Andreas Johnsson : What do you think ? any thoughts ?

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I didn't suggest that.

What I suggested is that the Leafs move on from those players, like they did with JVR and Leo last year. They obviously have to plug the holes created and they did well signing Ennis to a cheap contract to do that. That's what the Leafs will have to do if they want to retain this core of players.

And by core I mean:
Andersen

Rielly

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Kadri
Kapanen

Everyone else is expendable and need to be on cheaper contracts.
dermott
hyman
par

Unfortunate part

Zaitz

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah let’s trade our second best D man who is playing fantastic and you calling him a tire fire is proof that you lack an ability to assess players abilities. Gardiner has played fantastic this year.
It can be argued that he's a top pairing defenseman. I think he will be resigned and Zaitsev would be moved it the cap situation gets bad.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gee, Leafs fans can't stand prosperity. Can't you remember the Ferguson, Burke and Nonis eras where those GMs had no appreciation the limitations of the cap. Their foolhardy signings and trades put the Leafs in deep hole and in some ways the Leafs are still paying for it....the Horton via Clarkson trade and Kessel retention.

What the Leafs have to do is sign all their players to fair contracts. If this causes the Leafs to to cap problems, then some player(s) will have to be traded...for futures for cheap ELCs. I fail to see how see how this is a problem. It's what a team wants, having capable players on fair contracts and even picks and cheap ELC players to move up to the Leaf roster in the future.
The Leafs will always spend to the cap if necessary. It's getting the mix of 23 players that is the challenge for Dubas and company.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I didn't suggest that.

What I suggested is that the Leafs move on from those players, like they did with JVR and Leo last year. They obviously have to plug the holes created and they did well signing Ennis to a cheap contract to do that. That's what the Leafs will have to do if they want to retain this core of players.

And by core I mean:
Andersen

Rielly

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Kadri
Kapanen

Everyone else is expendable and need to be on cheaper contracts.
Agreed except I would add Dermott. He's the real deal.

Reactions: smitty10

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's insane how underrated Gards/Zaitsev are so far this year.

Why do the Leafs give up the 3rd fewest goals/60 in the NHL this year?

Reactions: Wendelstache

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Rookie learning the ropes. No different than Kappy the last few years. Could become an effective third liner playing on Kadri's LW.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah let’s trade our second best D man who is playing fantastic and you calling him a tire fire is proof that you lack an ability to assess players abilities. Gardiner has played fantastic this year.
That's why we should trade him while his stock is high as there's no way he's fitting in here salary wise.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
It's insane how underrated Gards/Zaitsev are so far this year.

Why do the Leafs give up the 3rd fewest goals/60 in the NHL this year?

Because all three defenceman tandems are doing their job and we've replaced defensive liabilities on the forward squad with better quality players who actually contribute in the Dzone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zybalto

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
How Andreas Johnsson got his groove back for the Maple Leafs...
His father, Jonas, helps with that. The two talk often. A long-time captain with Frolunda, Jonas even came to Toronto earlier this fall to spend some time with the younger of his two sons (Jonathan, 25, plays for MODO in Sweden’s second-tier pro league).

“He helps me to try to find positive things — what I may not see,” Andreas said of his father, also a seventh-round pick in the NHL draft, but one who never did play in North America.

Johnsson tried to find those things, too, even if most nights there wasn’t much to get excited about. After a quiet camp that started with him on the fourth line, Johnsson briefly fell out of the lineup entirely early this season, and when an opening emerged on the left wing of the third line, Mike Babcock opted to slide 27-year-old Par Lindholm over from centre and keep Johnsson planted right where he was on the fourth line.

Johnsson didn’t score until his 11th game of the season and had only an assist to his name in the 10 games before that. But still, he tried to find things to feel good about.

“Usually, it’s making one play and be confident about it, and then make another play, and try to build on something positive,” Johnsson said. “If you can’t find (something) positive, just make something up.”

Dad passed along tips that helped on the ice, too. Like, for instance, how Andreas should position himself along the wall in the defensive zone to get the puck out.

Stand more like this, Jonas might say.
About a week ago, they talked about the dips that every hockey player goes through and how eventually, everyone gets out of it. “It wasn’t that bad either,” Lindholm said of Johnsson’s start to the start.

There were moments before Saturday that suggested Johnsson was on the verge of getting going. Like the goal he scored in LA or before that against Jersey. Or the point in the second period of the Leafs’ Friday night loss to the Blue Jackets when Johnsson came zipping down the right side only to have his shot attempt ricochet off a stick and go out of play. Another opportunity gone askew.

Right when he got back to the bench though, Babcock ambled over, and before Johnsson could even sit down, whispered something in his ear. The Leafs coach was happy that Johnsson shot the puck and told him so.

“Simple as that,” Johnsson said of their conversation.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
JohnssonMatthewsNylander
HymanTavaresMarner
MarleauKadriKapanen
LeivoLindholmBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Wouldn't mind Slotting Goat on the 4th line due to his size and ability to maintain the forecheck. Also, Ennis could rotate with Leivo & Brown.

Johnsson could be switched with Kapanen... I'd rather Play Kappy with Matthews and Willy, but he would make that third line SCARY

Reactions: weems

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Play is fine, points are down.

Maybe his best defensive year so far.

Points are only down due to bad shooting % with him on the ice at the same time as missing two of our snipers. Add in lack of powerplays to that as well. Bodes well for us in resigning him this year that his points are not indicative of his play.

I'm just worried the first line is going to come back and hes gonna start piling on points to make him too expensive to keep.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
JohnssonMatthewsNylander
HymanTavaresMarner
MarleauKadriKapanen
LeivoLindholmBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wouldn't mind Slotting Goat on the 4th line due to his size and ability to maintain the forecheck. Also, Ennis could rotate with Leivo & Brown.

Johnsson could be switched with Kapanen... I'd rather Play Kappy with Matthews and Willy, but he would make that third line SCARY

I don't mind that lineup.
I would first try out Kapanen on LW with Matthews/Nylander but if that doesn't work I definitely think you could give Johnsson a look.
I think one of our weakness's and its a very minor one but we don't have a single very fast and physical winger on lines 3 or 4.
If we want to make a deep run in the playoffs I think adding that type of player would be very beneficial considering our current lineup structure.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't mind that lineup.
I would first try out Kapanen on LW with Matthews/Nylander but if that doesn't work I definitely think you could give Johnsson a look.
I think one of our weakness's and its a very minor one but we don't have a single very fast and physical winger on lines 3 or 4.
If we want to make a deep run in the playoffs I think adding that type of player would be very beneficial considering our current lineup structure.
Kapanen will never see left wing. Unless your name is Hyman, Babcock is insanely anal about players being on their strong side, even on the PP. I'd have loved to see him try and force Patrick Kane on the left side.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Kapanen will never see left wing. Unless your name is Hyman, Babcock is insanely anal about players being on their strong side, even on the PP. I'd have loved to see him try and force Patrick Kane on the left side.
Kappa can produce with Kadri and Marleau. Johnsson should get a cxrack at riding along with Auston and Willy.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Solid player. Amazing skater, good hands.

Unfortunately he was simply Drafted a little too early, and it looks like he hasn't brushed his teeth in about 5 years with how yellow they are.

Drops his stock, imo.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
JohnssonMatthewsNylander
HymanTavaresMarner
MarleauKadriKapanen
LeivoLindholmBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I like that. I’d switch brown for Ennis though. Brown has been horrible.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I like that. I’d switch brown for Ennis though. Brown has been horrible.
I agree. He has been pretty underwhelming, and Ennis would be a nice addition to that line. However, Brown is a member of Babcock's rl gud pro's, and that membership never seems to expire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad