Andreas Johnsson : What do you think ? any thoughts ?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
That's why we should trade him while his stock is high as there's no way he's fitting in here salary wise.

Good teams, contending teams don't trade their upcoming UFAs. They keep them, maybe even acquire another upcoming UFAs for a Cup run. Seems like many fans have this obsession with trading UFAs. Obviously some teams are going to have some of the 90 UFAs. They all don't get traded...and they would still be UFAs even with their new teams.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Good teams, contending teams don't trade their upcoming UFAs. They keep them, maybe even acquire another upcoming UFAs for a Cup run. Seems like many fans have this obsession with trading UFAs. Obviously some teams are going to have some of the 90 UFAs. They all don't get traded...and they would still be UFAs even with their new teams.
I just love it how all of you guys ignore the fact that there's a SALARY CAP and with the upcoming contracts coming up due at the end of this season we can't keep everybody.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's insane how underrated Gards/Zaitsev are so far this year.

Why do the Leafs give up the 3rd fewest goals/60 in the NHL this year?
I'd personally like to see their pairing be broken up, I think they'd play better separated from each other.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I just love it how all of you guys ignore the fact that there's a SALARY CAP and with the upcoming contracts coming up due at the end of this season we can't keep everybody.

Wow, what a crazy statement. Keeping Gardiner for a Leafs Cup run has NOTHING to do with the salary cap next year. It's obvious that the Leafs won't have cap for everyone and that Gardiner is 99% a non Leaf next year. That doesn't mean you make the Leafs weaker this year by trading Gardiner.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Wow, what a crazy statement. Keeping Gardiner for a Leafs Cup run has NOTHING to do with the salary cap next year. It's obvious that the Leafs won't have cap for everyone and that Gardiner is 99% a non Leaf next year. That doesn't mean you make the Leafs weaker this year by trading Gardiner.
So you're ok with letting him walk at the end of the season for nothing like JVR and Bozak? I'm not. In addition, they do have cap room for a rental Right D this year even if and when Willie signs. Trade Gardiner for picks/prospects and see who's out there at the TDL as a RD rental for a cup run.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I'd personally like to see their pairing be broken up, I think they'd play better separated from each other.

I understand your frustration with Zaitsev/Gardiner at times. At least this year, the Leafs only have three puck carrying Dmen....all their left side Dmen. Gardiner, Dermot, and Reilly.. Reilly and Hainsey seem to be effective so the only other combos would be Zaitsev/Dermot and Ozhigakov/Gardiner. Looks like Ozhigakov/Dermot seem to be getting better. Wait till next when Gardiner and Hainsey aren't Leafs.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
So you're ok with letting him walk at the end of the season for nothing like JVR and Bozak? I'm not. In addition, they do have cap room for a rental Right D this year even if and when Willie signs. Trade Gardiner for picks/prospects and see who's out there at the TDL as a RD rental for a cup run.

Yes, there are upcoming 90 UFAs in the league. They all don't get traded. NewsFlash, in every major sport playoff team and certainly championship contenders, trade for upcoming UFAs for Cup contenders, they don't panic and worry about UFAs leaving.
Now you are correct, there could be trade where the Leafs trade Gardiner but only if they were able to fill with a good RHD. But for a Cup run, the Leafs would be better to have Gardiner and this newly acquired RHD.
Contending teams don't tell their players on the team or their fans, we are trading a good player because he about to be UFA. Even Columbus who view themselves as contenders probably don't trade Panarin and Bobo. They need those players for their Cup run.
So yes, I'm certainly OK with letting Gardiner stay and walk as UFA because getting a first rounder in the mid twenties doesn't help the Leaf this season and maybe never.

Reactions: BillDerlago

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Yes, there are upcoming 90 UFAs in the league. They all don't get traded. NewsFlash, in every major sport playoff team and certainly championship contenders, trade for upcoming UFAs for Cup contenders, they don't panic and worry about UFAs leaving.
Now you are correct, there could be trade where the Leafs trade Gardiner but only if they were able to fill with a good RHD. But for a Cup run, the Leafs would be better to have Gardiner and this newly acquired RHD.
Contending teams don't tell their players on the team or their fans, we are trading a good player because he about to be UFA. Even Columbus who view themselves as contenders probably don't trade Panarin and Bobo. They need those players for their Cup run.
So yes, I'm certainly OK with letting Gardiner stay and walk as UFA because getting a first rounder in the mid twenties doesn't help the Leaf this season and maybe never.
I can accept that.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
AJ has elite potential. I mean he looks really good. We have a steal of a player here.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Has done well everywhere he's played. However, he's also needed adjustment time, except for the SHL where he dominated quickly. He's a good 3rd line winger right now with top 6 upside. I doubt he ever scores at elite levels though.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Keep him in the Bottom 6.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

Reactions: ponder

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Great compete , good speed , hands ? Plays too small getting picked up by the jersey front and thrown down like it's the wwe is playing too small , getting up and not doing anything about it =PuhSSY , now the fact that he put up a hatty after makes we want to get one if our guys to slam him in his head before every game but you still have to man up, the short answer is if he can grow stronger without losing his speed and sprout some hair down there he will be an excellent top 6 winger

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He has had a single really good game this season. I need to see more consistent effort before I am sold on this guy. I don't mean more multi-point games.

Reactions: RLF and CelticDruid

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Keep him in the Bottom 6.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown
I’d go with Leivo over Ennis, but otherwise this is my preferred lineup once Matthews returns and Nylander signs. Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen seems like a very good 2-way 3rd line to me.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Speed and skill alone should be enough to keep him in the lineup if he uses it. In today' game, skill and speed kill.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Last year with JVR and Bozak, I didn't want to, but I certainly entertained the idea of trading them.

This year, not a chance. Trading our second best defenseman going into the playoffs is just ludicrous. We have as good of a chance this year as we can ever assume we will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad