Speculation: Anders Lee done for the season, what does Lou do?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
im not convincing anything, im not dying to get wahlstom and the 1st to take on ladds contract. Chicago has the space to do so, im just level setting the reality of the cost. You arent moving ladd for a song so I think you need to stop ignore the reality of the price is going to be steep

Your right, we’re stuck with him and Wahlstrom. Which is still better than being without both. Both contracts end at the same time. Wahlstrom as a core piece will get Ladd’s money on his next deal.

With that said I believe Ladd will be off the Isles BEFORE his last season. But I won’t belabor this point with you.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
So I guess the only choice here is to trade Wahlstrom and a couple of 1sts for some team to take Ladd's contract. We'll also throw in Sorokin, but he was already traded to you guys in the off-season. Oh wait...
or Isles cant move him without taking a bad contract in return or dont move him at all and deal with the cap issues moving forward in other ways that dont involve moving ladd

its not really me debating, just pointing out the reality of the limited options Lou has

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
"The price is going to be so high"

*The move happens*

"He went for THAT?? Our GM could have beaten THAT"

Every year.
name a single example of an out of the league contract like Ladd's that not LTIR eligble that was moved for next to nothing

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Never said that. I laughed at your suggestion of attaching WallE to a Laad dump.

Except I keep trying to illustrate Ladd is in a very unique and unfavorable territory. $5.5 mil cap hit for 2.5 years remaining in a flat cap world and he isnt injured, he's just bad now. Its going to be far more difficult than even the Neal for Lucic swap comparison because the other team is not going to be getting an NHL player in return that actually contributes and likely wont do the trade even if NYI just toss in a warm body NHL 4th liner. there is very little upside in the other team giving up their NHL player on a bad contract to get AHL Ladd in exchange

i get this hypothetical works for you and the islanders, but theres zero logic as to why the other team would agree to it

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Except I keep trying to illustrate Ladd is in a very unique and unfavorable territory. $5.5 mil cap hit for 2.5 years remaining in a flat cap world and he isnt injured, he's just bad now. Its going to be far more difficult than even the Neal for Lucic swap comparison because the other team is not going to be getting an NHL player in return that actually contributes and likely wont do the trade even if NYI just toss in a warm body NHL 4th liner. there is very little upside in the other team giving up their NHL player on a bad contract to get AHL Ladd in exchange

Why do you keep trying to educate Isles fans about our team and situation? We've had Laad for years, we know this shit already. Thanks for the bolded update, no Isles fan had any idea of this. f*** we should just add Barzal to Laad to get out from under this right?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

i get this hypothetical works for you and the islanders, but theres zero logic as to why the other team would agree to it

And we keep trying to illustrate that the Isles now have $7mm of space because of the Lee LTIR. Lou does not have to offload Ladd to make the team better for the 2021 season and hopefully playoffs.

Perhaps this discussion can be picked up at the draft but there is no need to hammer the point home today.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
They'll go after Palmieri. Probably would include the 1st or the 2022 2nd plus some salary (Komorov?).

It makes too much sense. Palmieiri would fit the Isles system, can shift from RW to LW and is UFA, lives on Long Island, etc etc etc

If they don't get Palmieri I'd be startled.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Why do you keep trying to educate Isles fans about our team and situation? We've had Laad for years, we know this shit already. Thanks for the bolded update, no Isles fan had any idea of this. f*** we should just add Barzal to Laad to get out from under this right?
you can always take a walk if you don't like talking about the reality of ladd's deal. you seem to keep positioning his deal as completely moveable for a low cost. I'm sorry you don't like the larger, more contrary opinion

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
again, who is this team and the player they are willing to do so. then once that is narrowed down, why is the other team helping NYI here without being compensated to do so.

There are other things a team can add that aren't their #1 offensive prospect lol jeez dude. Wahlstrom is in the first year of his ELC and if you had watched him play at all over the last month of so you'd know this is a ridiculous starting point.

Getting rid of both Komarov and Hickey will save us the same amount of cap space as Ladd. You think we're going to need to trade Dobson to get someone to take them too? Give us a break

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
you can always take a walk if you don't like talking about the reality of ladd's deal. you seem to keep positioning his deal as completely moveable for a low cost. I'm sorry you don't like the larger, more contrary opinion

I never mentioned a price to move Laad. I commented on the general HF sentiment of overrating player trade value/dumps/ over and over and over to know the true cost is usually less than on HF. (This is anecdotal but if you've been here for a few years, you know).

Reactions: CupHolders

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
There are other things a team can add that aren't their #1 offensive prospect lol jeez dude. Wahlstrom is in the first year of his ELC and if you had watched him play at all over the last month of so you'd know this is a ridiculous starting point.

Getting rid of both Komarov and Hickey will save us the same amount of cap space as Ladd. You think we're going to need to trade Dobson to get someone to take them too? Give us a break
again, Lou already has explored moving Ladd, its clearly a need of his

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Phil Kessel is on a 25 goal, 25 assist pace for an 82 game season, currently. His 9g 9a 18pts would place him 4th in scoring on the Islanders, right now (AZ has the NHL’s 4th worst G/GP, the worst Shots/GP, and the 9th worst PP%)

Not sure if NYI would have any interest if Arizona were willing to retain. Toronto is already retaining 15% on his 8aav deal which expires after next season. So there’s one year left of 6.8aav. Arizona could bring that to 3.4aav.

Phil has a lot of playoff success from his Pittsburgh days. He’s got a NMC but the Islanders are in 1st place. So he might be swayed to move for another run.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Phil Kessel is on a 25 goal, 25 assist pace for an 82 game season, currently.

Not sure if NYI would have any interest if Arizona were willing to retain. Toronto is already retaining 15% on his 8aav deal which expires after next season. So there’s one year left of 6.8aav. Arizona could bring that to 3.4aav.

Phil has a lot of playoff success from his Pittsburgh days. He’s got a NMC but the Islanders are in 1st place. So he might be swayed to move for another run.

I don’t think Trotz and Lou would want him. They keep stressing chemistry and two-way play... “The Islander way.”

Also, do you get the sense Kessel wants another shot at a cup? Or, is he just content where he is now in life? Not trying to be sarcastic with that question... I just honestly can’t get a read on him versus the “stuff” reported on our social media centric world.

Honestly, I think Palmieri is the preferred target over all others.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don’t think Trotz and Lou would want him. They keep stressing chemistry and two-way play... “The Islander way.”

Also, do you get the sense Kessel wants another shot at a cup? Or, is he just content where he is now in life? Not trying to be sarcastic with that question... I just honestly can’t get a read on him versus the “stuff” reported on our social media centric world.
I’m not sure. Phil doesn’t really engage with the media, at all. He’s reportedly excellent for team chemistry and all of the young guys absolutely love him. But he’s not very good defensively, I’ll grant you that.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I’m not sure. Phil doesn’t really engage with the media, at all. He’s reportedly excellent for team chemistry and all of the young guys absolutely love him. But he’s not very good defensively, I’ll grant you that.
I'm sure Phil would enjoy Bethpage Black but didn't he request Phoenix so he could golf year round? That'd be tough to get him to waive his NMC to come to the Island, regardless of what it would cost the Isles.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
No thanks, Wahlstrom has all the tools to be a 30-40 goal scorer, is cost controlledd, exempt from expansion, abd still just 20 years old.
So I'm a closet Islanders fan - I like the underdog, smaller market teams. I like how Wahlstrom plays, and he will be a very good pro. But you might want to pump the breaks on the 40 goal projections. Maybe a 30 goal scorer, but even that would put him in the top 40 statistical forwards in the NHL. 40 goals would make him a top 10 forward in goal scoring.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm sure Phil would enjoy Bethpage Black but didn't he request Phoenix so he could golf year round? That'd be tough to get him to waive his NMC to come to the Island, regardless of what it would cost the Isles.
He wasn’t getting along with Sullivan and things soured in Pittsburgh. Meanwhile he’s a good friend of Tocchet’s, and enjoyed playing for him in Pittsburgh.

Kessel may have expected Arizona to be less of a gong-show. Or he may be fine either way. I’m not sure. There’s a chance Tocchet gets fired, too. It seems likely at this point.

So it’s unclear what’s tethering Kessel to Arizona now.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
So I'm a closet Islanders fan - I like the underdog, smaller market teams. I like how Wahlstrom plays, and he will be a very good pro. But you might want to pump the breaks on the 40 goal projections. Maybe a 30 goal scorer, but even that would put him in the top 40 statistical forwards in the NHL. 40 goals would make him a top 10 forward in goal scoring.

He has 6 goals playing 10 minutes a night with Pageau and Dal Colle/Komarov, plus a shootout goal. 5 of the goals + the shootout have been absolute no chance snipes. If he somehow gets put on Barzal's line and gets 15 mins, I think we could very realistically see 30+ next year. 40...is a lot (and Lee is always going to steal a couple), but honestly it doesn't seem too far fetched at this point - and I wouldn't be comfortable guaranteeing 30 out of any other player on the team tbh.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
He has 6 goals playing 10 minutes a night with Pageau and Dal Colle/Komarov, plus a shootout goal. 5 of the goals + the shootout have been absolute no chance snipes. If he somehow gets put on Barzal's line and gets 15 mins, I think we could very realistically see 30+ next year. 40...is a lot (and Lee is always going to steal a couple), but honestly it doesn't seem too far fetched at this point - and I wouldn't be comfortable guaranteeing 30 out of any other player on the team tbh.
I like Wahlstrom but you see unrealistic proclamations on here all the time. Is there a good chance he will have a 30+ goal season in the NHL - yep no question. To announce him as a 30-40 goal scorer seems a little early. Boeser had 29 goals in his first full season (69 games), he hasn't sniffed 30 since. Young guys burst on to the scene all the time but wear and tear, defensive game planning, seeing the other teams top pairing D all make those lofty goals difficult. Not a slag on Wahlstrom, just realistic.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
what exactly do you think it's going to cost to move 3 years of ladd's full contract?

you're delusional if you think it's a lone 1st. it's basically wahlstrom and a 1st to move ladd, then it's janmark for a 3rd.

if you think that value is astronomical you're out to lunch. ladd also just can't be put on IR, he's dead money

This year is covered so it is only 2 years of Ladd and really only 1 as year 3 can be bought out fairly cheaply. I always discredit anyone who misquotes information to benefit their argument. The Isles will be fine with the Ladd contract and fine finding a rental with the additional cap space for the rest of this season with Lee going on LTIR. The quote from you I find delusional is writing 'basically Walhstrom' as this will not age well for you...

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This year is covered so it is only 2 years of Ladd and really only 1 as year 3 can be bought out fairly cheaply. I always discredit anyone who misquotes information to benefit their argument. The Isles will be fine with the Ladd contract and fine finding a rental with the additional cap space for the rest of this season with Lee going on LTIR. The quote from you I find delusional is writing 'basically Walhstrom' as this will not age well for you...
lol,k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad