Downie Incident

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
AG said:
Im just wondering why it just seems that mostly Flyers fans are defending him. Strange, very strange.......

I don't see that at all. Visit an OHL board, as I've already said, and see how divided fans of all teams are. It seems to be similar here also. There's a lot of Flyer fans that are against it. There's fans of other teams saying it's not a big deal, which is exactly it. It's not a big deal.

Perhaps it's because he's Steve Downie? Strange, very strange.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
It is interesting to note that again in tonights Sudbury-Peterborough game that Downie called on McQuaid. McQuaid dropped the gloves and Downie skated away. I believe Downie received a penalty this time.

bluef0x*

TheFinalWord said:
It is interesting to note that again in tonights Sudbury-Peterborough game that Downie called on McQuaid. McQuaid dropped the gloves and Downie skated away. I believe Downie received a penalty this time.

So, what are you going to say now trippy? What's your excuse??

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If this was the first, or even the second incident involving Steve Downie I'd be willing to say that he just needs to tone down his temper bit. But given the history of insane, stupid, and downright crazy things he's done, I have to say that there's got to be something seriously wrong with him.

For all the good he did in the WJCs I hope he makes the NHL, but someone needs to reign him in and tell him that this kind of crap won't cut it at the higher levels. There's a difference between playing on the edge and being a detriment to your team and league.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
bluef0x said:

Don't take a poster's word as gospel without doing your own research.

Downie only took one penalty in the game, a 2 minute minor for unsportsmanlike conduct, along with McQuaid who took the same penalty at the same time. I did not see the game, I was busy watching my team win 8-0.

What do you want me to say? He took a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct along with someone else, what's your point? What am I making excuses for? I don't know that McQuaid dropped the gloves and Downie skated away. Do you know for sure? Did you watch the game? I'm not taking anyone's word in this thread after all of the blatantly biased and uninformed opinions already expressed.

Although, I shouldn't even give you this much. As I already told you, take your lacking-in-substance posts elsewhere. You don't have an argument.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Panasonic Youth said:
What did he do that was so god aweful?

Yeah, it's not like Downie called him a f-g or anything. That would would be a black eye for the league.

Just kidding, there, actually. What Downie did was look like the psycho in the movie Slapshot. IMHO, that type of behaviour sets a very bad example to any kids watching the game. It is way more detrimental to the sport than Brett Liscomb calling Steve Downie a f-g. Let's see what the Prince of Englightenment -- OHL commissioner Dave Branch -- does about this. He's already proven he's got his priorities out of whack by suspending Dave Bolland four games for kicking an opponent. (That's one less game than Liscomb got, by the way for those of you who didn't hear.)

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
OK- let me get this straight. The majority of Flyer fans (team Downie was drafted by) don't think it's a big deal. Ranger fans (Philly's arch- rival) despise Downie's antics and think he's an animal (even though they have Kasparitis and Hollweg) A Leaf fan or two (team Philly always eliminates) feel the same way (even though they have Tucker).

The OHL (the only one that matters at this point) says no foul.

THE END!!!

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
bluef0x said:

What do you want him to say? I apologize for not following your little pissing contest, but Downie is an agitator - this is his job. You may not like it, but he does it very well.

Is the fact that he skated away supposed to surprise everyone and prove some sort of point? EVERY person in the game has skated away from a fight at one time or another because they realize that there is a time and a place for it. When everyone was piling on in the melee, Downie wanted in, but perhaps the kid "without a brain" figured he'd be more helpful to his team on the ice, than in the box, in this scenario. However, I'm not willing to infer to such great lengths as most of you will - I freely admit this is speculation as I have not seen the latest tape.

This incident has very little to do with the incident itself, and more to do with Downie and his "reputation-" in itself nothing more than a bunch of misrepresentations and stereotypes.

Last time I checked, none of you were on the Spitfires bus when that **** went down. Brent Sutter isn't the type of guy to just take any prima on his team, and Downie was no exception.

priceperlb*

Oct 8, 2005
Stick to the face? Seen many players do it. Yzerman comes to mind during a playoff game. Zhitnik fiegned a lack of control while swinging at a guys head once. There are tons of incidents like it and even worse in the NHL already. Two hander at the ankles? Isn't that the most common move of a goalie anymore? Besides it's done with regularity behind the play.

The only difference is the other guys reaction. In the NHL they're either skating away after the first couple taps or gripping him up. Quit crying about it already.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Phlyerphan said:
OK- let me get this straight. The majority of Flyer fans (team Downie was drafted by) don't think it's a big deal. Ranger fans (Philly's arch- rival) despise Downie's antics and think he's an animal (even though they have Kasparitis and Hollweg) A Leaf fan or two (team Philly always eliminates) feel the same way (even though they have Tucker).

The OHL (the only one that matters at this point) says no foul.

THE END!!!

not sure you can compare Kasparitis to Downie, not even close. I was never a fan of Hollweg but he is not a regular player for the Rangers. They insert him to offset the teams with hard checkers/goons ...Toronto, Devils, Philadelphia etc. Tucker might be a better comparison.

The Flyers have a long history of agitators and playoff failures. That is why they picked a player like Downie, no?

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
DarthSather99 said:
not sure you can compare Kasparitis to Downie, not even close. I was never a fan of Hollweg but he is not a regular player for the Rangers. They insert him to offset the teams with hard checkers/goons ...Toronto, Devils, Philadelphia etc. Tucker might be a better comparison.

The Flyers have a long history of agitators and playoff failures. That is why they picked a player like Downie, no?

Just pointing out Ranger/Leaf fans hate Downie, as Flyer fans hate Kasparitis/Hollweg/Tucker. All 4 players are known to do stupid things. If Downie was picked by the Blueshirts, the tables would be turned on this thread.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
From what i've been reading about Downie it looks like the Eric Johnson hit at the WJC was well deserved. :biglaugh:

:clap:

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
BigE said:
What do you want him to say? I apologize for not following your little pissing contest, but Downie is an agitator - this is his job. You may not like it, but he does it very well.

Is the fact that he skated away supposed to surprise everyone and prove some sort of point? EVERY person in the game has skated away from a fight at one time or another because they realize that there is a time and a place for it. When everyone was piling on in the melee, Downie wanted in, but perhaps the kid "without a brain" figured he'd be more helpful to his team on the ice, than in the box, in this scenario. However, I'm not willing to infer to such great lengths as most of you will - I freely admit this is speculation as I have not seen the latest tape.

This incident has very little to do with the incident itself, and more to do with Downie and his "reputation-" in itself nothing more than a bunch of misrepresentations and stereotypes.

Last time I checked, none of you were on the Spitfires bus when that **** went down. Brent Sutter isn't the type of guy to just take any prima on his team, and Downie was no exception.

Great post. Good to see a fan of another team with his head on straight. :clap:

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Wow.. what a nut. For the people who think that was nothing .. your on something. A 2 hander to the foot (on the lances, with no pads) can break your foot easily. I know, because it happened to one of my teammates. I was coming back from a back injury so i was playing a few games with my jr B team until i was ready to jump back up to the A team, a slash after the whistle broke one of my teammates foot. Now i usually refuse to fight at that level ( being that im 6'5 235 and are used to scraping with bigger stronger players) but that was just uncalled for. I proceed to beat the **** outa guy, but the kid wouldn’t go down...finally bloodied and broken nosed he dropped.. then the reff came up to me and said " thanks, that kid pulls **** like that all the time and gets away with it" and they only gave me 2 mins in the box. Moral of the story.. you try and break someone’s foot.. you deserve to get your a** kicked.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
pucks1 said:
Wow.. what a nut. For the people who think that was nothing .. your on something. A 2 hander to the foot (on the lances, with no pads) can break your foot easily. I know, because it happened to one of my teammates. I was coming back from a back injury so i was playing a few games with my jr B team until i was ready to jump back up to the A team, a slash after the whistle broke one of my teammates foot. Now i usually refuse to fight at that level ( being that im 6'5 235 and are used to scraping with bigger stronger players) but that was just uncalled for. I proceed to beat the **** outa guy, but the kid wouldn’t go down...finally bloodied and broken nosed he dropped.. then the reff came up to me and said " thanks, that kid pulls **** like that all the time and gets away with it" and they only gave me 2 mins in the box. Moral of the story.. you try and break someone’s foot.. you deserve to get your a** kicked.

So the ref completely disregarded the rules because he didn't like the kid? Great league. :shakehead

Either that, or you're grossly exaggerating. Somehow 2 minutes in the box doesn't equate to beating the **** out of a guy.

bluef0x*

trippyime said:
So the ref completely disregarded the rules because he didn't like the kid? Great league. :shakehead

Either that, or you're grossly exaggerating. Somehow 2 minutes in the box doesn't equate to beating the **** out of a guy.

And it's ok two two-hand slash the ankle and high stick McQuaid?
Don't be a hypocrite...

Roger's Pancreas*

bluef0x said:
And it's ok two two-hand slash the ankle and high stick McQuaid?
Don't be a hypocrite...

Learn what "hypocrite" means first before calling someone that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
if he was a Ranger prospect you probably would try and defend him.

Why in the world would you say something so stupid as that?

A player who plays hard like Hollweg I will defend most of his boderline stuff and I have.

But with the blatantly dangerous/bad **** (really, the only one so far has been that nasty cheap hit on Umberger) than I will blast him for it.

If any one of our prospects did something like this, I would blast them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad