Another Downie Incident

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Jon Prescription said:
No one is making as big a deal of the taps to the leg as the dragging his stick down the other kids face...
It was highly irresponsible and a dumb thing to do. Still, he didn't drag his stick down the other player's face. That's not what happened. 'Dragging' or 'raking' someone's face with a hockey stick would surely leave a mark. Tapping or touching would be the correct verbage here. Doesn't make it right, but he touched his face with his stick in an upward motion in a non-dangerous matter. Definitely a no-no, but it would be a non-issue if his name wasn't Steve Downie.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Winston Wolf said:
It was highly irresponsible and a dumb thing to do. Still, he didn't drag his stick down the other player's face. That's not what happened. 'Dragging' or 'raking' someone's face with a hockey stick would surely leave a mark. Tapping or touching would be the correct verbage here. Doesn't make it right, but he touched his face with his stick in an upward motion in a non-dangerous matter. Definitely a no-no, but it would be a non-issue if his name wasn't Steve Downie.

Well, considering he touched his face and moved his stick downward...

Isn't that dragging? It's more than touching and more than tapping. Now we're getting into semantics at this point.

Look, he dragged his stick down the guys face lightly. How's that?

onetimer

Mar 9, 2002
PACific NW
Visit site
Bottom line, the face thing was uncalled for. Since he has a history of being a dumbass, what do you expect? He will learn at the next level. Just as an fyi, Tucker was a little pansy b!tch that would only fight much smaller players (hard to find when you 5'10 170lbs) in jr's. He was the skateaway king.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
onetimer said:
Just as an fyi, Tucker was a little pansy b!tch that would only fight much smaller players (hard to find when you 5'10 170lbs) in jr's. He was the skateaway king.

Which is not what Downie is. He's as tough as they come for his size.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightCard.aspx?Player=10667&League=9

There's his fight card. Nearly every player he's fought in the OHL is bigger than him. Some of them he's giving up 5-8 inches and up to 30 pounds.

34 fights in his career, including 20 in his only full season. I wouldn't call that skating away. His goal this year was to have more fighting majors than last year (when he had 20) but he's sat out half the year for various reasons and got traded to a first place team with a slight difference in philosophy (like winning).

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
trippyime said:
His goal this year was to have more fighting majors than last year (when he had 20) but he's sat out half the year for various reasons and got traded to a first place team with a slight difference in philosophy (like winning).

Read suspensions, deserting his team, etc

Clearly you are a friend of Downie or the family. You talk about other's bias, but yours is the clearest.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
TheFinalWord said:
Read suspensions, deserting his team, etc

Absolutely right.

TheFinalWord said:
Clearly you are a friend of Downie or the family. You talk about other's bias, but yours is the clearest.

I am neither. I'm just a fan. He doesn't seem to have too many, that's fine by me.

I don't think my bias is the clearest. I admit when he does wrong and I'm quick to point out when others clearly don't think about what they're seeing and only react based on a name and a reputation. Everyone here would do a great job as Commish of the OHL - he acts the same way.

I've done both, quite obviously, in this case. Downie did wrong, but everyone here has overreacted at the same time. He wasn't suspended or even penalized, I guess it wasn't that bad afterall.

The post that you just quoted and said my bias is clear - all I did was pull out some fight stats to prove Downie isn't the type of player to run and hide. He loves to fight.

I suppose the only reason my "bias is clear" is because I'm the only one to stand up for him on a regular basis. I guess when you jump on the "Downie is a psycho" bandwagon, all of your unoriginal and fact-less posts get lost in the maze of zombies who can't think for themselves. Then I guess I can see why I stand out.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
trippyime said:
Absolutely right.

I am neither. I'm just a fan. He doesn't seem to have too many, that's fine by me.

I don't think my bias is the clearest. I admit when he does wrong and I'm quick to point out when others clearly don't think about what they're seeing and only react based on a name and a reputation. Everyone here would do a great job as Commish of the OHL - he acts the same way.

I've done both, quite obviously, in this case. Downie did wrong, but everyone here has overreacted at the same time. He wasn't suspended or even penalized, I guess it wasn't that bad afterall.

The post that you just quoted and said my bias is clear - all I did was pull out some fight stats to prove Downie isn't the type of player to run and hide. He loves to fight.

I suppose the only reason my "bias is clear" is because I'm the only one to stand up for him on a regular basis. I guess when you jump on the "Downie is a psycho" bandwagon, all of your unoriginal and fact-less posts get lost in the maze of zombies who can't think for themselves. Then I guess I can see why I stand out.

I'm actually not on the "Downie is a psycho" bandwagon. The more I see of him, however, the more inclined I am to join the "Downie is an idiot" bandwagon.

PRB

Apr 29, 2005
Toronto, Canada
www.prbsports.com
I laughed at that clip that is for sure. If the other guy didn't like it he should have fought back.. Downie was trying to antaganise him. It looked like pure intimidation to me. The refs seemed very slow to come in but the other guy really shouldn't have stood for all that.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Belfast Giants said:
I laughed at that clip that is for sure. If the other guy didn't like it he should have fought back.. Downie was trying to antaganise him. It looked like pure intimidation to me. The refs seemed very slow to come in but the other guy really shouldn't have stood for all that.

The problem is that Downie likes to goat others into dropping their gloves. That same player dropped the gloves the next game when Downie was shaking his, only to have Downie skate away.

I think you can see from the clip that the other player was not intimidated.

Downie is a tough kid and can definitely throw them, but chooses to act like a clown too often.

priceperlb*

Oct 8, 2005
pucks1 said:
Wow.. what a nut. For the people who think that was nothing .. your on something. A 2 hander to the foot (on the lances, with no pads) can break your foot easily. I know, because it happened to one of my teammates. I was coming back from a back injury so i was playing a few games with my jr B team until i was ready to jump back up to the A team, a slash after the whistle broke one of my teammates foot. Now i usually refuse to fight at that level ( being that im 6'5 235 and are used to scraping with bigger stronger players) but that was just uncalled for. I proceed to beat the **** outa guy, but the kid wouldn’t go down...finally bloodied and broken nosed he dropped.. then the reff came up to me and said " thanks, that kid pulls **** like that all the time and gets away with it" and they only gave me 2 mins in the box. Moral of the story.. you try and break someone’s foot.. you deserve to get your a** kicked.

:eek: :biglaugh: Then you woke up and realized you're 5 foot nuthin' with tape on your glasses and that nobody in their right mind would believe that nonsense.

Since people are up in arms about something that happens in hockey at EVERY level, how about we dress 'em in tutu's? Start naming teams the Lilting Daisy's? Play with flags in their beltlines so nobody hits anyone ever again? Give every team a trophy just for trying? Stop keeping score? Move to Canada and pretend were a peaceful folk?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
NYR469 said:
mcquaid clearly wasn't intimidated and didn't even flinch...but i don't know how he was able to just stand there and keep his cool. i think right after the tap on the side of the face by down my reaction in that situation would have been a nice spear to the groin and then repeated cross checks to the head driving his head into the ice until someone pulled me off...

he should be given alot of credit for keeping his cool and not hurting his team...of course if sudbury losses tonight then things might get real nasty on wed.

as far as a suspension goes though had mcquaid reacted then they probably would have suspended both guys, mcquaid for taking his head off and downie for initiating it but because mcquaid didn't respond downie gets away with it because nothing major came from it

He kept his cool because of a lot of reasons.

1. Last year he was cross checked in the mouth by Dan Carcillo and needed surgery. Later in the playoffs against Ottawa, he was hit into the boards and had his jaw broken. In March of this year against Ottawa, one of the 67s speared him in retaliation for something a Wolves player did to another 67s player. Now he has Downie slashing at his feet and raking his face with his stick. If Downie had dropped the gloves and stick, I think a fight may have taken place.

2. Earlier this season, Kaleta of the Petes and Hastings of the Wolves both dropped their mitts as the puck was dropped. Kaleta then turtled and Hastings not only had a major and game misconduct assessed, he was also suspended. Kaleta and Downie play the same type of game in that respect. I have no doubt that Downie would have done the same thing to McQuaid.

