Another Downie Incident

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Leafsin2006 said:
Akim Aliu(sp?) was sixteen when he fought Downie who was 18 during practice, and if you take a look at that clip you'll see that Downie took his licks. Downie reminds me of some of the people I play against in my rec league. These little 5 foot somethings that run around cheapshoting people, and they know the refs are there to break fights up if they occur, so they continue playing like little pricks. But when you see them outside after the game, their the most quietiest guys you'll ever meet, because they know if they run their mouth outside, there will be no ref around to protect them.

Downie fights often, especially for someone as skilled as him in juniors.

bluef0x*

trippyime said:
And I'm sure he'll miss it. :shakehead

Why don't you take off your Downie-is-my-boyfriend glasses? You see everyone in the world saying something isn't right with this kid.... hmm this is probably because there is something wrong with him. Stop being a homer

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Not sure why everyone is bashing it so bad. It's not that bad....trying to get someone to fight him. Don't get me wrong the stick under the visor etc shouldnt be done. But what happened from Downie being a hero etc at WJC? lol ppl always turn a shoulder after praising someone so high. Downie has always been an antagonist player....always would do whatever to get under someones skin...I don't think Avery and Downie are much the same. Downie is actually a quite skilled, gritty player. He can get stupid and everyone knows that. But if he controls his temper (WJC) and play he can carry a team like he did for Windsor last year in the 1st round verse SSM. He was the reason Windsor beat them.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
flyerfreak941 said:
Im not to sure if it is just me... But it seems like McQuaid turned his head and Downie just got the side of his visor/Chinstrap. Doesnt look like he was anywhere close to his eye to me which makes a big difference.

It seems Flyers fans are the only ones who don't think the stick thing was a big issue for the most part.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
SpItFiReZ said:
Not sure why everyone is bashing it so bad. It's not that bad....trying to get someone to fight him. Don't get me wrong the stick under the visor etc shouldnt be done. But what happened from Downie being a hero etc at WJC? lol ppl always turn a shoulder after praising someone so high. Downie has always been an antagonist player....always would do whatever to get under someones skin...I don't think Avery and Downie are much the same. Downie is actually a quite skilled, gritty player. He can get stupid and everyone knows that. But if he controls his temper (WJC) and play he can carry a team like he did for Windsor last year in the 1st round verse SSM. He was the reason Windsor beat them.
i am a downie fan and i also think if you watch that there was no intent to injure. its more people bashing him. id take him on my team in a heartbeat and so would any of you. its obvous he just wanted to fight him and was trying anything to goad him. i think people need to leave him alone, and let him do his thing he's been painted worse then he is.

AndersEriksson*

Jon Prescription said:
It seems Flyers fans are the only ones who don't think the stick thing was a big issue for the most part.

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a Flyers fan. But I'm also not a fan of blowing things out of proportion. This was a non-issue that in the first post was made to sound like he half-blinded the guy.

If it was a big deal McQuaid would have reacted. The OHL officials would have reacted and handed out a suspension. None of that happened. So why are people here acting like this?

Cause it's Downie and you all loooooove to pick on these guys. Yesterday it was Avery. Today it's Downie. It's just so freaking old! We're here to discuss hockey. Not listen to you guys whine and whine and whine and whine at guys who just happens to have more talent in their little finger than any of you ever will.

We know you hate Downie and we know you hate Avery. You don't have to repeat it time and time again. Why not post something else for a change. Bring a new tune to the dance. You're current one is kinda outdated.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
dannoabram said:
id take him on my team in a heartbeat and so would any of you.

I wouldn't take him on my team and I wouldn't take Avery on my team. If Hollweg ever ends up like either of them, I want him off my time. The only reason I support having Kasparitis on my team now is because he's not even as close as bad as he used to be and hardly takes any cheap penalties now.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
bluef0x said:
Why don't you take off your Downie-is-my-boyfriend glasses? You see everyone in the world saying something isn't right with this kid.... hmm this is probably because there is something wrong with him. Stop being a homer

Ignorance is a wonderful trait, isn't it?

Have you ever seen all of my postings on Downie? I'm not saying the kid is perfect, I've already said this incident was dumb, but not to the extent people make it out to be. I'm just tired of people like you jumping to conclusions about an 18 year old kid that you don't know.

And for the record, not everyone in the world is on your side. There are plenty of people defending Downie here and in other places around the internet.

Jon P. - It's not just Flyers fans. Visit an OHL board, fans of all teams are generally divided on how they feel about Downie.

bluef0x*

trippyime said:
Ignorance is a wonderful trait, isn't it?

Have you ever seen all of my postings on Downie? I'm not saying the kid is perfect, I've already said this incident was dumb, but not to the extent people make it out to be. I'm just tired of people like you jumping to conclusions about an 18 year old kid that you don't know.

And for the record, not everyone in the world is on your side. There are plenty of people defending Downie here and in other places around the internet.

Jon P. - It's not just Flyers fans. Visit an OHL board, fans of all teams are generally divided on how they feel about Downie.

Oh, forgot you were Downie's best friend for 18 years and really know him. My bad.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
bluef0x said:
Oh, forgot you were Downie's best friend for 18 years and really know him. My bad.

First of all, you couldn't possibly know that.

Second of all, I'm not judging his mental stability like all of the other wannabe psychiatrists around here.

Third of all, quit with the sarcasm and start producing something of quality or you won't last long in this argument.

Figgles*

Jon Prescription said:
I wouldn't take him on my team and I wouldn't take Avery on my team. If Hollweg ever ends up like either of them, I want him off my time. The only reason I support having Kasparitis on my team now is because he's not even as close as bad as he used to be and hardly takes any cheap penalties now.

A guy who pushes someone face first into the boards which could have broken Umbergers neck vs Downie touching someone on the cheek with a stick, which is worse? You Ranger fans are incredible. This incident is totally being blown out of proportion, by some of the posts you would think Downie took off his skate and sliced his eye out.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Figgles said:
A guy who pushes someone face first into the boards which could have broken Umbergers neck vs Downie touching someone on the cheek with a stick, which is worse? You Ranger fans are incredible. This incident is totally being blown out of proportion, by some of the posts you would think Downie took off his skate and sliced his eye out.

At least finish your what ifs off:

Pushes someone face 1st into the boards which could have broken RJs neck

Downie putting his stick into someone faces which could have caused a serious eye injury.

Figgles*

Maybe you should watch that video and see how insignifigant that tap on the cheek was. Now, compare that to what that ******* Hollweg did.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
FLYLine88 said:
At least finish your what ifs off:

Pushes someone face 1st into the boards which could have broken RJs neck

Downie putting his stick into someone faces which could have caused a serious eye injury.

I don't want to start anything with you FLY, but I really don't think he was that close to the eye. It's like everyone getting up in arms everytime there's a highstick saying "HE COULD'VE LOST AN EYE!". The difference here, is that Downie had control of his stick and I don't think went anywhere near the eye. It was dumb, no doubt, but I don't think there was any risk of injury.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
trippyime said:
I don't want to start anything with you FLY, but I really don't think he was that close to the eye. It's like everyone getting up in arms everytime there's a highstick saying "HE COULD'VE LOST AN EYE!". The difference here, is that Downie had control of his stick and I don't think went anywhere near the eye. It was dumb, no doubt, but I don't think there was any risk of injury.

Im not saying he could have..or even if he was close to....I just wanted chime in with a "what if". Like you i dont think there was a real risk of injury...but its just something you don't do.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
FLYLine88 said:
Im not saying he could have..or even if he was close to....I just wanted chime in with a "what if". Like you i dont think there was a real risk of injury...but its just something you don't do.

Agreed. :)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
First of all, that Downie kid has some problems. I mean, he is a definate CREEP. That **** was wierd. Doesn't he know that he's a little too high profile to be pulling stupid **** like that?

Secondly, as wierd as it was, it wasn't an atrocity by any stretch. Everyone concerned for McQuiads health, need to quit being such wienies. Downie wasn't trying to hurt him, he was trying to punk him. While his method was pretty lame, he did succeed in his goal.

Finally, had McQuaid "McSorely'd" Downie, I don't know if I would be able to blame him.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Charlie_Girl said:
Holy exaggeration Batman!!

Look, I'm not at all endorsing what Downie did - as far as I'm concerned he was acting like a total *** - but put it into perspective.

As a side note, Downie has not been suspended.

Nor should he have been.

As a Flyers fan I would look at it like this: there is a general dislike for the Flyers, and since the Spitfires incident, a general dislike for Downie. The public only has one side of the story and they're content to make him a bad guy.

Hence you see headlines like "two-handing ankles" or "raking another player across the face." Fact of the matter is this was by no means egregious, nor does it even remotely warrant the thread title or opening post.

Now, by all means you can't have every player knicking the nose of their opponent, but take this "incident" into context; it is what it is. Downie is an agitator and trying to draw a penalty. He wasn't hurting the guy, and wasn't going to hurt the guy unless he dropped his gloves.

Cry foul somewhere else, and find another game while you're at it!

Pretty soon we're going to be playing with full cages, a sponge puck, no slapshots, and any infraction results in a penalty shot.

"Now get down on one knee and chase the *******!"

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Jon Prescription said:
i wasnt saying avery (him and his comments aka georges laroque) i dont think he deserves to skate.
i said downie
and downie is skill also
all heart, soul and skill
he at 18 is 10x the man avery will ever be.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Im just wondering why it just seems that mostly Flyers fans are defending him. Strange, very strange.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad