Speculation: Anders Lee done for the season, what does Lou do?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Yes, there is a 2nd buyout window after July 1st for teams with arbitration cases.

I was responding to what I thought was the idea that the Islanders could somehow pay Ladd's final year $3m signing bonus and then trade him to another team that would buy out his $1m remaining salary. That's not allowed.

Any team that buys out Ladd in his final season will have:
2022-23: cap hit $4.833m, actual dollars $3.333m
2023-24: cap hit $333k, actual dollars $333k

Total over 2 years $5.167m cap hit and $3.67m actual payroll.

Worth noting, that's a bigger 2022-23 cap hit then simply burying Ladd in the AHL would be ($4.375m), and only saves $333k in real payroll dollars. Which is why Ladd's deal is commonly described as "buyout proof".

Following up on this, how would the CBA handle the following...

Isles payout Ladd’s final year bonus, leaving Ladd with a 1m salary and 5.5 cap hit.

Could the Isles trade Ladd with 1m retention? Would that translate to the Isles paying all of his owed money (bonus and salary) and the acquiring team only having a 4.5m cap hit?

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Corey Perry has played very well for the Habs. Could he be an option if the Habs season goes belly up? Low cap hit, allowing for additional moves and expiring deal.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I think Lou stands pat. He likes what he has. He might have an eye on someone he hopes is still there at the deadline and he can swoop in and obtain on the cheap. But he's not going to part with his precious few good assets for a minor upgrade or rental.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If we were to trade a first why not this years, they idea we would give up a pick in a draft a year from now that is supposed to be way better then this year is just a fan wish
Because the 2021 draft is weak and can’t be properly scouted. 2021 picks are not very valuable outside the first few. The Montreal fan was clever to deal out of that draft and into 2022. That’s why I complimented him.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think Lou stands pat. He likes what he has. He might have an eye on someone he hopes is still there at the deadline and he can swoop in and obtain on the cheap. But he's not going to part with his precious few good assets for a minor upgrade or rental.

Meh, I dunno. Minor upgrade sure, but I can see a rental if it's someone who could put us over the top.

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
The Islanders trade Leo Komarovs contract of 3mill and 1st pick in 2021 draft
For Kyle Palmieri 50% retained.
Islanders 600.000 in cap relief and Palmieri.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Following up on this, how would the CBA handle the following...

Isles payout Ladd’s final year bonus, leaving Ladd with a 1m salary and 5.5 cap hit.

Could the Isles trade Ladd with 1m retention? Would that translate to the Isles paying all of his owed money (bonus and salary) and the acquiring team only having a 4.5m cap hit?

Retention is done in %'s, not absolute money. Maximum of 50% retention allowed. So 50% retention would leave both teams paying $500k and a cap hit of $2.75m.

Reactions: CupHolders

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
The Islanders trade Leo Komarovs contract of 3mill and 1st pick in 2021 draft
For Kyle Palmieri 50% retained.
Islanders 600.000 in cap relief and Palmieri.
Komarov was a buyout candidate last fall, will likely be one this summer, and just cleared waivers for the third time this season. The 2021 1st would be a mid to late round pick in a weak draft.

None of this makes sense for New Jersey. There's nothing of value here.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Komarov was a buyout candidate last fall, will likely be one this summer, and just cleared waivers for the third time this season. The 2021 1st would be a mid to late round pick in a weak draft.

NJ is not in cap trouble, Komarovs actual salary(2M compared to 3M caphit for 1 more season) is not really out of line to what he is worth. As for the weakness of this draft, you are overstating how bad it is for starters and their is always the chance since teams haven't got a good read on somebody that you can score decent players in the late 1st or 2nd who may have been mid first rounder if we did have a full season to judge them.

Reactions: The Real JT

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

If it's going to cost a whole lot, I agree. But why should it? If Philadelphia continues to fall and the P/O vs. non-P/O teams in the East and Central continue to solidify... well? Seems to me a buyer's market especially for wingers (or centers who can play wing). Hall, Palmieri, Laughton, Jenner, Foligno, Janmark, Granlund, Haula. Could there be more? That's a lot. As you get closer to the deadline, the disadvantage to those guys going to the north increases (because of quarantines).

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
NJ is not in cap trouble, Komarovs actual salary(2M compared to 3M caphit for 1 more season) is not really out of line to what he is worth. As for the weakness of this draft, you are overstating how bad it is for starters and their is always the chance since teams haven't got a good read on somebody that you can score decent players in the late 1st or 2nd who may have been mid first rounder if we did have a full season to judge them.
New Jersey isn't going to trade their best asset (with 50% retention no less), for a buyout candidate and a mid to late 1st round pick. Come on.

You're overstating Komarov's value and compared to 2020, this will be a weak draft class. It’s heavy on top-end defensemen, who are more challenging to evaluate than forwards as teenagers.

Though many have played much fewer games than typical by this point in the season, most leagues have played meaningful schedules — like the KHL, SHL, Liiga, NL, SL, Tipsport Extraliga, Czech Extraliga, their junior leagues across Europe, the USHL, NCAA, QMJHL, and some U.S. high school circuits. Outside of the OHL and WHL, there's enough to evaluate right now given the circumstances.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If it's going to cost a whole lot, I agree. But why should it? If Philadelphia continues to fall and the P/O vs. non-P/O teams in the East and Central continue to solidify... well? Seems to me a buyer's market especially for wingers (or centers who can play wing). Hall, Palmieri, Laughton, Jenner, Foligno, Janmark, Granlund, Haula. Could there be more? That's a lot. As you get closer to the deadline, the disadvantage to those guys going to the north increases (because of quarantines).
That's why I say swoop in on the cheap. If Lou can land one of those for a 2nd, or a 3rd and a B prospect, go for it. He's not giving up a 1st or a top prospect for a rental. If he waits it out long enough, a deal might present itself.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That's why I say swoop in on the cheap. If Lou can land one of those for a 2nd, or a 3rd and a B prospect, go for it. He's not giving up a 1st or a top prospect for a rental. If he waits it out long enough, a deal might present itself.

Yeah, I agree. I guess I just see e.g. a 2nd + B-prospect (Islanders don't have any other kind of prospect excluding maybe Bolduc and Salo) as buying one of the better players available on the market. Frankly, I think the price for Hall will be right around there for NYI, and it's what I expect to happen.

I don't think a lot of NYI fans really register how having a coach like Trotz can be attractive to players who have some control over their own movement. I get it. It's still new.

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018

Nothing of value, yeah Palmieri is tearing it up..
It will be of Value when they use one of 2 first rounders on getting Filip Forsberg.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
What about Granlund? Not the most physical player yes but works hard, decent two way game, can put up points and play center if needed. Should be quite cheap.

I know there is other players that is more suited for Trotz style of hockey but maybe Granlund is a decent option?

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Think you’ll see Lou bringing back Filpulla for something like a 4th round pick as a depth guy who the Isles know will fit in. Don’t think he gets anything more than that. Maybe a third but I’d say more like a 4th.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Think you’ll see Lou bringing back Filpulla for something like a 4th round pick as a depth guy who the Isles know will fit in. Don’t think he gets anything more than that. Maybe a third but I’d say more like a 4th.

Wouldn't be surprised by this. Weird Frans was great for the Isles a few years back, he'd most likely play 3rd line wing though not Center.

Problem is the 3mil price tag, you then only have 4mil of space for LW1...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00