3. The Wolves had 27 penalties called against them in the game vs. Peterborough where this latest incident took place. The Wolves, once again this past season were the league's most penalized team. Mike Foligno has constantly complained about the refs this season because of course, nothing is ever his fault. And after this game, he blamed his players for taking all the penalties. How he had the audacity to berate McQuaid for not dropping them is beyond me, but it shows that McQuaid is quite a mature, smart player for standing there and doing nothing but chirp back at Downie when I'm sure he would have been happy to beat the snot out of him. McQuaid is a good fighter so it had nothing to do with him worrying that he'd get beat up. He's just had to deal with idiocies like this quite a bit.

I'm a Flyers fan and a Wolves fan but Downie's actions concern me because he crosses the line too often. I don't think anyone in the Flyers locker room is going to do anything to him because by all accounts in both Windsor and Peterborough, he gets along great with his teammates. But an opposing player will not be so kind!

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Woof said:
How he had the audacity to berate McQuaid for not dropping them is beyond me, but it shows that McQuaid is quite a mature, smart player for standing there and doing nothing but chirp back at Downie when I'm sure he would have been happy to beat the snot out of him.

Quote or link please.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
Neither am I, as we've been one of the top drafting teams of the last decade.

I don't disagree with you here. Excellent record. Carter, Richards, etc. I have a feeling however that Flyer fans are going to be spending an awful lot of time defending the actions of this player......or maybe not.

In all seriousness the guy would appear to have a screw or three loose. If he starts waving his stick around like that in the NHL he could get himself or someone else hurt real bad. We'll see. In any event, Downie figures to be a topic for discussion on these boards for years to come.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Stranger said:
:eek: :biglaugh: Then you woke up and realized you're 5 foot nuthin' with tape on your glasses and that nobody in their right mind would believe that nonsense.

Since people are up in arms about something that happens in hockey at EVERY level, how about we dress 'em in tutu's? Start naming teams the Lilting Daisy's? Play with flags in their beltlines so nobody hits anyone ever again? Give every team a trophy just for trying? Stop keeping score? Move to Canada and pretend were a peaceful folk?
Syracuse Crunch- Jr.A Oha - Was teamates with Rob Schremp and Matt Affurey- Rink Bassed in fulton Ny. If you really think im full of S*** you can pm me and ill give u my name so u can do ur research.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
trippyime said:
So the ref completely disregarded the rules because he didn't like the kid? Great league. :shakehead

Either that, or you're grossly exaggerating. Somehow 2 minutes in the box doesn't equate to beating the **** out of a guy.
Like i said, i was down on the b team and no it wasnt a good league. Fans were pissed that i only got 2min. I did beat the **** outa him, but it was a fight... not like i jumped him. I have a tape of this fight on vhs ill try and convert it and post it.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Not even going to bother reading the last 7 pages or so.......summary of it = i hate downie........downie = bad man.

just wanted to note that Downie scored the winning goal of his OHL series last night in case someone else forgot to mention it.

might be a slimey guy but man does this kid work his a$$ off on the ice......hes going to be a very similar player to Sean Avery.......with twice the talent. :clap:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Look , I'm a Flyer Fan but I to am somewhat concerned by Downie's erratic behavior at times....but he is just still a young kid so lets not be to silly in our harsh judgement of him....

I'll grant you, if he continues in this vein, his name is likely to be mentioned in the same breaths as Kasperitus, Avery and Tucker et al......and I really really do not care for those type of players.....hopefully once he enters the big leagues he will have grown up some....and play to his excellent hockey abilities in being a hard nosed type player that can get under your skin without removing said skin from the opposing players faces!!

I daresay, it seems that Mr. Downie is the type of guy every team wants but every other team will hate!!

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Pizza said:
I don't disagree with you here. Excellent record. Carter, Richards, etc. I have a feeling however that Flyer fans are going to be spending an awful lot of time defending the actions of this player......or maybe not.

In all seriousness the guy would appear to have a screw or three loose. If he starts waving his stick around like that in the NHL he could get himself or someone else hurt real bad. We'll see. In any event, Downie figures to be a topic for discussion on these boards for years to come.

Trade him for Callahan...? :sarcasm:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
trippyime said:
Then someone better suspend him for not scoring! He's Steve Downie!

Oh yeah...he DID score in that game, didn't he.

I was just correcting the comment. I said nothing about Downie himself. A little sensitive?

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Wild GM said:
I was just correcting the comment. I said nothing about Downie himself. A little sensitive?

Sorry, just having some fun. Wasn't meant to be negatively directed at you! I should've included a smily! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad