Another Downie Incident

Sammy*

Greg7 said:
That is exactly the point. It would drive me nuts, and I'd probably try to kill him for it, which is exactly what he wants. My point is it isn't dangerous, it's just a pest being a pest. If this is "Another Downie Incident" then so is every time he jaws with a guy or slashes a guy in the back of the legs, or facewashes someone in the corner, or whatever. The slashes weren't even close to hard enough to do any real damage, and the stick on the face barely touched him. Annoying? yes, extremely, that was the idea, but dangerous? hardly.
The chops could hurt alot, the stick to the face just goes way outside the bounds, potential damage or not.

Sammy*

Charlie_Girl said:
Holy exaggeration Batman!!

Look, I'm not at all endorsing what Downie did - as far as I'm concerned he was acting like a total *** - but put it into perspective.

As a side note, Downie has not been suspended.
He didnt run his blade across the side of the guys face?
I guess I'll watch it again.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Charlie_Girl said:
Holy exaggeration Batman!!

Look, I'm not at all endorsing what Downie did - as far as I'm concerned he was acting like a total *** - but put it into perspective.

As a side note, Downie has not been suspended.

Yeah, which is ridiculous. Should've gotten a game or two for that.

How is it an exaggeration, though? He ran his stick blade across the guys face. It wasn't hard, but he still ran it across his face.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Greg7 said:
That is exactly the point. It would drive me nuts, and I'd probably try to kill him for it, which is exactly what he wants. My point is it isn't dangerous, it's just a pest being a pest. If this is "Another Downie Incident" then so is every time he jaws with a guy or slashes a guy in the back of the legs, or facewashes someone in the corner, or whatever. The slashes weren't even close to hard enough to do any real damage, and the stick on the face barely touched him. Annoying? yes, extremely, that was the idea, but dangerous? hardly.

Any time you bring your stick that close to someone's eye on purpose, it is dangerous. What if McQuaid jerked a little bit and the stick ends up grazing his eye, potentially causing irreparable damage to his eyes. Considering how delicate that area of the body is and how integral it is to hockey players, it is a very dangerous move and incredibly careless.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:

How is it an exaggeration, though? He ran his stick blade across the guys face. It wasn't hard, but he still ran it across his face.
I agree - he should have been suspended a game or two, for being a jackass if for no other reason. Tonight's game ought to be interesting.

I don't know how much the blade actually touched McQuaid - it touched his visor, for certain, and may have touched the side of his face.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Jon Prescription said:

A game or two for being a real *****? There is no intent to injure, no real risk of injury, and no awful gestures or anything. There's nothing there any more than a 2 minute minor. It's just a guy being a complete jerk, which is his job, and not worthy of suspension.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Panasonic Youth said:
He slashed him in the foot, people do that on a regular basis in the NHL and no one thinks anything of it. He got his stick up a little high but not with any force, just him trying to be a dick and get the other player to finally drop the gloves. After all of it he just gave up and the other kid skated away in perfect health, maybe a bruise on the foot. It's not hockey but it's not back alley brutality as some are making it out to be. I can't see why he would get a suspension aside from him being Downie...

Yea because that is so common in hockey...when a guy wants to fight he puts his stick up into the guys eye. I dont think it really matters how much force hes got going on with his stick if that caught him in the eye. Which he's pretty damn lucky it didnt or he'd be out of the OHL playoffs.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mcquaid clearly wasn't intimidated and didn't even flinch...but i don't know how he was able to just stand there and keep his cool. i think right after the tap on the side of the face by down my reaction in that situation would have been a nice spear to the groin and then repeated cross checks to the head driving his head into the ice until someone pulled me off...

he should be given alot of credit for keeping his cool and not hurting his team...of course if sudbury losses tonight then things might get real nasty on wed.

as far as a suspension goes though had mcquaid reacted then they probably would have suspended both guys, mcquaid for taking his head off and downie for initiating it but because mcquaid didn't respond downie gets away with it because nothing major came from it

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
trippyime said:
Akim Aliu(sp?) was sixteen when he fought Downie who was 18 during practice, and if you take a look at that clip you'll see that Downie took his licks. Downie reminds me of some of the people I play against in my rec league. These little 5 foot somethings that run around cheapshoting people, and they know the refs are there to break fights up if they occur, so they continue playing like little pricks. But when you see them outside after the game, their the most quietiest guys you'll ever meet, because they know if they run their mouth outside, there will be no ref around to protect them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:
Thanks Flyers fan. Sean Avery is just a normal grinding 2nd/3rd line hockey player without the mouth, he is not nearly as cheap as stupid as Downie.

Does anyone have a list of cheapthings this guy has done in his very short career thus far?

Total nutjob.

Is that why anything Avery says is printed on paper? This Flyers fan is a Kings fan too. So that 'you know nothing about Sean Avery' line won't work.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Is that why Avery's name keeps coming up in the media? This Flyers fan is a Kings fan too.
Downie is very much like Avery was in junior - a total pain in the *** to play against, and once he had everyone on the ice ready to strangle him, he'd get a few goals to win the game.

AndersEriksson*

Calling a perfect stranger a psychotic is way worse than what Downie did. Get a life and stop stalking the kid.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Leafsin2006 said:
Akim Aliu(sp?) was sixteen when he fought Downie who was 18 during practice, and if you take a look at that clip you'll see that Downie took his licks. Downie reminds me of some of the people I play against in my rec league. These little 5 foot somethings that run around cheapshoting people, and they know the refs are there to break fights up if they occur, so they continue playing like little pricks. But when you see them outside after the game, their the most quietiest guys you'll ever meet, because they know if they run their mouth outside, there will be no ref around to protect them.

Heh, I needed a good laugh.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
GiganticSnake said:
Calling a perfect stranger a psychotic is way worse than what Downie did. Get a life and stop stalking the kid.
Forming an opinion based on what has been a trend of "bad decisions" (I really can't believe that's what his actions are being called by some) won't ever possibly poke someone's eye out.

Downie is a tool. A psychotic tool. McQuaid clearly didn't want to fight, but Downie kept provoking him. To top it all off, he did move the tip of his stick up McQuaid's cheek. Maybe it was to get the helmet off, but my God, he did get real close to the eye.

And I know that Downie apologists will say "Oh, you're a King fan. How do you feel about Avery pulling the stuff he pulls?"

To this I say bite me. For one, with all the stupid things Avery has done, he hasn't intentionally put the tip of his stick up into someone's face. For another, I'm ready for Avery and his sideshow act to be traded away.

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Leafsin2006 said:

Like it or not (most would not)...that is part of the game. By the same token, there are big pugilists that are the nicest guys off the ice...see Laraque.

Maybe Downie is a nice kid off the ice but just plays on the edge? Maybe your little rec league opponents are nice and quiet but just play on the edge? Could be. I'm sure it is the case at least some of the time.

Say what you want about Downie on the ice...but unless someone knows him, don't be making personal attacks on the kid.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
This guy(Downie) is a psycho. Don't want to anger Flyer fans, but I'm not surprised Clarke picked the kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad